News Slate: "Drought Is Coming for Your Beer"

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,518) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

BA just received a tweet from U.S. House of Representatives, House Committee on Foreign Affairs alerting us of this story from Slate. Very interesting and definitely worth a watch.
    Video: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ientists_search_barley_genome_to_help_it.html

2beerdogs likes this.
  2. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (268) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I trust the Germans to avoid pulling a stunt like inserting Gila monster genes into the genome to make it more drought tolerant. Hopefully they will use classic crossbreeding methods to stay true to the barley genome and still increase drought tolerance.

luwak likes this.
  3. harperman69

harperman69 Aspirant (234) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Whatever it takes to sell a story and pour money into something to keep the economy going.

kpodolanko likes this.
  4. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (465) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

And if they can't I'd rather drink GMO beer than no beer at all.

5. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Wait, the geneticists last name is Stein? Too perfect.

6. ThatFatBeerGuy

ThatFatBeerGuy Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 California

The nice man at the wine bar warned me about this. He said that production's been steady, but won't maintain next year without a very rainy winter (which Farmer's Almanac predicts we will have in my neck of the woods, fingers crossed).

7. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (713) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

People be growin' barley in window boxes! I know of several guys looking into planting barley here in the Piedmont. It's just a drop in the bucket, but with the desire for local and regional produce, it sure seems like a good idea. I've also caught wind of some new malting projects.

8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,837) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks Todd.

9. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (447) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

And if you change one letter in his first name you get Pils Stein.

10. eabarth

eabarth Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 New York

Why do you favor conventional breeding methods? There is abundant evidence showing that transgenesis is more efficient and safer than conventional breeding with less unintended impacts, and they both achieve the same end goal. Unless you're saying your taste is so refined that you will be able to taste gila monster sweat in your beer from one gene. Not that whatever gene they use will have anything to do with the flavor, anyway.

KS1297 and shand like this.
  11. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (500) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Since temperature averages haven't changed in the last 15 years, I guess they still have time to work on the hybridization process.

12. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Don't give Rogue and Dogfish Head any more ideas! I'm still not worried about climate change.

13. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

So, in other words, nothing has been learned from past droughts and crops haven't adapted to changing climate conditions over the last few thousand of years?

14. rgordon

Be careful now, you know how old the earth really is, don't you?

Kuaff likes this.
  15. otispdriftwood

Subscriber Beer Trader

That's why I didn't have to go to history class. I lived it.

16. shand

shand Meyvn (1,417) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Probably something to do with the totally weird anti-science contingent spreading rampart misinformation on Facebook that people believe over credible sources.

claytri, eabarth and Dupage25 like this.
  17. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

I think Otis was referring to the 6,000 +/- years of organized human culture and agriculture.

18. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,366) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts

At first glance I thought it said "Pils Stein". I was like, wow, really?

Edit: damn, someone beat me to it

Dope

19. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Whatever happens - warming or cooling - has happened before. We need to look at climate history (some already do) to try to decypher what happened to rainfall patterns in grain-producing areas in regards to either scenario.

In other words, in the last 6,000 years, we have had multiple climate fluctuations. In each case, what happened to grain production in Europe and Asia Minor? Cooler temps can mean shorter grain-growing seasons and wetter conditions can lead to mold growth on barley, etc..

We should learn more about what Mother Nature has already done to our ancestors and how we can adapt to any significant future changes, rather than blaming each other over what might be 98% natural.

20. otispdriftwood

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah, that's the ticket.

21. rgordon

I was just being a smartass. I agree with the direction of his comments.

22. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

My beer says corn as ingredient-I dont see anything about barley.

23. sfoley333

sfoley333 Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2006 Brazil

I think in the future that it's possible that freshwater might also be a problem for brewers, not so much the availability but the price. I grew up in San Diego and ever since I was a child teachers and the news would talk about drought conditions and water conservation. Before moving to Brazil, my water bill in Carlsbad had skyrocketed, but the number of Breweries in the region continues to grow. I worked for a brewery and I can tell you that they use much more water than barley everyday.

luwak likes this.
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,438) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Averages are one thing, but the bigger problem is wider temperature swings. In 2012 March temps in WI were in the 70's and even 80's, way above average. This March temps were in the 20's and 30's, way below average. These massive swings start to cause problems with plants that need a consistent growing season.

Kuaff, bennetj17 and shand like this.
  25. rgordon

We had a much cooler- and very wet- Spring and Summer 2013 compared to 2012. This last Summer I saw vegetation thrive around here like never (in my life) before. Very unusual.

26. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

What is this new "drought" thing?

jRocco2021 likes this.
  27. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

It's like the opposite of "draught".

28. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (500) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Just curious, when was there a "normal" growing season and what defines it? Seems to me the weather is always unpredictable and fluctuates over time.

claytri and TheRealDBCooper like this.
  29. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

So, bottles?

30. LCB_Hostage

LCB_Hostage Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

Well, now you've done it. You just KNOW that DFH will have a gila monster sweat pilsner on the shelves by the end of the month (unless Rogue beats them to it, but they'd probably ruin it by adding peanut butter or some such shit).

claytri and seakayak like this.
  31. rgordon

Weather for sure, but not climate. I'm sure someone around here can provide actual metrics for a more precise reading, but as in another thread going on now (Beer and Work Out (?)), this is Bro science and the sky's the limit.

32. eabarth

eabarth Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 New York

Wow, there are some really out-of-touch individuals on this site.

No, the warming we've seen in the last 100 years is at a rate unprecedented in the last 11,000 years. See Marcott et al, and the numerous confirmations of their research, for evidence.

Furthermore, it's almost certain that the climate change is manmade. I'm talking about scientific certainty, which is rigorous and lies at over 95% confidence. That is the same level of certainty physicists have in the theory of gravity, which as you might guess is used in practical applications every day with successful results. There is actually way more research and evidence in anthropogenic global warming than in gravity, if you can wrap your head around that for a minute.

Really, there is no reason to just guess about this stuff. The research is abundant and clear, and can be found with an easy search on Google or Google Scholar. I'd also recommend reading the most recent IPCC report, which summarizes contemporary global climate research quite well.

The fact that someone is talking about the last 6,000 years is a good clue that they don't know what they're talking about, as 6,000 years is not a time frame that I've ever seen used in a scientific study on climate. If you'd actually look at the various available proxy data, you'd know that the mean global temperature was cooling over the past ~11,000 years before suddenly spiking upward (we know this from observed temperature history) in the last 133 years (1880 is when we can say temperature data collection became robust enough to be considered in high confidence).

TimoP, elephantrider, Kuaff and 9 others like this.
  33. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Poo-Bah (2,027) Nov 23, 2009 Virginia
    Supporter

Or add actual s****. But seriously, the barley issue is less of a problem than the freshwater issue because I would like to think that there is a higher demand for freshwater than barely. Personally, I am not looking forward to the DFH/Rogue Salty Seawater Stout collaboration.

34. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Aspirant (209) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Beer Trader

Or people with actual scientific critical thinking skills.

The climate is constantly changing via natural processes.

Man's activity more than likely has caused at the very least localized affect on climate. (How much of an affect is unclear, but signs point to little.)

Whether climate change is good or bad...well that is where things get very fuzzy very fast.

35. shand

Beer Trader

Put up (peer reviewed studies affirming that man's activity has "little...localized affect on climate") or shut up. What the talking heads say on Fox News and images shared from conservative think tanks on Facebook have nothing to do with, you know, actual science.

Climate change is not a myth and I really don't understand the rampart anti-intellectualism framed as critical thinking that surrounds the issue.

36. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (445) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

When it come to climate change, I really appreciate what George Carlin said that the Earth will be fine if the climate changes, it is just we humans who have to adapt.
    Now, as far as beer goes, I know it is enjoyable but reality will prove too much for us if we try and continue making beer if it overrides our important needs. But no means do I lessen my love for it, but I define my love for beer and it does not define me.
    I do hope we can find ways to create beer without taking away from our food sources. But that is a big subject!

bushycook and RichardMNixon like this.
  37. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Aspirant (209) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Beer Trader

You are projecting. The only time I ever see Fox News programming is while it is being mocked on The Daily Show. At no time did my post say "climate change is a myth." The pseudo-intellectualism framed as critical thinking on the left is just as bad as the anti-intellectualism framed as critical thinking on the right.

And I will stand by my statement that the effects of climate change (either good or bad) as well as the true impact of man on the overall course of the change has yet to be proven out one way or another. The "end of the world" models that people like you worship as unmitigated truth have consistently failed against actual observations. (And in some cases directly conflict with past records.)

Carl_R, bushycook and 5thOhio like this.
  38. luwak

luwak Aspirant (269) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

well done sir!

Andrew041180 likes this.
  39. shand

Beer Trader

As I said, your statements are nothing without actual, peer-reviewed science to back them up. That's the epitome of pseudo-intellectualism, believing something without any facts backing them up. The science of climate change is far more than supposed "end of the world" models.

Kuaff likes this.
  40. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2010 Connecticut

I would like to see a scientific study showing this is the fastest warming period in the last 11,000 years (and I would say there is no concrete evidence as to what actual temps were, but through ice core samples and such we guess).

Then I would like to show you the UN's data (via CNN)
    "Climate scientists are 95% confident -- that is to say, surer than ever -- that humans are responsible for at least "half of the observed increase in global average surface temperatures since the 1950s." Now data was officially gathered from some time in the 50's till today... Yet in the same report they say that the past 15 years (which don't follow their model) were just a blip or too short of time for any relevance. That's about 25% of the time that the study took place. That is horrible science.

Now am I foolish enough to say that there is no climate change or that man may be causeing some of it, no, but I also find it humorous that 25% of data can be thrown out to force your hypothesis. Unfortunately time will only tell (and by the way it was predicted using that same UN data that we wouldn't have any summer ice coverage in the Artic this year, it actually is 60% bigger than it was last year, but that's a only a year after the lowest point on record to be fair).

Edit- I would much rather debate/discuss this over a beer, instead of typing this out on a cellphone a few hundred miles away! Cheers

ontherocks, Carl_R, bushycook and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.