Snowboarding trip from DE-Scranton, PA this weekend

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by slvrmon82, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slvrmon82

slvrmon82 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2007 Delaware

Hey BA folks,

The wife and I are taking a trip from beach area, Delaware to Scranton, PA leaving tomorrow morning and returning Sunday night.

The plan as of now.

Home to Montage Mountain with a stop in Hamburg,PA at Cabela's for some gear. (my first time snowboarding) leaving Saturday morning and coming home sometime Sunday afternoon.

Looking for a place to fill a growler or two on the way up. I have lots of bottles to bring with me so mostly looking for growlers or GREAT beer shops worth stopping on the way.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Cheers, Matt

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

for Growlers based on your route

Iron Hill in West Chester (make sure it is a growler that doesn't have a logo on it of another brewery)
    UNO in Exton (most Unos in PA do Growler fills now. I'd call to make sure)

If you go out a way a little bit towards Downingtown you can get to the Victory Brewpub for Growler fills.

also, wash Uffizi drive me to Firenze.

3. merc7186

merc7186 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 New York

When you get to Scranton, practice sobriety because it will be very easily to come by when in Scranton. There is one over hyped beer bar in downtown Scranton that has only about 20 taps and they are not impressive by any means. After that....craft beer wasteland.

And before the locals come out of the wood work calling me an A-Hole...I travel there every 5 weeks and my only craft beer oasis is my back seat when I bring my own bottles.

4. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

Although looking at my suggestions you may be too early for those places.

5. mdillon86

mdillon86 Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

I grew up around Scranton. Every time I visit home I stop at Sabatini's Pizza in Exeter, PA. They always have good stuff on draft, do growler fills, and have a lot of bottles. I always leave spending more than I would have liked. Another pretty good bottle shop is J&H in Plains, PA. Neither of these places are in Scranton, but are not too far out of the way at all. J&H is just off of the Northeast Extension.

Merc7186, check those places out next time you're in Scranton. I agree that Northeastern, PA is not the best beer area, but there's good stuff to be found if you know where to look. I guess it's mostly around Wilkes-Barre though.

6. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

Krugel's Georgetown Deli in Wilkes Barre has DFH 120 on draft as well as a few others, and they fill growlers. The shop is a little pricey sometimes, but the selection of bottles is NUTS!

mdillon86 likes this.
  7. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Zealot (724) Dec 9, 2006 Maryland

Stewarts in Bear De is a brewpub that does growler fills of their own beers. Always thought highly of their quaffs:
    http://stewartsbrewingcompany.com/location/

About 10 minutes off I95, On route 40 between 896 and 273.

8. Matishopbrew

Matishopbrew Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

If you're sticking to that route, Whole Foods Devon in Wayne, PA won't take you far off course. It has a pretty solid bottle shop and normally has six taps for growler fills. Check out beermenus.com for a fairly updated list. I think the "pub" is open the same hours as the store but you might want to double check that.

Unsolicited boarding advice. Not sure what kind of gear you're buying at Cabelas, but if this is your first time boarding, don't buy a board. Rent, demo test, or borrow til you figure out what size/shape/bindings you like.

9. fiedler84

fiedler84 Zealot (722) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I live outside of Scranton.

For Bottle shops, visit: Exit 190 Beer Deli in Dickson City. Wegmans in Dickson City has a solid selection.

J&H Beer in Pittston is your best bet for a bottle shop. Best selection & family run. Good people.

As far as bars/food in Scranton, do yourself a favor and visit Aurants in Duryea. It's solid with a decent beer selection. Merc7186, I suggest you visit there at some point. Sabatini's has a good selection too. Arena Bar & Grill in Wilkes-Barre has a ton -- but it's a little bit of a drive.

Feel free to drop me a message if you need anymore advice/questions on the area, beer wise.

Kevin

mdillon86 and ClockworkOrange like this.
  10. fiedler84

fiedler84 Zealot (722) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sorry, just saw the growler bit. Aurants doesn't do growlers, but if you don't have dinner plans..I recommend it. They have a FB page that you can see their menu. It's not your typical bar..the food is solid. A bit pricey, though.

Not too much Growler wise. Arena Bar & Grill, and Sabatini's may be your best bet.

11. slvrmon82

Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to try some of these places tomorrow. Will let you know what we ended up doing.

Cheers, Matt

12. merc7186

merc7186 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 New York

I will say that their beers do surprise me at times but their prices are higher fo sure. With that being said, a bottle shop is great but when you are staying in town, I want a place where I can order bar food and park my ass in a stool, drink a good beer and watch a game. If this place exists, please, for the love fo god, let me know.

13. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

You can check out the V-spot. They sell craft beer and Andy Gavin's which have like 30 to 50 taps. Self serve too. Both are located in Scranton.

14. mdillon86

mdillon86 Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

Check out Aurant's, the Anthracite, and Arena Bar and Grill. Aurant's food is awesome and so is their beer

ClockworkOrange likes this.
  15. SamuelJackson45

Their is craft beer in NEPA. Just not the sort after stuff you would find in the Philly Area. But Sabitini's , Arena Bar and Grill and Aurants would have the better beer selection in the area. And another place to mentioned is the Backyard Ale House.??? Another bar in Scranton that sell craft beer.

16. marshmeli

marshmeli Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

I was gonna suggest Wegmans in Dickson City as well.

17. slvrmon82

And the winner was.....Whole Foods Market, 500 West Germantown Pike, Plymouth Meeting, PA.,

I wasn't able to stop at any on the way up based on time (too early). However, on the way back we found Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting and guess what......50/50 Eclipse!!!! Should have a few bottles left (they did Sun night). Picked up 2 each of Mellow Corn, Rye, and Old Fitzgerald for $23/btl.

Thanks so much for all your help and have lots of places to check out next time I'm up.

Again thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers, Matt

18. SamuelJackson45

Sounds like only a day trip happen.???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.