Something Awesome about Yellow Rose

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by mindswoop, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Yah I had a butter bomb growler when their QC issues began when they started bottling. And yah, Diacetyl will be there at start and for IPA's surely become more buttery over time.

2. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Meyvn (1,187) Oct 7, 2009 New York

Yellow Rose was nominated in CNBC's best label artwork contest. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102509024

If you don't vote for it and don't tell all your friends and everyone you know to vote for it, guess what, I have bad news for you, are you ready, okay here it comes: I hate you.

Damn.

TxUltraRunner and tx_beer_man like this.
  3. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

done .

nathanmiller likes this.
  4. txjustin

txjustin Initiate (82) May 29, 2013 Texas

5. lunarhowl

lunarhowl Initiate (121) Dec 22, 2004 Texas

Just fyi, Lone Pint will be tapping a cask variation of Yellow Rose this Sat. at Houston Firkin Fest -- 'Yellow Rose Especial, dry hopped with El Dorado and Habaneros' -- plus Zythophile Equinox, a single hop IPA.

6. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,931) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

showed the south some love

nathanmiller likes this.
  7. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (927) May 14, 2013 Texas

8. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Devotee (470) Jul 31, 2009 Texas
    Brewery Trader

i havent bought bottled yellow rose in a while, but what the hell? is this the new normal?
    [​IMG]

9. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (194) Apr 12, 2014 Texas
    Trader

What is the silver wrap behind YR?

10. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (283) Nov 17, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Someone changed their mind as they walked by the display. Traded the shitty bottle of wine for a couple of YR bombers.

11. txjustin

The wine bottle or the price?

12. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Devotee (470) Jul 31, 2009 Texas
    Brewery Trader

the price. i had never seen it at $10 a bottle before.

13. txjustin

Ya I almost picked one up the other day, but I'm not paying $10 for a bottle of this when I can have Endeavor, or my favorite, Dankasaurus, for much less.

14. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

The price has doubled in the past 6 months. Great beer, but just not worth it at that price point.

15. Ford

Ford Champion (818) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

According to Lone Pint, Yellow Rose has cracked the Top 100 here at BA.

16. donspublic

Society Trader

Ok I have never bought a 750ml of yellow rose. I cannot justify paying that much for it when it can be found on tap everywhere in Northwest Houston. It is almost always on tap at HEB Vintage Park for growler fills and it is never more than $13. To me that is a best value (that is $13 for 64 oz, almost 3 bottles)

TTUJohn and Ford like this.
  17. Ford

Ford Champion (818) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Yes we are lucky to live in the land where it is easily accessible on draft.

18. tpgraham

tpgraham Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

I have no growler fill station near me in Spring Branch so I often have to grab a bomber when I am craving it. The price point is not the best, but the two I picked up for dinner with friends were super fresh and delicious.

I long for the day when I can pick up a 4-pack of tall boys!

19. donspublic

Society Trader

20. Matt141

Matt141 Devotee (400) Mar 2, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I don't have it near me at a bar, so I just try to get it by the 1/6th barrel whenever possible.

Ford likes this.
  21. donspublic

Society Trader

@Matt141 if you have trouble getting it, try the Whole Foods on Louetta, I know they order 1/6 kegs for people all the time

22. Matt141

Trader

I'll keep that in mind, usually get it at D&Q. He seems almost have it.

Ford and wiingman like this.
  23. tpgraham

tpgraham Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

Nope, Houston. I know about the Voss location and need to frequent it more. I also understand that the Bunker Hill HEB will be doing growler fills within a month or so.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  24. DernzBern

DernzBern Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2014 Texas

I wish Growler's Montrose price point was a bit better. They want way more than $13 for $64 oz.

25. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (469) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

How much more? YR kegs aren't cheap. Places like HEB and Whole Foods can afford ridiculously low profit margins on it because they're making their bottom line on groceries, not draft beer. If you're trying to make a decent profit from it, you'll have to charge at least $16/64oz. My bar charges $18, and I wouldn't fault someone for charging as high as $20.

champ103 and East1stgrocery like this.
  26. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (277) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Trader

How much more?

27. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (405) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I would be very interested to see what the price difference would be for LP if they had a mobile canning line that came through and canned their beers VS hand filling bottles themselves. I mean it can't be too bad and in the end is probably a saving's I'd imagine given the fact it would free them up to brew more beer or do other brewery related things.

28. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (172) Sep 21, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Yellow Rose is good and I might agree that it's the best hoppy beer produced in the state. However, it just doesn't justify its price. $10/750 is effectively a $30 six pack. For an IPA that has one hop. Even growler fills are getting ridiculous.

I have liked everything I've tried from Lone Pint but IMO the pricing is unjustifiable.

29. donspublic

Society Trader

^^^^Agreed. I have never bought a 750 because of that very reason. At half the price I would get it just for the convenience factor which would then put it in the $15 range, which while not perfect is way easier to justify

30. DernzBern

I think it's like $18

31. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (283) Nov 17, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Canned YR = BEST IDEA EVER!
    16oz. four packs please.

tx_beer_man and Avelasquez80 like this.
  32. Avelasquez80

Avelasquez80 Initiate (90) Jul 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I picked up a 750ml bottle 2 weeks ago for $7.99. Which is more than a fair price! and hell yes to canned 4 packs!

33. tatooedsn

tatooedsn Initiate (127) Jul 10, 2005 Maine

Mosaic hops is just plain tasty. I have to agree that Lone Pint does a nice job incorporating it into their beer.

34. donspublic

Society Trader

So since we have Yellow Rose lovers watching this thread, I stopped at a bar yesterday and they had (512) Smash on tap, which is a series they just started. The first hop profile is Mosaic, and it was pretty damned good. Falls between Metamodern and Yellow Rose. For the Mosaic lover you must try it.

Avelasquez80 likes this.
  35. Avelasquez80

Trader

I'll tell you another really good Mosaic IPA, its Community Mosaic! Its probably one of my favorite "refreshingly tasty" IPA's that I've had.

071184, brock125, Techichi and 2 others like this.
  36. DernzBern

I used to love Mosaic from Community, but I think it's lost something. Had it at 2 weeks old recently and it wasn't the same. Didn't have that fruity Mosaic taste it used to have.

Avelasquez80 likes this.
  37. 071184

071184 Initiate (81) Sep 10, 2013 Texas

Hey DernzBern- shoot me a PM, I'd like to get a little more info from you so we (Community) can make this right! Want to get an idea of batch # and bottled on date so we can make sure we're keeping things as high quality as possible! We haven't changed the recipe or process, so we'd like to get to the bottom of this!

tx_beer_man and Avelasquez80 like this.
  38. Avelasquez80

Trader

@071184, while you're at it, how about sending me a sixer out to San Antonio!! Miss the Dallas beer scene, its just not the same!! :slight_frown: Cheers!

39. Matt141

Trader

I really liked the Hops & Grain - A Pale Mosaic. Seemed pretty similar.

40. OliOxenFree

OliOxenFree Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2014 Texas

Has anyone else noticed a change in Yellow Rose taste? Past couple of batches have not been the norm. More so the bottles. Handful have agreed so far. Wanted to see how everyone else milage has varied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.