Solemn Oath and The Old Order

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ChiCubs78, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Disciple (300) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Haven't found a thread here on BA for Solemn Oath and The Old Order so I figured I'll start one. I'm really excited for the 2nd Quarter Allocation that features Barrel aged Telegraph and Heavyweight Ticklefight Champion of the World. I'm so glad they finally decided to bottle this beast.
    Saturday May 20th is the day. I'm also hoping they allow an additional purchase of these outside of the allocation as they did with the Q1 allocation.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  2. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (263) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Solemn Oath is my favorite brewery who's beer I almost never drink.

3. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Zealot (530) Oct 1, 2006 Illinois

People like Solemn Oath, who knew?

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  4. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (128) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

SOB is one of my favorites, but I know I'm in the minority.

This year's Old Order is off to a much better start. Limousine of the damned was terrific.

Last was mostly wine barrels, which my girlfriend loved, but me not so much. They were good though, just not my favorites.

ChiCubs78 and YoDudeguy like this.
  5. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (158) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Old Order this year is definitely off to a better start. Really really stoked on the telegraph and ticklefight champion. @thewimperoo - people DON'T like Solemn Oath? Who knew?

FleskBrewFan and ChiCubs78 like this.
  6. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (149) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

I don't think I've ever had a Solemn Oath beer, I'll have to get over there soon

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  7. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

This year is off to a great start. Limousine of the Damned was very good. BA Telegraph sounds awesome. Heavyweight Ticklefight Champion of the World is insane good. I'm stoked.

FleskBrewFan likes this.
  8. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

Why that be?

9. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

You know you like it :wink:

10. Jplachy

Beer Trader

I never get over there. I don't buy their cans or bombers. Its usually not on tap the places I go.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  11. the_ceeeeg

the_ceeeeg Initiate (127) May 10, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Old Order VI was great

12. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

Seems legit.
    Indeed it was.

13. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

Was that La Grippe in bourbon barrels? If so that one was great.
    I also really enjoyed 5, at least think it was 5, the oak aged Russian Imperial stout.

When I get home, I'll check the bottles and make a list of what everything was.

the_ceeeeg likes this.
  14. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

Awesome, thanks.

15. croush

croush Zealot (530) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Wait, people care about breweries that don't have NE IPA's? This seems like a trick to me.

Zoomslowik and ChiCubs78 like this.
  16. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Meyvn (1,064) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure if you don't brew a New England IPA by the end of this calendar year you will be shut down summarily.

Zoomslowik, ChiCubs78 and croush like this.
  17. Jplachy

Beer Trader

Solemn Oath has never tried to chase any trend and its probably their greatest strength.

GuyFawkes and ChiCubs78 like this.
  18. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

I agree. They do their own thing. They do have a solid following as well. Go to any of their beer releases and there's always a line. They draw a nice sized crowd at their events and releases.

19. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

The lines are especially long when they limited howlers. MIB was pretty long

[​IMG]

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  20. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

As promised earlier here are the releases (Remember they're tallies, not roman numerous):
    Q1 2016
    Old Order I: Farmhouse Ale aged in red wine barrels with apricot - 10.0% abv
    Old Order II: Farmhouse Ale aged in red wine barrels with raspberry - 10.0%
    Q2 2016
    Old Order III: Belgian-Style Brown Ale aged in red wine barrels with blackberry - 4.5%
    Old Order IIII: Belgian-Style Blended Ale aged in red wine barrels - 7.0%
    Q3 2016
    Old Order IIII: Russian Imperial Stout aged 18 months in oak barrels - 11.5%
    Q4 2016
    Old Order IIII I: Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Black Saison - 9.0%
    Old Order IIII II: Belgian Pale Ale aged in white wine barrels with cherry - 6.0%
    Night Moves: Belgian Pale Ale aged in wine barrels with passion fruit - 6.0%
    Q1 2017
    Old Order IIII III: A blend of American Barleywine, Russian Imperial Stout, and Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels - 10.5%

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  21. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (272) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My brother is a member and that 8 was fantastic!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  22. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

Thanks!

23. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (186) May 5, 2013 Illinois

2017 is MUCH better than the first year. Given the price point, I would have passed on half of the bottles in 2016 if I could (III-IIIII I thought were pretty bad..The RIS aged in Oak was an $18 version of Oak Aged Yeti). I just wish they would stop having the release party at 10AM.

I think I'm just a little sour on them recently. I bought my Oath Day ticket and I had to hold my nose doing it this year :/.I've always enjoyed going to the taproom, and love many of their beers but this years ticket price for Oath Day is pushing my limits on "quality v quanity". I'm just trying to crap on them, and I know the replies of "if you don't want it, don't buy it" are forthcoming..but am I the only one who had to convince myself to drop $45 to get 1 beer?

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  24. ChiCubs78

Beer Trader

I'm skipping Oath Day. Not enough value in it for me. And yes, drinking at those10am releases is rough lol.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  25. ChangSing

Ps-I meant I'm NOT trying to just crap on them...I think I'm offering a pretty rational opinion is all!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  26. ChangSing

Yeah I had to have a few beers to get me to spend that money. Unless something changes next year I'm done with Oath Day going forward. It just irks me seeing the ticket price stay the same but what I'm getting in return has been shrinking every year. I'd rather just drop $100 at Bavarian

GrumpyGas, WITTBEER and ChiCubs78 like this.
  27. ChangSing

On a more affirming note I heard ChocoBomb is coming back which I always liked! May you all find good beers this weekend!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  28. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

I don't disagree that Oath Day is light on value, but I still have fun with my friends. Especially when they have good one offs.

I also prefer the release format from last year where members had a window from like noon to 4 in the barrel room. We got first rights to buy more, and then the rest went to the gen pop a week later.

YoDudeguy and ChiCubs78 like this.
  29. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

Also I'll be the tall balding guy, usually wearing a solemn oath shirt at the next release

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  30. ChangSing

I have fun as well, and I have a number of friends I met there which is why I went back this year. It is fun, but it's starting to push my limits is all. Between uber, probably 3-5 more beers it's a $100. Last year all the good one-offs kicked within a half hour so I missed them. My hope is that with this increased ticket price it means more of those special one-offs.
    I'll see you at the next release! I wont get there until 1130 probably so as to not blow my entire day. I haven't deciced on what I'm wearing but i'm sure it will be slutty.

31. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (113) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

It's a VERY rational opinion, and I agree with it. Oath Day 3 in 2015 was $40 (I think) and included 3 beers. Oath Day 4 in 2016 was $45 but only two beers included. This year $50 with only one beer.

And IMO the one-offs and special stuff was waaay better in 2015 compared to 2016. Kicking off The Old Order in 2016 may have had something to do with that though.

Don't get me wrong: I love their style and beers and artwork, and I'm going again this year. But Oath Day is getting to be a harder sell each year now.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  32. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

Last year I believe was $50 and we got one beer. The big draw was the first canning line of snaggletooth.

I went to the afternoon session and camped out at the coffee and tea booth. Coffee wreckagemaster was amazing, but yes it was gone very quickly.

So I still agree $45 this year is a little steep this year, but I will still have a good time.

For the record though, the hammer of dawn events are incredible value. My girlfriend and I went to the lazer tag one. We got 4 hours of lazer tag, plus a shit ton of pizza, and beer for $50 total. When they first ran out of beer, Alex or Erin ran back to the brewery and brought more snaggletooth to the event. Was an awesome event that I can't recommend it enough.

JoeSpartan22 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  33. ChangSing

My friend Yoshie goes to all the hammer down events and enjoys them. I'm glad they're starting to do some of the events on weekends (my work week is pretty tight).

I do hope they bring back Night Moves though! I think pound for pound, it's my new favorite SOB beer. Great fruit taste, light..and drinkable. I know it wasn't officially part of the Old Order last year, but to me it blew the 2016 Old Order bottles away. Hopefully its at Oath Day or becomes a seasonal or something.

34. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

Night Moves was an Old Order release. It was the Seven Seals replacement. That reminds me that I still have a bottle or two of Conquest...should really drink those

YoDudeguy and ChiCubs78 like this.
  35. ChangSing

Yeah I forgot it was the replacement for the collaboration.
    I still have a Conquest in my fridge as well. I had a bottle about a year after the releases and it was much better. All the cinnamon mellowed out.

36. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

Out of curiosity and I'm guessing this the wrong place for this, but I'm looking to buy or trade for some of their older growlers, specifically the orange leaf one and the slime lettering one. Would anyone be interested in selling or trading those or any of the cooler old ones?

37. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (113) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

Yeah I think you're right on the price, but probably $45 for TOO members on the presale just like this year. I specifically remember two included beers tho. Don't make me dig up evidence :grinning: .

The StB canning was a big feature. Gotta figure out something to do with the few labels I saved from that. Anybody got tips for coaster design?

38. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (158) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

We've been to every Oath Day so far but I think we're going to skip this year. Every year the price goes up and the number of beers goes down.. They don't provide THAT much in the form of entertainment. Additional beers at 5 bucks a pop... Last year they had an ok amount of specialty stuff- a lot of coffee infustions and some of the BA Old Order stuff on tap... but this year might be a no-go for the first time.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  39. ChangSing

I thought I did but no dice..I just have the cursive writing in blue and their plain logo.

40. FleskBrewFan

Beer Trader

You may be right about the two beers, I don't really remember. I paid for the Uber's, and my friends just kept giving me beer tokens

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.