Snallygaster 2019

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by coquet, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coquet

coquet Initiate (106) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Snallygaster tickets went on sale today, and it sounds like this year's event may be better than ever. For those who haven't heard, the biggest change is that it will now be a flat-fee event with unlimited pours. Goodbye Snallybucks, and good riddance to them charging 8 Snallybucks for 4 ounces of Barrel Aged Abraxas. At $50, the general admission ticket is a steal, and the $100 VIP ticket is less than I think I spent in past years, so this is a much welcomed development. The article I linked also notes there will be at least 25 new breweries, including de Garde and Bissel. With the changes they made over the last few years (better organization at entry points and moving the event back to October to avoid summer heat and summer storms), I've got pretty high hopes.

elliot23, VABA and MRN like this.
  2. MRN

MRN Initiate (152) Jul 20, 2007 Virginia

I agree. Plus the return of a commemorative tasting glass for pours instead of the single-use plastic Dixie cups is a welcome change. The pours for the more rare beers will be limited to 4-oz., but for the rest, you can get 8-oz. pours. Blue Jacket will be giving out cans and I assume if The Alchemist returns, they will give out cans again.

3. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,297) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

I'll bet that Churchkey will have some sweet stuff on tap as well. I attended Snallygaster several years ago and it rained. If I attend this year, it will rain again. However, I can be bribed to stay away this year - if the prices are right.

Sheppard and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  4. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Lucky for us there is still plenty of time to grow a neckbeard to protect from the rain.

5. Topease

Topease Initiate (80) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Should be noted that VIP early access has been extended from 90 minutes last year to 2 hours. Factor in the unlimited pours and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rarer brews kick well before GA.

6. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (119) Jan 27, 2009 Maryland
    Trader

This will most certainly be the case. But with 150 amazing breweries, if you only have a general admission ticket, you probably won't notice.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  7. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,214) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

VIP sold out.

elliot23 likes this.
  8. PortendingEnnui

PortendingEnnui Initiate (33) Sep 11, 2009 Virginia

Beer list drops have started:

ArlVABeerGuy and errantnight like this.
  9. PortendingEnnui

10. Sheppard

Trader

Is there a strategy to this festival? Have not been to a beer fest in quite a few years but was going to take a laissez faire, see what doesn't have lines approach.

julielynndubee likes this.
  11. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (279) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Last year's Snally was my first ever beer festival. I just had a regular pass. I don't recall lines being much of a problem, and with no ticket system this year to slow transactions down, I can only imagine less issues with lines. Then again, I had a list of 50 or so beers to try, way more than I actually did try.

Sheppard likes this.
  12. PortendingEnnui

They have a full list available now as csv.

https://www.snallygasterdc.com/

Recommendations for what to hit first would be appreciated. I dont have the knowledge to identify the cult/grail stuff. TIA.

13. coquet

Trader

NRG, the group behind Snally, helpfully posted the tap list in sortable fashion on Untappd. Just search venues for "Snallygaster 2019" and select the "sort by global rating (high to low)" option. The brews that are most highly rated are the most likely to kick the fastest. Word to the wise, they posted Barrel-Aged Abraxas using its overall entry rather than its vintage-specific entry. If you search for the 2019 vintage, you'll probably notice a distinct perception that this year's offering represents an off year.

PortendingEnnui likes this.
  14. MRN

That's the big question. As coquet suggested, Untapp'd is a good resource. Based on other suggestions I seen, look for breweries not normally distributed in this area. You can sort the Untapp'd Snallygaster 2019 list by location or style. Check other BA regional forums to see which breweries are creating a buzz. DC Beer and Brightest Young Things have been posting Snallygaster recommendation lists for the past few years.

Try a beer style you've never had or rarely have had. I may try Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Bière de Garde from Garden Path Fermentation since I've only had one Bière de Garde before and the name is just so amazingly silly.

Do you have favorite local breweries? Sample some of their beers and let them know you appreciate their efforts.

PortendingEnnui likes this.
  15. RKP1967

Does anybody know if you're allowed more than one beer at a time, or are you limited to what you currently have in your souvenir glass? Meaning can you bring your own cups, get multiple pours of various beers before they run out, pour the servings into your own cups and then drink them at your leisure? I sort of did this last year as there was no one designated glass and each beer cam in it's own plastic cup. I want to pace myself so I drink moderately throughout, but I also don't want to miss out on some of the beers that will kick earlier than others.

Obviously, high scoring beers of certain popular styles that are rarely if ever seen in the area are the ones that will kick first. What those beers are is your homework, I'm not giving you the answers!

16. Destihlinator

Destihlinator Initiate (114) Feb 26, 2008 Maryland
    Trader

Anyone have any breakfast or general food recommendations nearby for before the fest?

17. dkol1875

dkol1875 Initiate (31) Feb 12, 2018 District of Columbia
    Trader

Biscuit sammie(s) from Baked Joint if you're going breakfast, Taco Bamba or Partisan for lunch, IMO. All within walking distance from the entrance

Sheppard likes this.
  18. Sheppard

Trader

I just printed a map, a pivot table of my friends and my "want to try" list by tent, and the list of beers itself. I need to pack an empty water bottle, but I am ready!

19. coquet

Trader

You, sir, have done my toilet a great disservice.

hoppytobehere and Sheppard like this.
  20. RKP1967

I came here to read about people's impressions of the beers, the event, etc. And this is the one comment. Lame.

21. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (265) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Uh, anyway... for those that went, how did it go? Was out of town and couldn’t make it, but curious how it worked out with the non-VIP pass. Beers you wanted still available? Lines? What were the best things you had?

22. coquet

Trader

It was crazy how hit-and-miss the lines were. From VIP opening, Monkish had a 15-minute line, and their beers seemed to have been the first to kick throughout the festival. Other Half was literally right next to it, and they had no line. I whiffed on the Monkish, finding myself about 10 spots back from the booth when their second beer kicked. Fortunately, OH Mixed Berry Crunchee was possibly my #1 from the day, and OH Bourbon Barrel Pastrytown wasn't far behind. Fremont Rusty Nail and Magnify Bourbon Barrel Sinister Prime Minister were among my other standouts, but I had a lot of phenomenal beer. Very well done event.

My only gripe is that it seemed they sold a lot more VIP tickets this year versus prior years, resulting in long lines at the likes of Monkish, Perennial, and Cantillon. I suspect that might have been necessary to offset the squeeze on margins caused by the switch to all-you-can-drink. If that's the case, I guess I'm fine with the trade-off.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  23. coquet

Trader

I will defend my post with the following two comments.

First, the event hadn't started when I posted that. The only meaningful impression I could have noted at the time was "I don't recall the VIP line stretching around two city blocks last year."

Second, I have never apologized for a well-placed poop joke, and I'm not about to start now. Scatological humor is about the most high-brow stuff in my repertoire, and I'm going to play to my strengths.

Redondo_Terp, Skabiski and RKP1967 like this.
  24. RKP1967

Thanks for the writeup! The two OH beers and the Rusty Nail were indeed standouts. Didn't get the other one. Also thought the Jackie O's stout was really good, as well as the Southern Grist Boysenberry smoothie. I'm not even a but stout guy but i thought they were the MVP style I only had a regular ticket and obviously missed out on some good beers, but was very happy with the selection i did have.

25. TheBeerThrillers

TheBeerThrillers Initiate (118) Jul 25, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Who all got to go? How was it? I so badly wanted to go to this but couldn't get off work for the two days (day of event and Sunday travel day).

26. MRN

I know some of you don't like kids in breweries or beer festivals, but I brought my sons, daughter, and granddaughter and we were pleasantly surprised to find out Snallygaster 2019 had a Family entrance. We were the third family in line. The Kraken tent was next to the Family entrance, so I immediately hopped into the just-forming Cantillon line for a Fou' Foune. After 2 pm, I was able to walk up and sample their remaining Classic Gueuze. I also skipped the long Monkish line and got an Other Half Bourbon BA Pastrytown. After the long line for Dancing Gnome at the Aslin 4th Anniversary, I was able to just walk up and get a Nobody's Robot IPA.

I agree with coquet, the lines were very hit or miss. I believe Cantillon eventually had the longest line, but Perennial wasn't much shorter. I was able to walk up to very short lines for Dancing Gnome, Other Half, Vitamin Sea (Just another T-Shirt Shop), Deciduous (Double Lollipop), Magnify (Bourbon BA Sinister Prime Minister), Finback (Triplex), Foam (Bonus Track: 20), The Veil (Courage & Fear), Hill Farmstead (Marie), etc.

It was extremely well-organized and the weather was great. Every volunteer and staff person we met were working hard and in great spirits. Loved the glass sampler glass after last year's plastic Dixie cups. My daughter and I had fun taking my granddaughter around with her Food Adventure Passport to collect stamps by trying the different free kid-sized bites at the food vendors. We definitely plan on returning next year.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  27. Sheppard

Trader

I didn't have any complaints. We anticipated the Cantillion and Drie lines being very long so we skirted past that and quickly found ourselves at the gravity kegs. I think that the first couple sours that I had were just not sitting well and I mostly avoided them the rest of the afternoon. The highlight for me was not waiting at all for Tilquin. Draft Gueuze is a true treat and to me an incomparably perfect beer on a day like Saturday was. Other stands outs were Cigar City's Xquic, SN Rum BA Quad, Creature Comforts' Eukaryote, Oxbow, Bierstadt, Horus's Hazelnut Harris, de Garde F.A.I.L, and pFriem's pilsner. The festival was well run and I had a great time. I would recommend it to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.