Sometimes you just need a break from beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crow121, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crow121

crow121 Initiate (149) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Usually have a daily beer or two. Usually IPAs with an occasional stout mixed in. Lately, I've just had no desire for a drink. Perhaps a little bit beer fatigue. Perhaps a quick little detox. But if anything, just need a break from it all. Break from the ticks. Break from the lines. Break from the mindset that an IPA is terrible after a couple weeks from caning date. Break from having so much beer in the fridge that I feel like I need to drink it all asap. No doubt we all go through it from time to time, I assume. Unless you can drink every day, 24/7/365??

VABA, Lorianneb, frozyn and 31 others like this.
  2. SoCaliC8

SoCaliC8 Disciple (367) Jan 28, 2010 Idaho

When I get back from Portland, I'm doing a lengthy detox/fast.

I feel you.

3. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Gonna do a month off after Paddy's Day weekend. Good for the liver, wallet, and waistline.

I'm with you, it's not a bad idea every now and again.

4. readyski

readyski Aspirant (253) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

And the best thing about time off beer (which is not a bad thing) is that you appreciate it more when you start up again

5. scream

scream Meyvn (1,252) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

A day off, no way ! :grinning:

sometimes just dial back a bit

TrojanRB, readyski and Troutbeerbum like this.
  6. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,253) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Trader

I didn't drink for 6 days in preparation for a physical, and lost 3 lbs.. So..

jcos, SFACRKnight, George1005 and 5 others like this.
  7. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California

Great thread and very true. It's much needed to take 3-4 weeks off here and there. At least for myself. It lets you know how much of a hold this "hobby" truly has on you....

8. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Savant (907) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

on the cusp of a new calendar month I always feel this

VABA, MFMB and Harrison8 like this.
  9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I took a break from September to this last January. Sober. 100%. No urge to drink. And now that I'm having some beers here and there I just make sure they're worth it. I don't tick every single beer ever created. I have my favorites. If beer had no alcohol I wouldn't drink it. Abv is part of the fun. Yet I don't purposefully get drunk. Kind of ironic. Or oxymoron? Idk the word. The break opens you back up and sort of resets your tastes too which is fun.

Chipotle, BWood, dcotom and 10 others like this.
  10. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (289) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I enjoy my beer but what I have done is take a break from the looking for the best and newest all of the time. I have stopped buying multiple bombers and $18.00 4 packs just becuse it is new. My shelf in the basement is almost empty now. It put it back into perspective for me. No beer frenzy. I just enjoy a couple after work. Plus it saves me a ton of time and money while I still really enjoy beer.

11. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,390) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Same page with you all. Resets the palate, tolerance and the routine - all good things that help us enjoy this "hobby" in moderation. Also, whether you call it a hobby or not, we're talking about consuming an alcoholic and often high-calorie treat the effects of which can accumulate and lead to unhealthy repercussions over time.

ljdrinksbeer and jrnyc like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,611) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Cut back last November. Cut way back last December. Stopped for the month of January. Now I am back enjoying beer, but, other than one night of excess with friends, I haven't had the urge to have more than 16 oz. a day. Best thing was having my palate re-set and the taste of beer being so much stronger and brighter.

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,210) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I typically have 1 beer a night, 3 or 4 nights a week, so haven't overloaded and needed a break. Lately I have been working on my current goal of trying all 104 styles - which has given me a break from my typical go-to stout style. I'm up to 77 styles, with 9 more in the cellar, and soon I'll be down to a handful of difficult-to-obtain beer styles. After styles, I'll move on to states.

14. fiver29

fiver29 Devotee (403) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I don't like drinking beer every day. The kind of beer we drink is too heavy for me to do that. Plus, it adds to much to the waistline.

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,834) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

A person should really take time off from everything at one point in the year except basic bodily functions, and eating and sleeping.

Every competitive team I've run for has had at least a week to a month totally off from running out of the year. It may not seem like much, but it's enough time to keep athletes from grinding themselves down to a point where they won't recover. High school athletics requires a week of no contact with the coach, at least in Missouri. Same idea. Professional athletes even take time off, with some professional marathoners, and triathletes taking up to three weeks off 3 or 4 times in the year (after a marathon or Ironman). Time off is valuable. Often times, as within anything you're training for, or working to obtain, that time off will help reset some of the negativity and "chore-like" feelings, help reduce your risk of plateauing (training hard, but not seeing improvements), and help you approach training, a stout, that next project in a slightly different, and refreshed manner. Don't miss value time off. It's one of the things I always want to lecture my athletes on, but then they'll think they can take 51 weeks off out of the year and train one week for a race.

Chipotle, frozyn, Brolo75 and 5 others like this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,018) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Of course we all hit a threshold at times. I hit them when I drink too many hoppy beers over time, I get palate fatigue. The best medicine is to prevent it in the first place, I mix in a lot more Pils and Lagers, some AALs. There was a time when drinking Sam Adams made you a radical and a beer snob, most here might not remember those days. I was quite happy drinking 16 oz Gibbons returnables for $4 a case in the mid 80s. I enjoy AALs today, I no longer feel the need to pound every IPA on the shelf. If it's a middling IPA, I just avoid it and reach for a Pils.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  17. skleice

skleice Aspirant (266) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I got into a pattern in the fall where I was drinking 3-4 beers a night....not to get a buzz on, but they were just so good. I definitely got burned out, spent too much money and gained a few pounds. Since the new year, I've cut back to ~4 beers per week. It's been a good change.

I also have stopped hunting down beers or going to TH or Trillium so much. I don't need to pick up every adjunct stout or new hyped IPA that comes out. My wallet is happy with this decision.

Brolo75, eppie82, Shanex and 4 others like this.
  18. Rammed96

Rammed96 Disciple (321) Apr 30, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Every time I feel like I need a break. Then want to clear out my fridge. I get sucked back in with a new release. Then end up with 3 more trades. Then the cycle starts all over again.

TrojanRB, eppie82, Riff and 6 others like this.
  19. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,737) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

This is what gets me. I need to reduce some stock and keep a reasonable amount of beer around. Then I need to just figure a way to drink down the cellar a little instead of adding to it.

pcshotsauce33 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  20. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,121) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

There is an endless supply of releases and new beers, great to be a craft drinker but as you say hard to break the cycle.

21. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (576) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

I pick one, usually not socially busy, month each year to go stone cold sober. I'll admit it's harder for me than it should be, but I do feel good about myself. Last year was Sobe-rurary, this year might Abstention-April, since I don't really like Spring beers anyway.

Badfish likes this.
  22. Sip404

Sip404 Initiate (84) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

I'm in agreement with everyone here. I need to dramatically reduce how much I've been drinking. 3-5 beers a night is a bad idea I've executed for the past month or so. I don't have to drink everything and I don't have to visit every brewery. It's hard but I'm starting to tap the breaks.

KBlodorn and jrnyc like this.
  23. scream

scream Meyvn (1,252) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I take a break most every day between 4:30 & 7PM-then it's whiskey & wine ! :grinning:

Chipotle, FatBoyGotSwagger and Squire like this.
  24. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (239) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I try to spend about 30 dollars every two weeks on beer, granted I always go over. I need to get that in control, but I'm a compulsive buyer and when a new release hits..I break.

Other than financially I would like to take a break for a month. Trying to decide if I do that before or after Belgium. Maybe both! :stuck_out_tongue:

25. crow121

crow121 Initiate (149) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Just gotta remember, there will always be another beer/release/line to wait in. So if you miss one, life will go on. Who am I kidding, I need to find a line to stand in now!

26. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,127) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Paused the month of January and it reset everything: my palate, my wallet, and my waistline. Definitely worth doing.

27. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Disciple (330) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana
    Society

I've got this issue as well for a lot of the same reasons you all mentioned: trying to clear out the fridge, constantly wanting to try new releases, and beer just tastes good. Homebrewing makes it even worse, because you need to drink your old batches to justify brewing a new batch, and I love brewing new batches!

I feel good about myself if I stay alcohol free one or two days a week. Overall, I try not to get too down on myself, because I think two beers every day is less harmful than 7 per day on the weekends and none during the week. Still, I feel like I need a break sometimes. I think the key to making it easier, at least for me is to stay busy and focus on other things. I tend to drink more when I'm bored or relaxing at home (reading, watching TV) than when I'm doing things like yard work, cooking, golfing, etc.

spaceman24 likes this.
  28. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,792) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Can't tell you the last time I even went a couple of days without a beer....it's been years. I like trying new stuff, and I'm not opposed to dumping one that I don't like (doesn't happen that often). I'm usually 1/night Monday thru Thursday...more on the weekends, especially during lawn mowing, truck washing season

Troutbeerbum and scream like this.
  29. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,362) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I make it a firm rule to abstain during the hours I sleep.

Chipotle, frozyn, Brolo75 and 18 others like this.
  30. BJB13

BJB13 Zealot (588) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland
    Society

I think breaks are good. Fortunately for me I don't need to make a conscious effort. I lose the urge 2 or 3 times a year and will go anywhere from 2-6 weeks without a drinking.

Being into craft beer can definitely add pressure to the situation though, for me especially, in the fall.

Being one who likes to collect doesn't help. When I look at my inventory/ collection I am usually reminded of Hunter S. Thompson's quote from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" when he rattles off his crazy list of drugs, beer and liquor and then says...

" Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

MilkLeg likes this.
  31. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (282) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

Trying to do the no beer Monday - Thursday no drinks thing. I've done it before. It does make that beer on Friday or Saturday much better. And I tend to feel the effects more.

Badfish and montman like this.
  32. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California

Well said. After having children, my consumption has slowed drastically and I no longer have a cellar. When I have beers now, as you said, it has to be worth it. Even after 2 higher ABV beers (8%+) I'm not drunk, but tired and not as useful for the next hour or two.

TrojanRB and Urk1127 like this.
  33. montman

montman Disciple (399) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Guess I am in the minority pretty much only drinking the last 3 days of the week barring vacay, special occasion, etc. Makes it pretty easy to appreciate the weekend beers more.
    I hear you on the beers-you-need-to-drink stacking up though. Have to have friends over every now and then to make it manageable again. haha.

34. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,795) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

There have been long stretches after big trips (to GABF or to New England) where I had so much over the short period that I had to get back to equilibrium once I got home.

Been trying to ratchet down my consumption and buying as well. Part of my Resolutions for 2017, less tastings, bottles, and festivals. Doing ok so far but can do better.

35. BJB13

BJB13 Zealot (588) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland
    Society

I go plenty of weeks where I keep it to Fri.-Sun. but it isn't a rule for me. I like to have one with dinner sometimes.
    I agree that having friends over is a great management tool. I usually stock my fridge with them in mind.

36. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,429) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I am definitely in the minority in my habits. Part of the reason I have a stockpile is my consumption rate is pretty much one to three beers a week. Often the only beer I have will be for NBS. Yet there are times when I want to take a longer break even though I am a lightweight to begin with and have all these "mini-breaks" already happening.

Every once in a while I can get into having a couple or three a day - vacation, cookout. During work travel its boring hotel rooms and "can't get this at home", so maybe one a day. But it isn't very often. Knowing where I've been with the alcohol thing might be part of it - don't want to go back to the darkness and I know how easy it is to get there.

I do think about it when I look at my shelf with the backlog and growing pile of "extinct" beers - my inventory has outlasted some breweries! Why do I still buy beer when I have plenty in the house already...thankfully haven't home-brewed in a while. As much as I truly enjoy it while I'm drinking it, beer is often the last thing that comes to mind when picking a beverage, and I'm still 40-ish pounds overweight.

37. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (289) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I LOVE drinking beer every day :grinning: I pay my bills and function in society. It's all good.

38. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,086) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Sadly (?) I'm probably overdue for a break. I exercise a ton now in my 40s, but can't lose a pound. Guess it's the beer and wine. I drink most days, usually one, sometimes a couple. Probably could give the old system a break... *sigh*

39. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (434) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I'm Catholic, although not necessarily practicing my faith like I should...

However, I am using Lent as an excuse to get my health right and that involves cutting out beer among other things. So, I will be using the next 40 days to be beer-free.

See if I can do it!

40. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Break? Hmmm. Whiskey or a nice red wine.

Squire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.