So where do you stand with your ratings?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by johnInLA, Dec 7, 2019.

1. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,002) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

My ratings would seem to indicate I've become 'harsher' with time / experience. For example, looking at previous ratings, for example Rogue Chocolate Stout is probably not really a 5. But was evidently a 5 to my palate which was previously accustom to bud, miller, etc. In reality, I've experience more beers and have a better sense of good/bad, off flavors, etc.

That said, Founders Breakfast Stout, and BA Ten Fidy are also noted as 5s. I stand by that. Excellent beers.

2. paulish

paulish Poo-Bah (1,906) Feb 2, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

4.50-4.75 - Outstanding and don't care about the price
    4.25-4.75 - Great beer and not so expensive
    3.75-4.00 - The beer on a each day
    5.00 - Great/Outstanding beer (when somebody was sharing with you for free) :slight_smile:

3. bret27

bret27 Zealot (515) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Roguer,
    I have to give you credit on your one all-5 rating.
    Fresh Pliny is perfection.

Junior, Roguer and FBarber like this.
  4. maddogruss

maddogruss Meyvn (1,082) Nov 4, 2006 New Jersey

I find that I am more critical now than I was when I first joined. I seem to be more under average than over average, but I think, given the fact that there are those that are more likely more "positive" than I am, i think the average ratings on BA are reasonable.

I generally go into each beer treating as a 3 and add or lower points based on my experience. I think the 5 pronged based on Aroma, Smell, taste, feel, and overall is reasonable, with the 5 point system with 0.25 point breakdowns. i reserve that 5 for very outstanding "I can't believe baby Jesus granted me the chance to taste such greatness" as that's what i associate World Class level beers. I think by going in assuming each beer will be average (as compared to the style) and adjust for uniqueness and how it balances out with the style helps me prevent those premeditated biases from creeping in and altering my review experience in either direction.

5. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,592) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

At the precipice of 2000 ratings (with practically every one a review), here's where I stand.

My median rating is 3.84.
    My median rDev is -0.8%

I guess that makes me slightly tougher than average.

For me, this is roughly how the numbers shake out:

3.75-4.00 = respectable and worth trying again if this beer is in a style where I do not have many 4+ beers

4.00-4.25 = solid and certainly worth trying again unless the beer is cost prohibitive

4.25-4.5 = excellent, worthy of repeated purchases

4.5-4.99 = rarefied air - the best of the best

5 = no such thing exists; yep I am one of THOSE guys who has no perfect scores.
    My highest score is Avery Tweak at 4.9

I consider style as a component of my rating but I do not subscribe to the idea that the "perfect" beer of each style should earn a 5. Styles that I enjoy more generally enjoy a higher range of ratings. For example, a 4.0 impy stout or DIPA would hardly be worth looking at again. But, a 4.0 pils or Kolsch would be my personal favorite in that style.

I tend to look at the classic or standard-bearer of a given style to be around a 4. For example, I have both Anchor Steam and SNPA at 4. To me, they are clearly the standard for their style. All others of that style are compared to these beers.

Roguer, bluejacket74 and WeissDavis like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,984) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

If one gives a beer or more than one beer a perfect 5....it's not the end of the world, as we know it. :wink:

7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Never understood the qualms about having multiple perfect 5 scores (I say after only ever having given out one perfect score). At the very least you could have one for every style, right? And even within styles, I think there can be more than one that hypothetically could be "perfect".

8. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (4,960) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I'd say in general that I rate brews higher than most. But then I've never given a perfect 5 rating on here, and the beers in the past that I've given ratings pretty close to that I probably wouldn't rate them quite as highly now. I probably need to re-review some brews when I get a chance!

Brutaltruth and seakayak like this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,984) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I'll have to check and see how many I gave but I would not doubt anyone giving a 5 if it gave them the pleasure that a 5 can give. If that makes any sense.

Peach63 and FBarber like this.
  10. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,470) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I love beer too, but that’s something I expect from any BA hence I may be biased but NOT lenient. As an example, mediocre (to me anyway) AAL or Euro Lager (and there are a few) will get trashed by my ratings.

I’m a bit biased regarding styles too, but again that’s just my palate and I love almost everything beside those BarleyWines boozy mess (sorry aficionados). Imperial Stouts are among my best rated here, along with Belgian Triple (Westmalle, Karmeliet, Gouden Carolus) and Strong Pale ale Classics (Duvel, Chouffe...). Add to the mix the marvelous Dubbel and Quads, German Doppelbocks, English Ales and so forth.

Anyway.

5 is the absolute « perfect beer » that literally blew me away if not almost made me fall out of my chair. Founders’ CBS deserved it IMO.

Some were very close behind like BCBS ‘17 and FBS along with KBS.

3 to 4 is a very good beer.

2 to 3 is merely average, has qualities but not mind blowing and more (usually) a cheap daily drinker.

1 to 2, forget it. Drain pour in rare case (I’m greedy) or I finish it to rinse my palate with tons of water afterwards.

Blueribbon666 and tobelerone like this.
  11. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Defender (620) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I don't use a standardized rating system for all the beers I consume. I tend to rate based on style and how said beers I have previously had in the same style measure up. For instance I just rated pFriem pilsner a 4/5 but there's no way I would put that 4 up against a 3.75 imperial stout, the stout easily wins out. My ratings are also slightly affected by the season, I might not be feeling a weizenbock on a 90 degree day.

PapaGoose03 and johnInLA like this.
  12. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Crusader (777) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Fun game: 1,771 beers rated - 756 rated higher than average, 39 rated exactly average, 1,076 rated lower than average.

Thing is, craft beer is SO much better than the macro stuff that I rarely give anything below a 3 in any category. If it doesn't look like Coors Light, the appearance is at least a 3. If it smells better than water, the nose is at least a 3. If it tastes better than water, the flavor is at least a 3.

Like to me, Miami Madness looked like actual orange juice and not beer, so I scored it a 2. Trillium DDH Congress Street looked like a chai latte, very milky.

13. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (513) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I have stopped rating & reviewing here for the most part since I got with the Untappd app.
    That being said BA as a whole is a better gauge as far as reviews go than Untappd which I feel the overall ratings are skewed higher than those posted on BA. Untappd app was just a way easier means of journaling & cataloging on the go over all when not strapped to a laptop or home tower.
    I prefer a scale to 5 when it comes to rating, any other form leaves too much room for interpretation.
    Rating for style;
    5; IMO is a beer that needs no improvement within style.
    4; IMO is a beer I would seek out & recommend.
    3; IMO is a beer that's good to average that I wouldn't necessarily seek out but wouldn't turn down if offered or was an option.
    2;IMO is below average & would not recommend nor accept if offered.
    1; IMO is poor do to any number of reasons & would avoid.

I understand that there are some who prefer to not rate, I find this on Untappd & frankly of little use to anyone including the drinker, how do you measure whether you enjoyed or not especially w/o a review.
    Also there are those who believe that a 5 or a perfect rating is unattainable no matter what, in style or otherwise which is hard for me to swallow though every one has an opinion.

Shanex likes this.
  14. LifesAnesthesia

LifesAnesthesia Savant (909) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I tend to rate things higher than the average rating - not on purpose, but I more go by a grading system for each category. 5 = A, 4 = B, 3 = C and so forth. Like some prior people have said, I tend to only buy beer that I know is going to be quality, so I don't have too many subpar reviews of really shitty beers, but overall I find a lot of beer out there that I tend to try is pretty good - if it's not exceptional, then it's at least good.

15. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,231) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Beers Reviewed: 2,964
    My rDev: -6.3%
    Above Average: 818
    Below Average: 2,126
    Perfect 5 Reviews: 7
    Average Review: 3.68

The scale that I've used basically forever:

A+ world class 4.51 - 5.00
    A outstanding 4.26 - 4.50
    A- excellent 4.01 - 4.25
    B+ very good 3.76 - 4.00
    B good 3.51 - 3.75
    B- worthy 3.26 - 3.50
    C+ decent 3.01 - 3.25
    C mediocre 2.76 - 3.00
    C- not worthy 2.51 - 2.75
    D+ avoid 2.26 - 2.50
    D blech 2.01 - 2.25
    D- drain won't take 1.76 - 2.00
    F sucks ass 1.75 down

I'm old & grumpy & believe that people rate beers too high around here.

On the other hand, each person owns their own review, so what do I care? After all, I own a +42.5% rDev on the infamous Weyerbacher Idiot's Drool, so who am I to judge?

16. Junior

Junior Defender (638) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I never take cost into consideration when rating, only when purchasing.

17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Excellent definitions on the scale, pretty much where I am too.

18. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,246) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Yep i think @maximum12 nailed the scale.

Bitterbill, maximum12 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,402) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

There's actually an "official" scale, you know. I've always tried to keep to that, although I probably rate a little more nuanced in the 4-5 area.

4.50 - 5.00 = World-Class
    4.00 - 4.49 = Outstanding
    3.75 - 3.99 = Very Good
    3.50 - 3.74 = Good
    3.00 - 3.49 = Okay
    2.00 - 2.99 = Poor
    1.00 - 1.99 = Awful

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-to-review-a-beer.241156/

Bitterbill, Shanex and TheDoctor like this.
  20. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,829) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I always strive to balance style with personal preferences. Having been doing this for years, like so many others, I find myself less and less spending money on random shelf beers that have terrible ratings just for the 'tick' (the only exception for me being new styles/states/countries). At this point I'm typically only buying (or trading for) beers that have ratings of 4.0+ and as such the majority of my ratings over the years have trended towards that. Of course there will be plenty of beers that go against that but it happens. Yeah...I'm definitely over dropping $50 at a liquor store to grab a bunch of sub 3.0 beers purely for the sake of doing that. My bank account is not infinite nor is my liver.

FBarber and Junior like this.