Slightly opened bottle cap shelf life

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rodney221, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodney221

Rodney221 Initiate (74) Sep 14, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

So this morning I'm putting something in my cabinet. I've got a waffle maker with a shoddy at best lock that keeps it vertical and prevents it falling over. Well, I nudged it ever so slightly and it fell over, knocking a botle of Fumapapa onto the ground. It landed on the side of the cap and afterwards I could hear carbination just baaaaarely escaping the seal if I put my ear up to it. I tossed it in the fridge since it's got a very short life now obviously, but I'm wondering how short. Could it still be good 2 days or is any leak no matter how big or small going to make me drink this for lunch?

I've got rabbit corks too, but I know that'll only give me a day at best.

2. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Aspirant (293) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Definitely not two days. Probably not even two hours.

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,779) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If this is a standard crown cap and if you know a homebrewer and can contact them quickly, have them recap the bottle.

MikeP64 and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  4. Rodney221

Trader

That's about what I figured. Time to take one to the dome!

5. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

Anyone have experience with this method and bombers? I'd love to open a bomber, drink half, and recap it to drink another day.

6. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

If it lost the carb, it won't carb again. it's done in its regular sense... You can recap, but don't expect bubbles in the future. Sucks, but true. It won't go bad, per se, but... Drink it.

IckyT2012 and horsehockey like this.
  7. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (173) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Sounds to me like the perfect excuse to drink a beer...
    wife-'Its 10 am and you're drinking???'
    you-'But honey,I HAD to!!!'

8. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,858) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Drink it now

9. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

Either drink it now or call it a loss.

horsehockey likes this.
  10. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

I've put an air tight bottle topper on an opened bomber and drank it the next day, it didn't seem to loose much carbonation but I wouldn't have done it to anything hard to acquire or expensive (save those for when you can finish the entire bottle).

11. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

If you've got some CO2 on hand even better. It won't last forever but definitely longer than just recapping it.

12. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

I think about it like a 2-liter of Coke. If you don't leave it open too long, don't shake it up, and store it quickly, it's going to last longer. It still falls off, but it retains a good bit of the carbonation for a few days.

13. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

If it hisses, drink it. Flat and oxidized beer will be the result in short order.

14. Rodney221

Trader

I haven't opened it yet and it still seems to have some carb left to it. I managed to squeeze it tight with my hand to the point where it wasn't making noise this morning and when I checked on it a few minutes ago It would still hiss slightly if I adjusted the cap. Definitely going to drink tonight; at least the bottle didn't break!

15. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (213) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

I'd drink it today but don't think you have to beat the clock. I think it'll still be good enough tomorrow, will have less fizz though.

16. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,061) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

ive actually done this before, at the most inconvenient of time too lol

17. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,197) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Drink some now and drink some later but finish it 2day.

18. marquis

marquis Champion (803) Nov 20, 2005 England

My Dad when in his 90s used to drink half a bottle of beer , loosely replace the crown cap and finish it the next day.
    Apart from some (but not catastrophic) loss of carbonation the beer was at least as good on the second day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.