SMaSH-ish NEIPA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JN1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. JN1

JN1 Disciple (303) Mar 11, 2014 California
    Premium Trader

Not as possible with the necessary proteins, but has anyone tried a 2-malt, single hop Hazy NEIPA?

I was thinking about trying a Golden Promise/Flaked Oats, single hop hazy to see how it might come out. Has anyone else tried anything similar?

NorCalKid likes this.
  2. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Zealot (586) May 29, 2011 Florida

Did a SMaSH a few months ago, MO + Idaho 7. Was about 6% abv, finished out at 1.012, used about 8 oz total hops, 5 oz dry hop, used that yeast combo S-04/T-58/WB-06.

Was a crushable beer although a bit thin and lacked malt depth in my opinion.

3. JN1

Premium Trader

That was my concern, I wanted to make something with more mouthfeel and a tad more malt. Maris Otter + Flaked Wheat or Oats sounds about right to me.

4. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (91) Jan 10, 2018 California

Perfect combo! Brewed quite a few NEIPA’s with that grain bill. I usually pair two hops together to get a little complexity. But a hop like Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy along those lines should hold its own. I’ve used US-05, Wy1318, Barbarian with all good results. Brewing up one this weekend with Imperials Juice(1318)Galaxy & Denali combo with that grain bill. Go for it.

5. JN1

Premium Trader

What ratio are you working with? 80/20?

NorCalKid likes this.
  6. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Rahr 2 row and 10% Carafoam will get you haze for days... essentially most of the grain bill for the top producer of the style..

7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (235) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I did marris otter el dorado smash with s04 fermentation and dry hopped and it turns out hazy and fruity as hell.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  8. JN1

Premium Trader

Carafoam better than just doing 10-20% flaked oats or wheat?

9. wasatchback

Carafoam will have less of a flavor impact.

10. JN1

Premium Trader

Good to know, I'll have to try that. I assume that paired with the right increased Chloride and Sulfur water additions will give it the haziness + creamy mouthfeel

NorCalKid likes this.
  11. Prep8611

Which brewery are you referring to? Trillium uses flaked wheat or oats in most of their neipa

12. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (51) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

The beer in my profile picture is roughly 85%ish GP and 15% flaked oats. All mosaic. It was beautiful. One of my favorites. My friends and family favorites. And I beer this a lot.

13. wasatchback

Treehouse, their beers are significantly lighter on the pallet and IMHO easier to drink. Still
    soft but light and smooth.

Trillium beers are much thicker and heavier, have a hard time finishing them lately. So many
    of the beers in this "style" that use a lot of flaked adjuncts I think have the same effect. Personally I'm not into it. Love the softness, don't want thick and heavy.

NorCalKid likes this.
  14. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (124) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I think if you allow for 2 grains in your SMaSH definition, you'd be including most grain bills for the style. Seems like the general formula is base malt + oats/wheat/rye/CaraPils. Maybe a bit of light crystal or honey malt on top of that.

If you want to go truly single malt but keep the protein high, I'd look at oat malt or wheat malt. Maybe even undermodified chit malt or 6 row. Another idea would be to stick with a more basic base malt, but try a no-boil beer. Supposedly that has protein-positive impact.

15. NorCalKid

Drinking a “Modern American Hazy IPA” right now. 97% GP, 3% C-10, US-05. El Dorado & Citra, w/big dry hop + keg hop. Tropical mango candy, it’s pretty good! Simple and crushable at 6.5% abv.

16. JN1

Premium Trader

Just Marris Otter as the malt? What did your water profile look like?

17. Prep8611

I just used my tap with Campden tablet but I have very soft water. Just marris otter. Dry hopped with 2 shots of 4oz of el dorado.

18. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    Here is that smash beer

JN1 and VikeMan like this.
  19. JN1

Premium Trader

I used Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate additions, then some phosphoric acid in the sparge water to get my pH closer to 5.2 in my last batch but I had a much more complex malt bill. Just pulled a sample for a gravity check and it looked like I wanted but attributed it to the flaked oats and wheat primarily.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hoping to get a similar result with a simpler malt bill.

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,206) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

You don't need flaked adjuncts for haze. Want more body? Mash higher.

Prep8611 likes this.
  21. NorCalKid

Yes. From my experience I mash at 152f, middle of the road but have had great results. Huge and late hop additions in the boil + dry hop. My ratio is about an oz. per gal. Oats or not just no cold crash or fining. And a very soft water + highly cal chloride profile.