So what happened to Sucks?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by surfcaster, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Remember that Christmas surprise with the cartoon Santa on the label that just showed up on shelves in 2011--the Brown Shugga Substitute? WOW--most folks could not get enough and a Sucks thread for the next return was as inherent on these forums as an anti-InBev thread is today.

Flash forward almost 5 years. Sits on shelves. Rarely fresh and when it is (in my area), not even close to bursting with that bright bite of old (to me, anyway).

Is it different?
    Is it just too "ordinary" i.e. available and no longer "special?"
    Another "good old days" or "better last year" thread?

I for one think it is not close to the Sucks of old. Maybe that first release magic was one and done but wishing for a return and perhaps a seasonal release.

#1 surfcaster, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

I love Sucks. LOVE it, I had it earlier this year FRESH in like a 32oz bottle if I remember correctly. It was great. I won't buy the year old 6ers sitting there forever and a day though. Keep looking for those 32ozers. Can't find em

Badfish, Marklaker, Caveworm and 2 others like this.
  3. scxcrunner

scxcrunner Zealot (569) Aug 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Great price point too! With craft beer exploding i find there are too many awesome fresh local options to buy vs something i suspect has been sitting on the shelf for months and shipped across the country.

VABA likes this.
  4. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

It's fine, just have to go to a store that doesn't sit on old beer or wait for them to get new sucks in. Just about the same with any widely distributed beer.

Crawfish61 and creepinjeeper like this.
  5. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

If I remember correctly, back when people were really wanting it and liking it, it was a winter seasonal. Most had it within 6 weeks of bottling.

32 ounce format change soured most people's spirits when it came back out more permanently.

I've had it within 15 days of bottling recently. Nice citrus burst. But one that seems to be in a lot of ipas now. Ive had it really really old, somewhat old, old, and fresh. I give this beer about a 4-5 week window before that citrus clean flavor is muddled by malts.

Latest I've seen. 68 2016 and 89 2016. I stopped buying the 89s two weeks back. I saw it starting to turn.

Amazing price point. Easily on a better value front than literally every beer I have found. Bud light winos should be drinking this stuff as far as abv/value.

Gemini6, jrnyc, westlaunboy and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,868) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Sucks is a good beer, but there are always new breweries popping up and new hop varietals people like. The constant change in the top beers is what makes me respect the beers that stay among the top for so long.

jrnyc and gshak like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,826) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That sounds about right.

Cheers!

jrnyc likes this.
  8. drocpsu

drocpsu Initiate (197) Dec 25, 2006 New Hampshire

That first batch was probably THE beer that got me into IPAs. I've had it a few times more recently and thought it was decent, but didn't blow me away like it did early on. I wondered what had happened too. Wonder if I got old batches.

9. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,045) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

i LOVE Sucks but i almost never see it in a bomber format anymore. my local store used to get bombers and 6packs of it, now it's just the 6packs.

it's hit or miss, sometimes my store has cases of it and other times they don't have any. currently i saw a dozen 6packs but they're old(ish). i think my local store just buys too much of certain beers and not enough of others.

VABA likes this.
  10. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,858) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I really like Sucks but it's hard to find it fresh in my area. And I agree with @Scott17taylor that it's hard to justify spending good money on unfresh Sucks (or other unfresh but well-known IPA's) when so many good ones are being brewed locally that you can get fresh.

jrnyc and VABA like this.
  11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,868) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I'd buy it if I could find it fresh...can't remember the last time that happened.

12. scottsoileau

scottsoileau Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2014 Louisiana

Fresh Sucks is awesome! Old Sucks......well it sucks

13. SaltofOH

SaltofOH Savant (931) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

I tried Sucks for the first time in the spring of 2015, and fell in love instantly. I bought two November-dated singles in January; drank one in January and one in March. Was pleasantly surprised at how well they held up, and still liked them better than the fresher local IPAs I happened to have in my fridge. So my guess is it is the proliferation of other excellent IPAs and fact that it is no longer a whale. Still, it has a unique profile that is hard to beat.

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

To me it's not the same beer. It was a huge cat piss pine bomb the first two year it was made . The ABV is now different and even a few weeks fresh it's a syrupy sweet mess. Nothing like it was when introduced. Last time i had it I bought 2 sixers that were less than two weeks old , drank two and gave them away. Pass them by every time now. Price is great, beer follows it's name now.

Don't care what anyone says it's different now.

Enjoy

surfcaster likes this.
  15. hillind

hillind Aspirant (289) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Haven't seen it fresh in forever, I'd rather just grab some Dirtwolf when looking for a well priced DIPA

16. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (368) Sep 19, 2013 New York

on the two occasions that I had it it was very forgettable. too sweet and was stale. no bottling dates either. pass.

17. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

My guess is that it's because it's available everywhere. I personally have never thought it was that great. I do like it, though. I personally prefer 'A Little Sumpin Sumpin.

hoptheology likes this.
  18. hillind

hillind Aspirant (289) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

The dates are on there, but they're a nightmare to see IMO. Wish more breweries would take a cue from Stone with the visibility of their bottle dating.

jrnyc and babaracas like this.
  19. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

I live less than an hour from Petaluma. I still pick up fresh Sucks from time to time. Sprouts was having a $7.99 sixer for most FW, Stone, and Lagunitas. They didn't have any sucks in stock.

Almost dropped the hammer on Stone IPA, but decided to go with 6'ers of Maximus & Lucky 13 instead.

20. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (305) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Still love it. I've noticed no difference when it is relatively fresh.

Hayden34 and SomethingClever like this.
  21. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I have not seen fresh Sucks since last Fall. Even then it was just bready/ crackery and disappointing.

I had fresh on tap at the brewery last summer and thought the same thing.

When it was a winter seasonal... my goodness was it good.

I do believe, if my memory serves me correct, that Lagunitas stated they could not make that exact recipe year round because of hop availability. So it likely is a different beer.

22. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Where is the date on the packs? I remember where it was on the 32-ounces, and it was hard to see on some bottles...is it in the same place?

23. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (407) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Got a case of Sucks from the distributor here in KY about a week ago and it was bottled in December :astonished:

24. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (178) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Used to be right up there with my favorite beers. The first time I popped one back in 2013 it smelled and tasted like a Mango Melon tropical Starburst. I was transported. It was totally a defining moment in my personal IPA voyage. Now: malt bomb. No way it's the same beer.

25. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,359) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Probably the last time I had Sucks was December 2014 when a friend brought me two 32 oz. bottles as a gift. It wasn't old but it was getting close. It does drop off fairly quickly and after 5 weeks it's just about lost all that citrusy hop bite.
    Like everyone else seems to be saying: There's just too many other new breweries to try and some are doing fabulous IPA's, to got and buy some Sucks that's been on the shelves for 3 months or more!

26. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (449) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

It sucks now

hoppytobehere likes this.
  27. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (349) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Sucks is great. There's too much beer to drink so people are moving to the next beer.

28. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

I love Sucks, but I'm, well... a serial ticker (for the most part). I rarely revisit any beer.

malfunxion and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  29. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (99) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

This is an interesting discussion because I typically attribute a change in attitude towards a beer I love to my evolving/ changing palette.

But in this case, I think it's the beer. I remember buying both Hopslam and Sucks (back when it was released once a year) and admiring how good it was - bright, juicy and citrusy and incredibly easy to drink for an IIPA. But now, it seems to be so much maltier than I recall, without that same hop character.

Still a good beer, but not the same beer.

ElijahSF and surfcaster like this.
  30. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,497) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Interesting to read the descriptions of old Sucks. I've only had Sucks once and it was an old 12 oz bottle (roughly 6 months old, mostly kept at room temperature) that I wasn't expecting much from but there was a HUGE pineapple aroma and flavor. Sweeter than most IPA's - due to the age most likely - but I haven't had any other beer with that much pineapple going on. I'm sure that what I drank wasn't anything like fresh Sucks but I was pleasantly surprised. Anyone else have this impression of old Sucks?

31. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Agreed. In most cases I think people just have fond memories and the beer is the same as before. In this case, I think they changed the recipe in order to make it year round. Then they launched it in those absurd 32oz bottles, and essentially killed it. It's not even on my list anymore. It certainly is still a good beer, but there is a lot of good beer out there.

jrnyc likes this.
  32. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

for a serial ticker you should have way more ticks than you do...

33. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Considering I'm in my early 20s, in college, and have a tendency to buy the more expensive options, I'd say I'm doing reasonably well.

KSOZE, jamvt, TrojanRB and 3 others like this.
  34. olekern

olekern Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 California

The stopped making it in 32oz around the beginning of the year, but 6pks have been in regular production for just over a year now. Down Low is intended to take the 32oz distribution (yes, it's a completely different beer).

35. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,567) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I just learned how to read the Julian dates on the neck so I'll once again check for freshness and try again.

Sucks was my favorite when it was seasonal only release. Once it went year-round, I stopped buying altogether because I didn't know how to check for freshness. Let me see if I can find a fresh one to sample and report back.

PS: Year-round distro is the kiss of death for many of the top IPAs. Just too hard for distributors/shop owners to figure out the inventory properly to maintain fresh stock (most don't even care/don't put out the effort though).

Beersnob724 likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,826) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My last 6-pack of Sucks was about one year ago. I knew the beer was fresh because I removed that beer from a case (and the production date was easy to read on the case box). That beer was fresh (less than a month old) but it tasted noticeably different from prior drinking experiences; I was not a fan of this batch of Sucks. That was my last purchase of Sucks and given the amount of other good hoppy beers on the market likely to be my last purchase of Sucks.

Cheers!

37. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Give that man a cigar.

38. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (166) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

As others have stated it is sometimes hard to find fresh. Although it is nice to have the availability any time of year, I like the concept of a once or twice a year release so you know when it is fresh. There are so many options out there now that if a bunch of breweries did this with their IPAs there would always be something good to buy at any given time. Only problem would be convincing them not to slap a "Limited Release" label on it and jack the price...

bubseymour likes this.
  39. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (789) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

It really is a shame this beer has fallen from grace. Every time I see it, I check the date and see that is is at least 3 months old and I move on. One day I hope to find one less than 2 months out and relive the glory years, but I believe it is wishful thinking at this point.

40. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Just wait. Soon they will be sending it out in green bottles.
    Gotta love your Heineken

otispdriftwood and BBThunderbolt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.