Sleeping on Otter Creek

Discussion in 'New England' started by youbrewidrink, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

After reading an earlier post I just realized that Otter Creek/ Wolavers could be one of the most under the radar breweries in VT.

Since Mike Gerhardt has been at the helm, they have been producing outstanding brews at competetive prices. Not a dog baby on this list:

Black IPA
    Citra Mantra
    Double Dose
    Kind Rye
    Russian Imperial Stout
    Wolavers Alta Gracia Coffee Porter
    Wolavers Oatmeal Stout

IHMO, some of the best "shelf beers in VT"

Zack_B, gregkoko, dbexpert and 13 others like this.
  2. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (908) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Exactly. Mike Gerhardt is an extremely talented brewer and is really making Otter Creek into an interesting brewery.

Bjorn2bWild and jamesewelch like this.
  3. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (256) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

They are too big to get any credit. The smaller VT breweries will always have more cred even if some of them only make 1 damn beer. :wink:

4. DarkDragon999

Also I just found out they retired the Stovepipe Porter. Had no idea. Probably a smart idea since it was subpar.

5. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

Anyone have the Shed Nosedive Robust Vanilla Porter yet?

Otter Creek also has another Brewmaster Mike's special coming out soon in cans and bottles. It's a White IPA brewed with coriander and clementines. I'm really looking forward to that. Long Trail's Farmhouse White IPA is really great for the style.

6. concealed

concealed Aspirant (239) May 7, 2009 Georgia
    Trader

7. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Devotee (413) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Not crazy about all their beers, but the Otter Creek Black IPA and the Wolavers Oatmeal Stout are two of my favorite examples of the two styles.

8. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

The whole OC/Wolaver/Long Trail conglomerate is killing it lately. Citra Mantra, Limbo, RIS, Double Dose, and Kind Ryed all were slamming.

Their cask of RIS at Beervana fest was insanely good

HRamz3, ChrisMyhre and Jwale73 like this.
  9. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Devotee (468) Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts

Wish they didn't kill off the stovepipe porter, great porter that defined the style.

10. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (952) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Kind ryed was great. Double dose was good too but out of my price range. Are these hoppy beers just one-offs because kind ryed is something I would drink regularly.

11. DarkDragon999

It was too thin and watery.

12. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (908) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Sean Lawson confirmed that Double Dose will be returning.

13. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

Kind Ryed is a seasonal offering and Double Dose is a special collaboration with Lawson's which should be returning in the fall. (Source: Kind Ryed & Citra Mantra listed as Seasonal Beer offerings on OCB's Facebook page. I really wish OCB would put up a website again instead of only using FB.)

Year Round Beers:
    - Copper Ale
    - Black IPA
    - Hop Session Ale

Seasonal Beers:
    - Citra Mantra IPL
    - Vermont Lager
    - Oktoberfest
    - Kind Ryed IPA

Kind Ryed and Citra Mantra were the first two Brewmaster Mike's specials. Fresh Slice White IPA will be the third Brewmaster Mike creation.

14. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

I would be remiss to mention that I also really like Hop Session. Easy to drink, not too bitter, oh so sessionable.

skiofpinsk and DarkDragon999 like this.
  15. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (604) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I thought so too.

16. DarkDragon999

Vermont Lager and Hop Session Ale are very solid.

17. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

double dose was great, kind ryed was maybe even better. heard great things about black IPA.

i've been told by a reliable source that citra mantra is the pahn beer*, so i'm pretty excited that i have some coming to me tomorrow.

* actually, i was told that it's the ultimate evan beer, since people don't actually call me 'pahn'.

18. Pwbres

Pwbres Aspirant (226) Mar 25, 2013 Maine

Citra Mantra was so crisp and refreshing, I wish they had released it for a summer session instead.

19. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I drank a ton of their beers back in the early 2000's. I thought their Pale Ale and Copper Ale were boldly flavored and quite drinkable - and VT Lager was always in my fridge. I lost interest when Steve Parkes started going down the subtle englishy route and VT lager kept changing and then disappeared. Good to see they are making a comeback on the flavorful/drinkable beer front - although Copper Ale is a trainwreck these days, I'm hoping it comes back to its former altbier glory one day. Black IPA has gone downhill imo too - was excellent when it first came out, then downgraded to just good porter, now not even that good as a porter.

20. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I guess you missed VT Lager last summer then? :wink:

21. yasky

yasky Disciple (388) Dec 21, 2008 Canada
    Trader

Otter Creek is an easy one to overlook as out of staters hunt down beers from the big 3, but they've been brewing some excellent beer as of late. I could drink Kind Ryed every day if i lived in the state. Really like the direction they've been going in as of late.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  22. Pahn

i wish they released it on a monthly basis. maybe biweekly.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  23. franklinn

franklinn Aspirant (221) May 29, 2012 Vermont

Citra Mantra is AWESOME and has become my go-to refrigerator beer.

I work a lot of long nights, and Sundays I work a day shift and the lady works at night. The few weeks I've been bringing home a six pack of Citra Mantra and ordering a pizza. Great stuff :grinning:

24. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (469) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

The title of this thread had me chuckling

25. ActonBrewer

ActonBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Massachusetts

My customers never seem to take me seriously when I suggest Otter Creek as of lately. Their stuff has been top shelf and relatively easy to get.

26. Pahn

do a tasting the first week of their next hoppy beer and that should change.

27. ActonBrewer

ActonBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Massachusetts

We did. The day after Citra Mantra hit we opened it. The point of the tasting was Sam Adams Rebel IPA vs. Lagunitas IPA (who doesn't love a little gasoline on the fire?) but Citra was the highlight. In general, people needed to reconfirm that they were indeed drinking an Otter Creek beer.

Pahn likes this.
  28. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

citra monster was fantastic

29. natejohnson126

natejohnson126 Initiate (30) Mar 20, 2013 Vermont

Definitely want Citra Mantra in cans for the summer.

30. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Not true...I take you seriously :slight_smile:. I buy OC beers by the case.

ActonBrewer likes this.
  31. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (257) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

been sounding this drum for a few years to anyone who would listen...OC is definitely my go-to supermarket buy, having overtaken harpoon in my book a year or so ago...wish they would re-vamp Wolaver's IPA though, but it may tick off a few old fans of it i guess.

32. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (211) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

it may not be that easy. Apparently high alpha organic hops are much harder to grow

And agree on OC - they stepped up their game BIG time.

33. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Grabbed at sixer of Citra Mantra last night and will echo what others are saying...it was awesome

34. yasky

yasky Disciple (388) Dec 21, 2008 Canada
    Trader

I think weve gotten to the point where everybody knows about the alchemist and hill since they are world class beers. I think the best help a person could give or get now are threads exactly like this.... Beers you may wind up overlooking bcause you're zeroed in of Duble Sunshine and Focal Banger. Otter Creek has been killing it lately with some of their releases. Myabe not on a lawsons/hill/alchemist scale, but if those three are tier 1 then Otter Creek is making a push for the tippy top of tier 2.

Horbar, ThirstySavage, Sesmu and 2 others like this.
  35. makdeco

makdeco Initiate (173) Jan 31, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Stovepipe porter is one the first american craft beers I had back in the late 90's early 00's when it even came to Chicago...

One the first trips i made for beer to the mid atlantic/NE was to Otter in the late 90's from Chi ago..

Pahn likes this.
  36. Pahn

yeah, i wouldn't call stovepipe subpar at all. i'm surprised i didn't review it, because i was impressed a few years ago when i had it. stovepipe, wolaver's oatmeal stout, both rock solid.

Gosox8787 and MattTastrophee like this.
  37. MattTastrophee

MattTastrophee Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2014 Vermont

Otter Creek has been destroying it in my area, we can't get enough Kind Ryed or Citra Mantra to last on our shelves for more than a few days.

38. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Definitely the best "off the shelf" VT beers and they have the capacity/distro, easily available in a lot of other states.

39. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Devotee (466) Jan 8, 2010 Vermont

I think the quality and creativity of the big 3 has really helped push some of the bigger instate breweries to step up their game. Even smaller breweries like Fiddlehead have really made improvements on the product they put out.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  40. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (273) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Been drinking otter creek for years. When I am up at the beach house all summer and even out of a lot of local Maine choices I always at some point buy a few cases/sixers of mixed Otter Creek. I've always loved their Ofest and Kind Ryed is AWESOME. I wish it was year round(am I wrong here, please tell me I am) Double dose was f'ng awesome but as others said its tough to buy lots of it at that price point. But as I've said before I'll still buy some since I could spend that money worse on other useless things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.