So About 20-40 Ounces.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TealTokterFest, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM.

1. TealTokterFest

TealTokterFest Initiate (112) Apr 15, 2018 Ohio

I'm thinking of alternating between six packs and 20-40 ounces every other weekend or so.

What Pale Ales come in anywhere from 20-40 ounces?

2. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Champion (855) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

1. None that I can think of.
    2. Why?

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,256) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

What's the problem with just drinking 2 - 4 12 oz. bottles and getting close to 20 - 40 oz.?

cavedave, Leebo, Bitterbill and 4 others like this.
  4. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (782) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

A crowler and a Rolling Rock pony bottle should work twice a month..You're on your own for the six-packs.

Bitterbill, Mothergoose03 and FBarber like this.
  5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,916) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

To answer, it would help to know why. As @jesskidden indicates, the answer lies in increments of 12oz doses.

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,862) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Member Beer Trader

TG PseudoSue and XHops (all variants) are available in bombers. I WISH they were available in six packs of 12-ounce bottles. (Edit: like Zombie Dust.)

#6 dcotom, Apr 16, 2018 at 2:31 PM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    TealTokterFest likes this.
  7. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (497) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

TonyLema1, cavedave, Lahey and 4 others like this.
  8. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Aspirant (252) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Is it really important to be able to say, " I only had one beer"? Three 12 oz. bottles is still less beer than one 40 ouncer, even though you'd have to say that you had three beers.

TealTokterFest and Lahey like this.
  9. Lucular

Lucular Meyvn (1,465) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I solved it. 2x12oz + 1x16oz = 40 oz. Math.

nw2571, TonyLema1, Leebo and 8 others like this.
  10. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,580) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

I am puzzled with this one, he posted something similar in the homebrew forum.
    . Not sure of what OP is going for.

11. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Certainly going for his sweet spot. Obviously the answer is a bomber of SNPA :slight_smile:

12. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (525) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Premium Member

OP may not be a troll, but it's hard not to have some skepticism toward posts from 'members' who signed up just yesterday and ask such head-scratcher questions.

13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,034) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

The much maligned (and deservedly so) 22oz format bottle is your friend here. Two of those would put you at 44oz. Nobody's gonna ding you for 4 extra ounces.

Lahey likes this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (782) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

This is really good Monday stuff. Mondays are often oblique and off the wall, which should remain fun, even if it's at no one's expense. Monday is a good day to man a bridge or to fish, I suppose....

15. bbtkd

Premium Member

Doubting she's a troll, because she put in her location, bothered to upload an avatar, and she also has likes.

16. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Buy a keg. You can then have any serving size you want

Enjoy

Lucular, TealTokterFest and bbtkd like this.
  17. TealTokterFest

2. Because if I have a six pack or any amount of packs, I will obligated to drink more bottles.

See what I mean?

This guy gets it.

I have a penis and facial hair, but I will take that as a compliment. Thank you. :sunglasses:

I don't do cans as I feel I get a "tin flavor" rather then glass which as far as I can tell has no flavor.

So is a bomber like a 20 or 22 oz "40 bottle"

[​IMG]

Sorry I didn't think to upload this. What is the Arrogant Bastard of Pale Ales? I really enjoyed it but want more bitterness which I think equates to more Cascade hops.​

#17 TealTokterFest, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 5:32 PM
  18. ilikebeer03

So is your aversion to the extra bottles that you don't want them around b/c you may not finish the other 3 beers from the 6 pack?

Are you concerned that you'll buy a 6 pack, not like it, and then have 3-5 bottles laying around of beer you don't like?

What is the difference, for you, between drinking 3-4 12oz beers or 40 oz of beer?

19. TealTokterFest

My concern is that I will drink too much.

If I get "just drunk enough" off of one 40 oz or two 20 ozs (roughly) if there are no more bottles I can't nor will want to drink more beer.

20. ilikebeer03

Ah. That makes more sense. Breweries are starting to package some offerings in 19.2 oz. cans. That may be a good place to start. I think you'd have a hard time finding any craft beers in 40 oz format.

That said - and not to pass judgment here, but if you need to stop yourself from drinking by not having alcohol in the house...maybe that is worth some introspection.
    We all enjoy drinking as a hobby, but if you aren't careful it can get out of hand. But good on you for proactively trying to keep things in check

Increased bitterness comes from hops added early in the boil - no necessarily Cascade. The bitterness can be balanced by sweetness and make the hop bitterness less perceptible. i.e. imperial stouts for example, are often high in bitterness, but do not taste that way b/c the bitterness is masked by malt sweetness.
    If bitterness is what you seek, check the IBUs (International Bittering Units) of the beers you're buying. High number typically = more bitter.

In any case, best of luck to you, brother.

Ranbot and TealTokterFest like this.
  21. TealTokterFest

Thank you for the sound advice. The reason I want to alternate is so I drink either once a week or once every two weeks. Both only on the weekends.

I also think it takes guts to tell someone to "introspect"

Respect, brother.

22. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (229) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Most liquor stores have a single section. I'll grab a few that I want to try, but I'm not sure I want to invest in an entire 4/6 pack. You could go that route and just buy 1-2 bottles at a time.

Squire and Lahey like this.
  23. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (497) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Just pour the beer in a glass (like the one in your photo above) and there's no metal flavor. All beer cans have a thin interior liner so there's no contact between the beer and aluminum of the can. If you drink the beer straight from the can, yeah, you'll taste the can pressed up against your mouth. If people still taste metal after pouring into a glass, it's usually in their heads (i.e. mental bias against cans/power of suggestion). Consider this... Draft beer comes in metal kegs, but no one complains about metal flavors in draft beer. The keg is out of sight, out of mind, no metal taste. Beer from a can visually reminds the mind of metal, then it tastes metal.

Also, these days many IPAs and pale ales are being canned more than bottled [for many good technical reasons], so avoiding cans will reduce your options significantly.

The 32-oz growler is becoming more and more common at breweries, so that might be another option between the 20-40oz range. You'll pay a premium price for growler fills at the brewery, but it's guaranteed fresh beer, and you'll probably pay a premium for a 22oz bottles of beer anyway.

24. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,412) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

The answer is to figure out how much alcohol gets you to that point of "perfect drunkenness". That way you can use math and the ABV listed on package to calculate the size container(s) to buy of a specific beer to provide the perfect buzz, with no left overs.

25. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Aspirant (203) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

For awhile Lagunitas and Sierra were doing Quarts. Not sure if that format still exists.
    [​IMG]

TealTokterFest, Lahey and Squire like this.
  26. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,835) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

For me a 40 ouncer says guzzling rather than drinking but I see the OP's point about having a limited amount on hand. Fortunately we have a local store that sells most everything by singles so I could buy three 12 oz beers which would give me variety as well as a measurable ABV amount.

cavedave likes this.
  27. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Ya I'd say if lagunitas is still doing sucks in a quart format that might be just your cup of tea. Otherwise, if you want to avoid cans, you are going to have to do quart growlers because most 22s these days are big stouts, some bigger IPAs but more and more I see just about only big dark beers in 22s.

28. ilikebeer03

Sucks is 8% ish right? A quart of that'll sit you down. haha.

Lahey likes this.
  29. honkey

honkey Disciple (300) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona

It sounds like this is a mental block that you need to get through. Set up a blind tasting and try to determine which one is a can. It’s a near guarantee you won’t be able to tell. Then you can enjoy 2x 16 oz cans when you’re passed your current bias. Cheers!

cavedave and Mothergoose03 like this.
  30. bbtkd

Premium Member

Sorry on the she thing, many/most that don't put gender in their profile are women not wanting to be hit on, not realizing people will assume anyway.

Regarding cans, they've been lined forever and don't give off any metallic taste that I've heard of or experienced. Might be your mind playing a trick on you. There is a craft industry trend towards cans, so you may need to get used to them. There are some great beers that are only available in cans. They're safer, lighter to ship, don't break as easily, stack better, etc.

Bombers are 22oz or 25.4oz (750ml). Problem is that they are usually 1.5 to 3 times the cost per ounce as compared to 12oz format - but most beers that are in bombers aren't available in 12oz.

One solution is to buy singles - I do that a lot to try new beers. I won't usually commit to a four or six pack until I try it on tap or as a single.

#30 bbtkd, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:58 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 11:08 PM
    ilikebeer03, Mothergoose03 and Lahey like this.
  31. TealTokterFest

Yeah bombers seem to be the way o go for me

cavedave likes this.
  32. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (189) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Those XL formats are great for just sticking in the snow and having a fire. No more warm beer! Let nature take the wheel.