Slice Beer Co (2021)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by atomicpunk5151, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Savant (1,246) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Couple new IPAs in cans out at Slice this Weekend.

Friday, February 5th at 11am, we say hasta la vista, hazy and bring you "Vaccinator". A cyborg-strength West Coast Double IPA brewed with our long-time friends at
    Auburn Alehouse Craft Brewery & Restaurant
    . This DIPA received a double dose of Mosaic, Strata, Chinook and Amarillo hops and comes in at 8.8%. I'll be vaxed!

[​IMG]

2. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Had a pretty great Stout from Slice yesterday. "What's Up Mr. Cheezle!" Collab with Bottle Logic. 14%. Vanilla, Coffee... Big Chocolate as well.

[​IMG]

3. thuey

thuey Pooh-Bah (1,681) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Oh since this thread is here, let me start off with the 2021 releases.

[​IMG]
    Picked up a crowler of XXX OJ since I missed the cans. Despite the 10% ABV, it drank relatively light, soft and not overly malty sweet - similar to Moonraker beers in their hey-day. Definitely had nice citrus/orange flavors, while not being exactly "juice".

[​IMG]
    Powerful Herbs is a WCIPA with Mosaic and Centennial. Absolutely killer. It's got that blueberry / stone fruit quality from the Mosaic but maintains that dryness and a touch of piney bitterness to remind you what the West Coast is all about. I love it.

[​IMG]

While not a bad beer, Fuzzy Dreams is a little disappointing. It's Amarillo & Citra over Golden Promise malt. In theory, it's Slice's neo-The Holy Hermit. But while The Holy Hermit is the juiciest(?) beer Moonraker has with an explosion of Orange/Pineapple/Peach, Fuzzy Dreams is much more of a fusion beer. It's dank and perhaps-overly bitter throughout, which overwhelms the citrus notes here. The DIPA base comes off a bit malty sweet too. I dunno... it just doesn't come together in a harmonious way. The only Slice beer I've tried so far that I could do live without.

But getting these beers were not without cost. I no longer own a vehicle thanks to some moron:

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, KevSal, Dimidiata and 4 others like this.
  4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@thuey Dang man, hope you're OK and nobody was injured!

@atomicpunk5151 You find that one around Sac, or have to go to the source?

thuey likes this.
  5. thuey

thuey Pooh-Bah (1,681) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks! Sorry, didn't mean to make the thread about me. No one was injured in the accident - not even a scratch - other than my car being totalled. I guess the airbags are doing their job.

6. atomicpunk5151

Trader

jakecattleco likes this.
  7. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I know I’ve asked this here before. Any change in the future of shipping or distro to OC/LA area?

gregoryG and 310gts like this.
  8. atomicpunk5151

Trader

IPAs (4 packs) still sell out in a few days at the brewery. Doesn't seem to be the need yet.

m34josh, dcgunman and jakecattleco like this.
  9. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Got a crowler of Slice Vaccinator. Excellent modern double West Coast IPA. Nailed the Mosaic and Strata on this one.

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, 310gts, KevSal and 2 others like this.
  10. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone have any of the new slice that just dropped, it sounds awesome. Slice beer has been pumping out some winners

bret27, Supermario79 and thuey like this.
  11. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Haven't got to try the new Triple Hazy "Hit the Gas" yet form this past weekend.

But that previous release was great, Platinum Cuts and Meeting of the Minds.

Supermario79 and KevSal like this.
  12. BlameHouston

BlameHouston Savant (1,036) Aug 21, 2020 California

i've never had anything from Slice until Meeting of the minds. was dissapointed 1-3, but 4th/4pack treated me solid.
    since made at Moksa i'm still questionable about Slice.
    but the word is out :slight_smile:

13. atomicpunk5151

Trader

You didn't really have a SLICE beer. It was just a collab. 3 different breweries made their own version of the beer (Meeting of the Minds) using different yeast, but same hops. You had the MOKSA version made at Moksa by the Moksa brewers. It was not as good as the SLICE Version (made and released AT Slice) IMO. Still solid though, as was the Urban Root version.

You probably should try an actual beer from SLICE before being disappointed .....:slight_smile:...

Are you near the Lincoln (Sacramento) Area? Slice IPAs are pickup at Brewery only in Lincoln.

14. Supermario79

Supermario79 Devotee (392) Aug 12, 2017 California
    Trader

i thought meet of the minds from moksa was pretty good. moksa ipa's are getting alot better. but yes slice does put out really good ipa's and like you said brewery only on the cans which sucks.

atomicpunk5151 likes this.
  15. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Personally, I liked it the least of the three MotM iterations. For my palate and preferences UR > Slice > Moksa

16. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Interesting CHANGE UP for the Slice release this week/Friday. Especially those that remember "Foam Walker" Nitro Stout from Moonraker.

"I Am Your Frother"! A 7% Nitro Milk Stout dosed with a blend of Honduras, Ethiopia and Stoutheart whole beans from @valiantcoffee. Shake for 5 seconds and pour hard into proper Spiegelau glassware!

[​IMG]

Also.... "Blinding Sunset"! The next beer in our blinding series is a West Coast Sunset IPA with 100% pure Nectaron hops! The sun's goin' down and it's time to throw one back! (7.0% ABV)

[​IMG]

The last beer in the Blinding series was great in 2020. Blinding Sunrise with Nelson.

ChicagoJ, KevSal, lucius10 and 4 others like this.
  17. bret27

bret27 Pooh-Bah (2,880) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’m really impressed by Slice. I headed up there Friday for the first time. Got their 2 latest can releases and a Crowler of a TIPA that was recommended by someone.
    Aside from the beer the staff is very nice and the online ordering system is easy. Would like to spend some more time there. The Friday afternoon drive home across the Bay Area sucked though. (Rush hour + weekend + couple accidents turns a 3 hour drive into 5).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, lucius10, _pat_ and 6 others like this.
  18. AlexM

AlexM Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Any word when they will open their taproom? I know it's small, but many taprooms are opening (well, except for Monkish, LOL).

ChicagoJ, lucius10 and bret27 like this.
  19. atomicpunk5151

Trader

None I have heard locally. We are still in "RED" Tier in Placer County. Makes it tough for them with only a few tables I am sure.

Just an FYI for anyone that stops for pickup, nice park a few blocks away. Also 5+ taquerias in local area.

20. AlexM

AlexM Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn ... if SoCal can hit the Orange Tier (shortly), I would assume Placer County would have been there by now.

Would be cool if OTP next door offered tasting flights of Slice in lieu of the taproom being open.

jakecattleco and atomicpunk5151 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.