Ontario Small Pony Barrel Works

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Coronaeus, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (751) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Has anyone else purchased their club membership? It looks like the first club release is coming out this week. Sounds like memberships are still available too.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  2. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Poo-Bah (8,727) Jun 26, 2003 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm sharing one to see if it is worth it. I will report back.

3. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (288) Feb 4, 2016 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Bought a membership.

Meet the brewer/owner, Sean McVeigh, before they opened. I had been following his story since the brewery was announced and they released beers through Evergreen back last Fall. Had a great chat with him and I think he's really got a great thing going there. Stopped but when I was in town in February to check out the tap room and brewery. Pretty impressive! Haven't had the latest dark sour but everything else from there has been very enjoyable. Jam Hands was delicious! Ranked 4 highest brewery in Canada on Untappd at the moment.

Anyway, I think the membership is a great value considering the exclusive releases and the number of bottles (8). Plus the glass and shirt. So you are paying about $30 for access to the exclusives and first right of refusal next year after hard products are considered. First release looks right up my alley.

#3 dabeerbuddha, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    David_kent and Coronaeus like this.
  4. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (12,447) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Their full online is open now. Never tried them yet, but this was the push as 12 beers shared among 4 people worked out to less than 3 a 750 postage and tax. This way we can get whatever bottles we want and not use Hope as a strategy through the Club memb

David_kent likes this.
  5. dabeerbuddha

Beer Trader

Well you won't get the exclusive beers even with hope as your sextant. But I'm sure you could trade for them.

hoptemologist likes this.
  6. Coronaeus

Beer Trader

I’d like to see more breweries do this for special releases. I’m getting too old to line up anymore. Charge me a bit more, give me a glass and a tshirt or something and I’m good.

Sammy, portwood and dabeerbuddha like this.
  7. dabeerbuddha

Beer Trader

@Coronaeus Preaching to the choir! Have you tried their beers? Delicate, reserved and thought provoking. Can't wait to see where they go. I'm on board.

Coronaeus likes this.
  8. Coronaeus

Beer Trader

Just a taste of one. I bought on the basis of reviews by trusted friends such as yourself. I'm planning to have some of the bottle shop beers sent along with the membership beers once the first bottles are ready. Do you have a favorite among those presently available?

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  9. dabeerbuddha

Beer Trader

Orange Whisper gets my shout out. It's a treat for subtly and layers. PA System is the tartest of the bunch if that appeals to you. Going to track down the Half Remembered Dream asap. First exclusive release I'm excited about as well.

10. Coronaeus

Beer Trader

That's funny. Orange Whisper tops my want list already.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  11. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (333) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Hoping the law/ruling changes next week so you can transport beer across provincial borders for personal use

hoptemologist likes this.
  12. MarkMcElman

MarkMcElman Initiate (123) Apr 12, 2018 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm from New Brunswick, where the case originates. It's my understanding that the only issue with transporting beer across provincial boarders concerns the amount of the beer at issue. I believe the guy from NB was muling beer on a small commercial basis - $300 fine for 14 cases of beer and 3 bottles of liquor. A few cases of the good stuff is probably not going to be an issue.

13. MarkMcElman

MarkMcElman Initiate (123) Apr 12, 2018 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Sorry - I think I might have misunderstood you in the post above. I now expect you were referring to the inability to ship outside of Ontario. My bad.

Sammy likes this.
  14. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (333) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Although a couple of cases shipped from a friend likely isn't going to raise issues, it's still not technically allowed afaik. I'm not even sure there is a minimal personal consumption allotment between provinces, it's just not enforced because of course that would be silly. But what this case hopefully opens up is the possibility to ship wine/beer legally direct from a brewery/winery to consumer across borders, because it's one country ffs!

TeemuWPG likes this.