Smoked Mild recipe?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ljbonadonna92, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljbonadonna92

ljbonadonna92 Aspirant (241) Oct 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Thinking about brewing something different like an English Mild with smoke characteristics. Can anyone help me out with a recipe for something like that?

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Smoked malts are a lot of fun. I like my beers heavily smoked. If you want to experiment around with a few of the commercial varieties, you can use a lot of Weyermann smoked malt (30-50%) and still be at a moderate smoked level. Briess is supposed to be a little stronger, from what I've heard. I say to start with 30%, but I'm learning that most brewers back theirs down to something subtle like 20%. It really depends on what you want the beer to be. Mine aren't a session beer, but something I really enjoy weekly.

Just sub the 20-50% smoked malt from the base malt and make your recipe as you would otherwise. Extract, Partial or AG for the recipe?

3. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Briess Cherrywood smoked malt might be nice in a mild. Several years ago, I used 1 lb in a 3 gallon partial mash batch of Schwarzbier. I liked the smoke level and submitted it to a competition. The judges thought it was a reasonably good schwarzbier but were underwhelmed by the smoke character. You'll need to figure out where your personal preferences lie.

4. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

Yes, I've found in my limited (n=1) Briess Cherrywood smoked malt doesn't bring a ton of smoke to the party. If you want a lot of that, either use a higher percentage or look elsewhere.

5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

When I used it, it had a reputation for being potent, so I was cautious. In any event, I was happy with it, and I think I would have found double the amount to be too much. For me, 1-2 pounds might be the right smoke level for a 5 gallon smoked mild.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,609) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I homebrew a Brown Ale with 3 lbs. of Weyermann Smoked Malt and I personally like amount of smoke in that beer. I brew 5 gallon batches.

Cheers!

7. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

This brings up a good point. I wasn't sure what 'potent' meant. I used less than a pound in a Scotch ale and it was practically imperceptible. Next time I'd probably do two pounds and expect a little more than just a hint.

8. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

It's all a matter of preference. I had around 20% of smoked malt (2 lbs weyermann smoked malt and 0.5 lb oak smoked wheat) in a dunkelweizen, and I would say that gave it smoke 'characteristics'. I would never consider it a rauchbier, but if you're wanting to add smoked malt for complexity, I would go with @pweis909 's advice and do 2 lbs cherrywood smoked malt. 1.5 lbs of cherrywood added a nice element to an imperial stout I brewed a while back, but if it's added to a mild it'll obviously be a little more noticeable.

9. drewbeerme

drewbeerme Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2007 Illinois

I've done a smoked mild a few times and love 'em. I don't have the recipe in front of me but I'll try and post it soon. I like rauch malt and I believe it was around 40% of the grist. I'd consider using less crystal than you normally would for a mild because smoked malt comes off a little sweeter than non-smoked pale malts. A clean bittering charge at around 20ibus is all that's necessary for the hops.

10. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Meyvn (1,316) Mar 15, 2003 California
    Society

11. ljbonadonna92

ljbonadonna92 Aspirant (241) Oct 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice. The recipe I'm formulating as of now is an All grain recipe with a moderate smoke character. I don't want an overwhelming amount of smoke and I think the Cherrywood smoked malt being as tame and as sweet as it is will be perfect. Although if I'm not happy with the amount of smoke I'll probably move on to something a little more pungent.

12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,818) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I split a bag of the Briees Cherry smoked, it came out of the foil lined bag very smoke, more than the Weyermanns we get.
    Smoke disapates with time.

If you want to control the le el, learn to smoke your own malt.

The Briess mesquite smoked malt is intriguing, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.