SMBDC Thread 10

Discussion in 'New England' started by DrEntropy, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatyToo

KatyToo Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2010 Maine

Ok we have settled on July 28th for Canp beer. Hope everyone can make it.

2. DrEntropy

DrEntropy Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2010 Maine

I'm planning on making the Camp Beer tasting on July 28 and will most likely camp out overnight again. Thanks for hosting - last year's tasting was one of my favorites.

3. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (243) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I will be hosting a beer & cheese tasting for a women's craft beer club from Boston at Novare Res on Friday the 27th, so I will be around for a long weekend. I will try to stay in touch about the tasting via BA. Is there a theme again on what kind of beers to bring?

4. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Is anyone from SMBD headed up to Oxbow this Friday June the 15th? I cannot get over on Friday in time to get a growler filled, but happy to bring some Heady Topper for someone in exchange. Will be in Portland all weekend.

5. KatyToo

The theme is cans. Same as last year.

6. KatyToo

Is there a June meeting?

7. Drazzamatazz

Drazzamatazz Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2009 Maine

If there isn't, there should be.

8. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Does that mean the bottle of Vache Folle Imperial Milk Stout from Quebec wouldn't be welcome there?:wink:

9. DrEntropy

Ruth, we violate the themes all the time... Heck, we had Fantome Magic Ghost at last year's camp can tasting so we have precedence here. Bring it on!

10. KatyToo

Yes, cans are just a suggestion not a rule! Besides with camping over there seems to be three meetings: the meeting; the after party meeting and the after-after party meeting.

11. Drazzamatazz

I had a bottle of their Columbus DIPA recently that I enjoyed. Milk stouts are usually pretty good too...

12. KatyToo

So can we make something happen? We are quite busy this month but we wanna try. How about an impromptu meet up instead of a straight up meeting?

13. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2009 Maine

Well, there is Smutt Fest tomorrow...

14. DrEntropy

Just a heads up that we have an extra pair of VIP tickets to Belgium Comes to Cooperstown at Ommegang from August 3-5 if anyone is interested.

http://ommegang.anthemww-dev.com/#cooperstown

We're going but don't need the second pair afterall, so we'll sell them for cost - I think they came in at $206 and some change each. I'm starting here with the SMBDC first before tossing the net wider early next week.

15. KatyToo

Time to start thinking camp!! Be sure to check out the event listing.

16. BlessedBeBeer

BlessedBeBeer Initiate (162) Jan 10, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

I'll be cracking a Bourbon County Bramble and some other barrel aged goodies tomorrow around 2. Am also going to cook a brisket on the smoker. No need to bring anything except maybe a low ABV beer to sip on since eveything I'll be pouring will be big. Feel free to stop by. Cheers everyone!

17. BlessedBeBeer

BlessedBeBeer Initiate (162) Jan 10, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

Dug into the closet. Here's some more of the lineup.
    Founders Better Half
    Hill Farmstead Flora
    Capt. Lawerence Golden Delicious
    Oxbow Oak Aged FPA
    Panil Barriquee
    Mystic Saison in Cabernet Barrels
    The whole Marshal Wharf Bottle Series
    Hebrew Funky Jewbelation
    Still digging...

18. DrEntropy

Thanks again Gary - that was an awesome tasting. Here's what I noted we had but I'm pretty sure I missed a few - we deviated a bit from the barrel aged theme but mostly stayed on track:
    • Saint of Circumstance, BBC, barrel aged sour mash rye IPA. I need more of this one. The un-IPA.
    • Solitude and Society No 2, Hill Farmstead growler (ok, not barrel aged but needed to clear my growlers for my trip to HF next weekend)
    • Spine Tingler tripel, McTarnahan's (this was surprisingly good for the closeout price of $2.50 each)
    • Damon, bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout, Hill Farmstead
    • Flora, VT Wheat Saison aged in wine barrels, Hill Farmstead
    • Bramble Rye, Stout aged in rye whisky barrels with blackberries and raspberries, Goose Island (an off the charts amazing beer - thanks!)
    • Everett, HF growler. Love this porter.
    • The Abyss, 2010, Deschutes
    • Barrel aged farmhouse pale ale, Oxbow (first time I've tried this and glad I have some in the bunker - awesome!)
    • Weekapaug Gruit, CBC (palate cleanser as we took a breather and recalibrated...)
    • Panil Barriquee, Oak aged sour red ale, 2010, Batch #12 - wow! I've been ignoring this one way too long...
    • Monomoy Kriek, The Woods, Cisco. (cellared ~2 years?) - an old favorite and at about the peak cellar wise. Drink these now...
    • The Curmudgeon's Better Half, Ale aged in maple Bourbon Barrels, 11.9%
    • Spreecher Scotch Style Ale, 2008, Ale Aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels, 10.2% - good, but on the downside and past its prime.
    • Parabola 2011, Firestone Walker. Perfect!
    • Barrel Aged Lake Trout Stout, 2010?, Sebago. Also on the downside and a bit thin on the palate compared to the earlier beers. Drink these now or trade em.
    • Dark Intrigue, Victory... no notes from here on out, looks like I started drinking about this point in the evening. :stuck_out_tongue:
    Thanks again Gary!

19. bordsox

bordsox Initiate (38) Jun 5, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

If by some miracle thoes tickets are still availabe I would love them. I was not guarateed that weekend off when they sold out in 15 seconds back in April ans when I was sure of the weekend even regular tickets were gone. Hit me back at bordsox@yahoo.com if you would.
    Justin

20. DrEntropy

Tickets are yours Justin! Happy 4th!

21. KatyToo

While I think that hanging out with Tim is going to be fun I think it is going to be a small sad little meeting with just Tim, Brian and myself. I hope more of you can come but have just not RSVP'd yet.

22. Drazzamatazz

Myself and Bender will be coming.

23. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Oh, sorry! I will be there, too.

24. KatyToo

Good. I am glad that you all can make it.

25. DrEntropy

Merc isn't working on Saturday but is working early on Sunday. If she decides to come along I'll let you know ahead of time and we'll head home that evening. If I come alone I'll camp out that night. Thanks for hosting - this is one of my favorite SMBDC tasting venues and I'm looking forward to visiting Panther Pond again this year.

26. DrEntropy

I've just decided to try to get a ticket to the Hill Farmstead 2012 Festival of Farmhouse Ales that's scheduled for Saturday August 11. I'll be driving up and back from Portland alone so I'll have room for anyone who wants to come up with me that Saturday, camp overnight and drive back to Maine on Sunday.

Tickets are limited to 300 and go on sale at 7 pm this Sunday - $35 for admission, camping and 5 tasting tickets. Additional tickets are $5 each.

http://www.hillfarmstead.com/ffa2012/

If I can get a ticket this Sunday I'll be leaving the Portland area around 7:30 that Sat morning for an ~11 am arrival to set up my tent and be locked and loaded by the time the gates and taps open at noon. Let me know if you score a ticket and are interested in car pooling up and back with me.

We were up there last weekend and I'm convinced Sean is making some of the best beer in the world these days. Can't get enough and this looks like a fun, insane event.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  27. DrEntropy

Ok! I got a ticket my buddy Chris got one too, so we'll be driving up and back together. Anyone else get a ticket? We'll have room for at least one more in the car and maybe two, although this will cut into our beer haul space... :wink:

28. DrEntropy

I chatted with Paul Davis at the Southern NH Brewers Fest yesterday and will be in touch with the folks who contributed to the kickstarter campaign soon to come up with some dates in September for our tour and bottle-share picnic at the brewery/farm. Here's a photo of his table - the SMBDC is listed as a contributor in the 7th column from the left, 2nd row from the top:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.p...2232137689.412703.293064537688&type=1&theater

He's very appreciative of our support, thanked us again and is looking forward to our visit. I liked all the beer he was pouring yesterday and the festival as a whole was awesome.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  29. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

See you there, Tim!

DrEntropy likes this.
  30. KatyToo

Just a few more days!!!!!

31. emaineiacman

emaineiacman Initiate (6) Oct 25, 2007 Maine

Amy and I will not be attending. We will be in MA at a music festival. Have fun Y'all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.