Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Great Britain Slow Traffic

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Zimbo, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I can't be the only one who has noticed how quiet the UK&Ireland Forum has become. Like many, I haven't been posting for some time due to job demands, family commitments and, to be frank, social media. What's your excuse for not posting?

2. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Been busy with family commitments recently, plus I don't tend to drink beer when it's hot as odd as it may seem. I get very dehydrated at work as it is. All of that and there really hasn't been any beers available locally that have moved me to mention them.

3. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Digging - bad internet and lots to do, also not a lot of beer.

4. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

The large number of posts that I can't get involved with because they are about say London or Ireland
    and not a lot of money for ale at the moment :eek:

5. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

There has been no threads related to tipping started :D

6. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Can't talk now, drinking.....

EmperorBevis and CwrwAmByth like this.
  7. reprob8

reprob8 May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

10 days at GBBF plus recovery time

Zimbo and EmperorBevis like this.
  8. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

I've discovered girls.

leedorham, Zimbo and EmperorBevis like this.
  9. EmperorBevis

Girls? Never heard of that brewery.

Zimbo likes this.
  10. Zimbo

No time like the present to introduce them to good beer.

11. SteelersX

SteelersX Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

This would be good for a lot of people on this site!!! haha

EmperorBevis likes this.
  12. reprob8

reprob8 May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

I fear that the concept may be beyond some, and the inability to tick them could be a real downer.

EmperorBevis and SteelersX like this.
  13. CwrwAmByth

I think he means gueuze.

jazzyjeff13 and SteelersX like this.
  14. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

On holiday in North Norfolk for the whole of August (apart from a quick dash home to have a pint with Ron) , plenty of OK beer to be found.Pint of Broadside and one of Little Sharpie last night , just the job to go down with a lemon sole,dauphinoise potaroes and samphire in the White Horse at Overstrand. Struggling to type this on my Blackberry :)

15. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Havent noticed many interesting looking discussions from which the occasional visitor/poster has something too learn and too lazy to try and keep up with the Weekend Beerage thread where some of the interesting topics do show up. Also, being bluntly honest, the discussions popping up in the Germany forum are more of interest these days.

Zimbo likes this.
  16. Zimbo

Looks like we should try to make a bit more of an effort. If you don't mind me saying.

17. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well as Marquis points out, some of it is seasonal, but frankly my hypothesis is that it is also partly the "Weekend Beerage" type thread. The "Weekend Beerage" thread in this forum is a thinly disguised general purpose "what's up thread" that helps make a few regulars feel more connected with each other (or less lonely at night). After all intruders like me can always create threads in "your" regional forum but are much less likely to post in Weekend Beerage, and they can be ignored more easily if they do.

However, the site has a rule against general prupose "whats up" treads in regional forums. One officially (and officiously) stated reason is that they often deteriorate into name calling and trading of insults. However, my hypothesis is that there is a second reason. They also tend to be exclusionary and narrow the range of topics to what the insiders want to discuss, while also providing people who have a sarcastic and/or cynical sense of humor with a place to vent and be appreciated, and/or tolerated. "Oh that’s just X sounding off again..."

You can test my hypothesis out for your self by reviewing the Weekend Beerage thread for the last couple of months (which I've not done) and looking at how many of those topics could/would have made perfectly interesting threads in the regional forum. You can also take a look at the diversity of posters in the forum. Then draw your own conclusion about the validity of my hypothesis. Be interested to learn your conclusion.

18. EmperorBevis

I will now write all of my posts whilst riding a unicycle whilst dressed as alternating Batman villains
    a top a trampoline and will only ever drink beer with a name equally or more unnervingly strange than
    "Ringo Starr's Nutsack De-greaser"

19. CwrwAmByth

Why do we need to make an effort? Others can't really blame us UK-ers for why they're not posting here.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  20. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Pretty Things.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  21. rgordon

Damn. A couple Adnams Broadsides (if available) and collecting coconuts at Penzance should work, for a start.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  22. CwrwAmByth

*of

You Americans should learn to talk proper like.

23. rgordon

Thank you. I learned from Faulkner. Mostly just straight dialect.

24. rgordon

My other retort was, "It takes Brains", then I forgot. Cheers friend!

EmperorBevis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe