So... Surly is headed to Chicago?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Is this rumor true?

Chaz likes this.
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

They've done events down there before, tap takeovers and Darkness kegs and such.

3. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,582) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

#3 Chaz, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

I've heard Chicago distro rumors!

Strange they'd expand there before servicing the rest of MN, but I guess it's a big money market!

5. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

6. blue-dream

blue-dream Crusader (775) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)
    Beer Trader

Sweet 1 more beer i wont have to trade for!!

7. doner24

doner24 Initiate (87) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Ok, how about sending a full distribution of FFF up to Minneapolis now :relaxed:

8. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,582) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

They could always dust off their 'ol contract with August Schell . . . :sunglasses:

9. Shag

Shag Initiate (197) Jun 27, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Seems like a fair trade...

doner24 likes this.
  10. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Minnesota

Gotta pay for that new brewery somehow....

11. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (474) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Didn't they use to sent draft to Chicago in the past?

edit: lol covered in that Tribune article...

12. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (185) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This makes sense considering Chicago doesn't get enough great beer already...sheesh

minnesotaryan likes this.
  13. sacrelicio

So, what was the actual, official distribution to Chicago prior to 2010? I am of the impression it was just special events, and only draft.

14. psychotia

psychotia Disciple (317) Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

Everyone in Madison be sure to wave as the surly delivery trucks roll by!

15. BrettHead

Definitely only draft; never heard that it was just special events

16. pepsican

pepsican Aspirant (257) Nov 5, 2007 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I purchased kegs years ago in Chicago for a home fridge. They used to be around at the major bars in draft before pulling out of the state. One would assume with the JBros investment that Surly will be regional soon.

BrettHead likes this.
  17. BrettHead

I was happy when they went with JBros as they have statewide distro in both NE and IA (as you know). I think it is a matter of time. IA would occur before NE ever would obviously.

18. Sinatra716

Sinatra716 Aspirant (206) May 27, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Is there any chance of FFF ever coming to MN? I would think with the number of times Surly and 3 Floyds have collaborated that some distribution could make its way here. Readily available Zombie Dust would be amazing.

19. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

More like lie in wait; jack those trucks Breaking Bad train robbery style. Vanish in a cloud of money.

20. copslovebeer

copslovebeer Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Damn shame that FFF isn't in Chicago. Or Illinois, for that matter. I'd rather have pipe works or Half acre any day

shawnp likes this.
  21. blue-dream

Beer Trader

Doubt it, sometimes hard to find here unless u know where to look, and even that is a fail sometimes. Best bet is to stand in line at the brewery, and make sure you check their take-out page before you go or you might be SOL.

22. blue-dream

Beer Trader

Yea but FFF wouldnt be as hyped up as it is without being 30 mins away from chicago,IMO chicago made them what they are, And i agree Pipe works and half acre are awesome, ill also throw in revolution.

copslovebeer likes this.
  23. JediMatt

JediMatt Initiate (80) Jun 18, 2010 Iowa

Nice. Hope they come to Iowa next!

BrettHead likes this.
  24. wuuin

wuuin Initiate (147) May 16, 2007 Minnesota

Their deal with Johnson Bros. is taking care of that.

25. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Minnesota

Pretty sure my darkness addiction helps as well.

26. BuckettOfBeer

BuckettOfBeer Initiate (115) Mar 19, 2010 Minnesota

Ah I just posted a new thread about this in the Beer News forum. I would think Wisconsin would be the next state they would distribute to. Just because of the proximity and market size I guess.

27. BrettHead

I'd bet Iowa first.

Stone and others have pulled out of WI due to not selling enough product.

28. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (222) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Why is it strange? TG has been doing the exact same thing. All about the Benjamins.

29. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

TG distributes to 2 states: Iowa and Wisconsin. Wisconsin is like 20 miles from the brewery. Surly is a few hundred miles from Chicago. Your comparison is flawed. I get that you feel the need to shit on TG any time you get though, so carry on.

30. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (222) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

No way dude. Got nothing but respect for TG. My only comparison is them not fulfilling Iowa and Surly not fulfilling Minnesota. I realize that the distances are completely different, but I bet a lot of Minnesotans are pretty chapped right now that they cant get Surly but Chicago can. Similar to say how the Quad Cities or Council Bluffs don't get TG. I've got absolutely nothing against TG. They're killing it right now and I would kill to have them on shelves regularly. Beer is business though and you'll go where the $ is.

31. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Devotee (415) Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

Minnesota, Iowa too, is a large spread out, population wise, area. There's no reason to send their limited product up into the hinterlands, where three people may appreciate it. Shelf turd city, dude.

32. jplopez21

jplopez21 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There's nothing for us to do in Illinois so us FIB's gots to get our (craft beer) drink on.

blue-dream likes this.
  33. sacrelicio

You can get Surly in plenty of places in MN. Chicago sales will finance more.

34. evilgenius1917

evilgenius1917 Initiate (158) Feb 16, 2009 Minnesota

My understanding of the situation is that people looking for a logical, linear Surly distribution model are going to be sorely disappointed.

35. BrettHead

Going BACK to chitown isn't logical?

36. StarRanger

StarRanger Initiate (151) Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

Surly has been expanding in the West Central part of MN but I am not sure about the rest of the outstate areas. In the last few weeks they became available at another liquor store or two and another bar in Moorhead. We kept minimal access to Surly up here during the pull back as one early adopting bar/liquor store drove down to get the beer every couple weeks but it is defiantly easier to find it now.

37. sacrelicio

Yeah, as long as they hit the major population centers outside of the TC, they're doing pretty good at covering Minnesota.

38. evilgenius1917

evilgenius1917 Initiate (158) Feb 16, 2009 Minnesota

It is, it's also a thing that has happened.

BrettHead likes this.
  39. zeledonia

zeledonia Meyvn (1,352) Nov 23, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Why should the state that a brewery is in matter all that much? As has been said before, Three Floyds is in Indiana, but much of their product goes to Chicago, because that's the closet big metro area. Why should they care that they're across the state boundary in Indiana? Similarly, why should TG have any particular loyalty to Iowa when there are bigger, closer markets in neighboring states? If you have some compelling reason, I'd like to know what it is.

And I will definitely agree, that I would love to have their beer on shelves regularly. I feel very lucky just to have one store half an hour away where I can consistently get growler fills.

s_wit and blue-dream like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.