So I Bought The WRONG Beer!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crispysdad, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,027) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Funniest reviews thread. Cried I laughed so hard.

rgordon likes this.
  2. KegKicker

KegKicker Initiate (27) Aug 11, 2008 New York

Don't worry -- it is easy pick up the wrong beer.

We were at a local bar (OK, dive bar) that had an excellent kielbasi & American cheese pizza. I went to the bar and bought the first round. Came back with them and everyone was ticked. See - I bought a round of Miller lite instead of Bud light (remember, dive bar). The table claimed that Bud Light was way better. I was like, really guys???.

But I got out of it by a phone call from my mom. She was working at church Bingo and came out to a flat tire. So I had to go change it.

True story....

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  3. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

Now that shit's funny

mikeinportc likes this.
  4. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

I like this one too! Scared the dog I laughed so hard

5. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Please tell me there were chilli cheese, it's the ONLY kind of Fritos...

6. Strat58cat

Strat58cat Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2015 California

Sure you did. But, it's a great excuse to go load up on SN Oktoberfest to complement the SA Octoberfest, then flip back and forth bottle-to-bottle to do a direct comparison over a full 12-pack, film it, put it up on You Tube, become bigger than Gangnam.

mikeinportc likes this.
  7. leantom

leantom Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

The only thing similar about the OP's beers is the style they fall under.

I think he was drinking when he made his purchase.

8. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 California

I recently was in a bottle shop in Cardiff by the Sea, saw Coronado Anniversary Imperial IPA and was like, "oh, I'd love to try that!" Bought it, took it home, drank it that very night. Tasted an awful lot like a barleywine. Very carmel-y and sweet. I was like, "Hmm, this doesn't quite match up to what I had anticipated." I looked more closely at the label. 17th Anniversary. "Oh..." Coronado just released their 19th Anniversary. This bottle had been hanging out for over 2 years, slowly aging into a delicious and satisfying beer, just not what I had intended to buy. Now I'm going to be a whole lot more careful when I purchase anniversary beers.

mikeinportc likes this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

This is a thread about making a mistake. Since obviously you are someone who doesn't make mistakes (unless you consider awful spelling and grammar to be mistakes haha) I wonder why you opened this thread? And if I misinterpreted your post, and it was sarcasm (done poorly if it was), my apologies.

The last mistake I made was a bit different. After checking the bottling dates on a bunch of Two Hearted six packs on shelf I accidentally grabbed the oldest one, six months old in fact, instead of the three week old one I thought I had pulled aside.

Lucular likes this.
  10. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,302) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Can't say I've ever done this. However, as others have mentioned, you could have done much worse on the accidental pull. Just enjoy the ride.

VABA likes this.
  11. whiskey

whiskey Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012 California

I would have thought that way a couple years ago, but with how strict the rules are about subject matter, I can't imagine a beer related anything that isn't threadworthy.

12. PatrickBeebe

PatrickBeebe Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Florida

That Lagunitas IPA and SN Hop Hunter. Every time. Packaging and logos are the exact same thing.

*sarcasm*

Lucular, surfcaster, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  13. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

My wife sent me to the store for milk and I came home with a 12 pack of Fat Tire…Forgot the milk! DOH

14. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

I also went out to buy a Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas one day, but accidentally came home with a green bottle Heinecken...Badum tss

upsbeernut likes this.
  15. Joshjv

Joshjv Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Michigan

If you're looking for SN, it won't be found in a longneck bottle....

16. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Something similar happened to me in a brothel a number of years ago!

17. youcantmakeme

youcantmakeme Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2015 California

I feel like huge ding dong, went to the store yesterday afternoon to pick up some beer and didn't bother to red the lable. Got home opened it and it's an amber color looked at the table and it says calm before the storm, shit! I need a victory at sea. Oh well turns out that it's a light version of v@s, probably not as good though. Moral of the story READ the LABEL!

18. SamN

SamN Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2009 Colorado

I bought what I thought was a great beer...turns out, it was just an above-average beer!

R3ason likes this.
  19. tillmac62

tillmac62 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina

Drink it and look more closely next time.

20. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

With that grocery list, the beer is the least of your worries

mikeinportc and craft_is_king like this.
  21. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

I went to the beer store today psyched to grab a 4 pack pf Ninja v. Unicorn. I Got home and realized I grabbed a four pack of a PW stout...Anyone else as blind as me?

TongoRad, utopiajane, EMH73 and 2 others like this.
  22. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (532) Aug 17, 2008 New York

Did you get the Captain's Daughter?

VABA likes this.
  23. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

Yes and the other DIPA Pipeworks but I really wanted the NvU. I usually F up after too many beer....

24. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (429) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I once picked up Bell's Jupiter, not once, but TWICE in the same store visit, thinking it was Saturn.

funhog, BartS, twizzard and 1 other person like this.
  25. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (532) Aug 17, 2008 New York

That's OK got to go back tomorrow for Nugget Nectar. The guy at Olivers's
    was great, recognized me from Friday when I got my Hop Ranch and handed
    me Captain's and NvU. Pays to where a tie sometimes.

VABA, upsbeernut and EMH73 like this.
  26. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,315) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Absolutely, just this last weekend I wore my glasses to buy beer for the first time. Picked up the wrong four or six pack on more than one occasion. I will not make that mistake again.

VABA and tolar111 like this.
  27. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

About 60 days ago I accidentally bought 2 six packs of Founders Angry Bastard instead of Backwoods Bastard. That's what happens when BWI . What a great mistake. I loved it. Just drank the last one.:grinning:

DSWeller and EMH73 like this.
  28. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,103) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I can see mixing up Pipeworks stuff easily even when sober. Cool labels, but very busy.

Jugs_McGhee and twizzard like this.
  29. smbslt

smbslt Savant (905) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

A friend brought over Cynicale the other day when he thought he had bought Abrasive. Good for me - had not had the Cynicale and really enjoyed it.

30. tripledbrew

tripledbrew Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2011 Kentucky

I've never heard of "Angry Bastard" by Founders. What style is this?

mwa423 and mctizzz like this.
  31. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (334) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

I have and made it all the way into the glass before I realized it. It was a Ballast Point. Was after Calm Before the Storm (cream ale with coffee and vanilla) but grabbed Victory at Sea (imperial porter with coffe and vanilla). Talk about a vast difference from what should have been an easy drink. I still have a couple of the VaS left and this was months and months ago. I also wore 2 different colored shoes on a business trip. That was the last time I was courteous and got ready without turning on the light.

#111 DougC123, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    mikeinportc likes this.
  32. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Dirty Bastard would be by guess

33. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,573) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

The other day I thought I was grabbing Pineapple Sculpin and instead grabbed Habanero Sculpin. Now I'm stuck with a six pack of that nonsense....I guess that's what neighbors are for.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

34. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,956) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Not even going to give it a try?

You might like it.

Raime likes this.
  35. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

I accidentally buy 3 times the amount I meant to one time. Wait that's every time

As for buying the wrong beer, I'm pretty obsessive over hunting down what I've been looking for.

mikeinportc and jhavs like this.
  36. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Yes. Once I was grabbing a victory 4 pack in the local grocery and I meant to get blackout stout but came home with dirtwolf instead.

37. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,983) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

None so far, but I can't count the times I don't check dates when I am in a hurry.

38. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,778) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

Several times. Most recently, I thought I was buying Rodenbach Caractère Rouge, but accidentally bought a fancy-wooden-box-packaged 750 of Grand Cru. Overpaid, didn't get the beer I wanted, and already had 5 bottles of the Grand Cru in the cellar.

cavedave likes this.
  39. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I had a brain fart once and grabbed a sixer of Westbrook White Thai instead of One Claw. Their cans have a similar design except for the color, so without even reading the text I got the yellow one and blue one mixed up in my head. No biggie, I suppose, but I did feel kind foolish when I opened that first one.

jhavs and cavedave like this.
  40. mrsadd

mrsadd Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2008 Pennsylvania

always. i look, i look away, i reach back... beers, citrus, other fruits, boxed/canned goods, ... anything. i read, then i look away, get distracted, then I look back... and I grab what i think is right.

there is so much in the world. a little serendipity (And terrible errors) make life more interesting yet more disappointing yet even better yet...

i meant to buy a bagful of blood oranges the other day. i was pleased with the price and the specific type. I bagged about 20 of them. I bought them, as well as some mushrooms, collards, duck fat, and onions. Got home. began to peel blood orange (one of the best citrus on all the planet!) only to find that it was some freaky small grapefruit.

THERE IS LITERALLY NO FOOD I DESPISE MORE THAN GRAPEFRUIT. Ugh.
    Beers that "taste like grapefruit"? Good. Beers which actually have grapefruit? BAD.
    Grapefruit itself? What the hell are you other primates thinking??g

what a world what a world.

(worst experience with a beer this way? Stone Belgian Anise Odd Year Stout [2011? 2013?] rather than the regular Imperial Russian Stout. Didn't realize until bottle was opened. Obviously I'm an idiot. I like anise... but didn't need that batshit crazy beer. though... i still suspect that it will age interestingly.)

mikeinportc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.