Sometimes you just need a break from beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crow121, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,772) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I've only drank twice in the past two weeks since I've been moving into my new apartment. I'm sure I've done myself some good.

Shanex likes this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,362) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I do take a break to wash the glasses.

3. Spartanslam

Spartanslam Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2016 Michigan

I'm into bodybuilding as well as craft beer so it's can be a bit of a balancing act when dieting like I am now. Down to beer only once a week (Sunday) during a carb up from having zero carbs Monday-Saturday. Working like a charm. If only I could cut down on my buying habits.

4. imfatsowhat

imfatsowhat Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

My Break is from Sunday-Friday.....Saturday is the only day I drink:grinning::grinning:

Brolo75 likes this.
  5. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,865) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I abstain during lent every year, and certainly look forward to that first haul on Easter Saturday. Also, unless on vacation or "special" occasions, (I decide why it's special :rolling_eyes:) I don't drink Monday thru Wednesdays, since I work 12 hours mon-thurs. I think a break is a good thing.

6. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (88) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Trader

Perfect timing on this post. I'm looking to take a month off after my vacation in mid-March. This will be the first time going that long without a beer. Typically I drink 1 or 2 per day 5 or 6 days per week.

I'm interested to see how this affects my wallet and waistline. Cheers!

7. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (589) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Usually I drink only Thurs-Sun (exceptions being holidays or when on vacation) – 1-2 beers a day. So I average a 6-pack or less/week, ergo I've never felt any need for a break. I'd like to keep it that way.

George1005 likes this.
  8. SoCaliC8

SoCaliC8 Disciple (359) Jan 28, 2010 Idaho

I like the way you think!

9. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (187) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Daily drinker for twenty years, seventeen of them legally. I work and pay my bills, probably why I drink daily...
    I'm over the $16 four pack, and I stick with a $30/week beer budget. I do get tired of the same beer every night so I buy a few loose DIPAs and various others to mix in with my standard 12 pack of Torpedo.
    Anyway, Pilsner and lager season is coming up and there are plenty of affordable Craft options out there.

And I'd do just about anything for a 12 pack of original Michelob. Haven't seen it in years.

10. beerguy04

beerguy04 Devotee (456) Sep 20, 2004 Illinois

It's not healthy to drink all the time. Good to have days you just relax without beer.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  11. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (282) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

Some seltzer water and a little bit of grapefruit juice can be a good substitute during the week.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  12. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (797) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I only drink maybe 3 days a week and never to get drunk, rest of the days I don't touch beer. Keeps it balanced and all that. My weight has been consistent for years, so all is good I suppose. Tend to drink more lighter ABV stuff lately so that helps. Been drinking down my (little) cellar so I have less stuff on hand. I homebrew and I tend to keep most all my beers around 4-6% ABV on average.

montman and Ninjakillzu like this.
  13. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (311) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

I hear you. I'm taking the next 3 nights off as I have a beer fest on Saturday.
    I'll be geared up for that one. Plus if it becomes a routine then I don't think
    it is as enjoyable.

14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,004) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm an inveterate lover of beer, wine, and some nice whiskey. Sometimes I don't drink at all for long periods. I generally don't want to stop, but I can will my way to not drink. Many of us have certain genetic predispositions that likely "help" us want to drink. Having a couple of beers was once tougher than it is now, and it is a much better way to live!

cavedave and Squire like this.
  15. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,148) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

I'm in the process of moving, and my new home has tons more beer options for me to try, on a regular basis. Made me realize that they're not going anywhere....I don't have to tic and consume the entire State of Az in one month, or, one year, for that matter.

Shanex and jrnyc like this.
  16. crow121

crow121 Initiate (149) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

This is also another reason for taking a break. I've been working out (lifting, cardio, etc) a bunch lately, but with little results, prob due to the daily drinking. Seems like the working out just become a wash. You think if I go low carb during the week, and drink only on Saturdays, that'll make more of a difference? Sucks to have to balance the things you enjoy in life

17. Spartanslam

Spartanslam Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2016 Michigan

Daily drinking hurts, trying to lose weight or gain muscle. If you are just starting out balancing your calories/macros and life to your goals is much more important. I go extreme and have been doing this for a while. What I do has been working though if you are crazy enough to try it. This is for cutting for weight loss. I have been shedding fat like crazy. Abs are staring to pop a couple more weeks I should be at 10% bodyfat.

Calories Mon-Sat is 1800. I burn about 2,800-3000 calories a day with my current weight/activity level. Carbs are under 50 for these days to deplete my body of glycogen. Sunday in the morning I do a crazy intense 2 hour full body workout then start smashing carbs like crazy. Calories can get over 5000. The carbs go to muscle glycogen and are not stored as fat even in caloric excess. Beers a little later in the day. If fat loss starts to slow I'm adding cardio.

18. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Disciple (358) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

I basically do the same thing. Only 3 beers a week (abv ranges from 5% to 10%, usually around 6% or 7% on average) and never to get drunk. Sometimes I substitute a serving of mead in beer's place. As a result, I have never gotten burned out on beer.

19. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

I always keep a clean glass around to fill when I cleaning the dirty glasses.

NotHereForGold, Squire and scream like this.
  20. JDice20

JDice20 Aspirant (201) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

You and I must be spirit animals. My macros Re almost identical.
    I'm currently on day 30 of zero alcohol. I'll break my fast on Friday March 31

Lost 14 lbs in Feb. It's amazing how much better my workouts and digestion has been during this alcohol fast.

21. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,469) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

There are many reasons to take a break every now and then. Those reasons were aptly mentioned by other posters so my own experience...without going back to my college and early 20s years when I was getting wasted way too often.

- Being burned out, aye! I feel like downing 5-6 big Founders beers some weeks back in one setting was too much and I didn't enjoy much the last ones. I know I'm silly but it's hard to discipline yourself or cellar when you got great stuff in the fridge only feets away.

- Wallet, yes and no. Beer is still much cheaper than great wines and whiskey which I have a bit lost interest for since I became a beeradvocate. That said, the most I have spent in a month on beer was about 80€ and even that is a lot.

- Liver, and palate, it's a nice reboot, my transaminases were checked recently and I'm fine but I could feel a slight pain in the lower stomach after one big session. Nothing yet to go to the ER room but it was a bit worrying.

I feel like having a beer or two a day, preferably not big 10% more beer is best. And taking a multiple weeks break or dry spell from alcohol at all is definitely a good thing.

#61 Shanex, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Brolo75 likes this.
  22. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (239) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I have a special beer that I drink, it has no malts, no hops no yeast and no adjuncts.

23. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,290) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

same thing has hit me recently. no real urge for a beer besides out of pure routine.

i even picked up some Heineken last week because just 1 IPA was making me so tired. i used to be able to drink a few every night but now i'm 1 and Done.

since i was sick with pneumonia/bronchitis/ear infection in January i haven't had an urge to drink (even though i am). i went 20+ days with no alcohol

24. DaaaaBeers

DaaaaBeers Initiate (112) Oct 9, 2015 Massachusetts

No need to go low carb, just need to make sure you aren't going over your daily caloric intake. Cals in vs cals out is the only thing that you need to look out for. Doesn't matter what you eat, but rather the amount of calories you eat. Just need to find your maintenance, amount of calories where you won't gain or lose weight, then eat below that maintenance weight. I'd suggest cutting out 100 calories, then drop by 50 more calories every week or so. It's a process, but just dropping your calories in half isn't sustainable, eventually leading to an inevitable binge.

Anyway, I try to only drink on the weekends and limit what I do drink at that. Can definitely notice a difference taking a few days break and adding in exercise. The liver enjoys it too.

25. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Defender (673) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

I usually take a break when hungover, so I feel you OP!

26. PaulElk

PaulElk Initiate (116) Dec 30, 2016 New Jersey

I don't drink when I have the flu. Colds don't count

27. JBogan

JBogan Champion (835) Jul 15, 2007 California

IPAs. It seems that the more I drink them, the less I like them. It's at the point where earlier today I decided to purchase a 4 pack of a well regarded IPA to give it a try, maybe it will change my mind. Honestly, it was a chore to finish the first one, to the point where now I feel like swearing off beer completely for a while.

IPAs for some reason just don't get along with my metabolism, and I physically don't feel all that well after drinking one or two, while pretty much any other style won't give me any trouble at all.

So, yeah I guess after I finish or give away the other three beers I'll be swearing off IPAs at least for a while. Other beers I've been cutting back on as well, but not to the point where I've stopped completely. If I average maybe one beer per day that should be about right.

Brolo75 likes this.
  28. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,004) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'd say that knowing you (one) have to balance things is healthy in itself.

29. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,191) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I prefer to just lay off Monday Tuesday and Thursday, works for me instead of a whole month or two.but everyone has their way to do things. cheers!

30. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,555) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I drink, well frequently- I won't lie. Couple brews about every night. I exercise fanatically so I never gain weight. Been like 178 forever. However I realize this is not good for the liver. I'm 54 and not making excuses but after my younger brother died tragically a couple years ago I just decided I'm going to do the things I enjoy because you don't know when you're due. Beers one of them and I know the day is coming when I will stop. And when I do it will be cold turkey and that will be it. No beer. No More.

NotHereForGold and Brolo75 like this.
  31. not2quick

not2quick Devotee (464) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Reggie Michelob is great. I lived next to a corner bar in stl that served it on draft. Then one day went in and he said they don't make it anymore :slight_frown:

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  32. scream

scream Meyvn (1,248) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

How is the taste ?

33. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (433) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

OH, THANKS!

34. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (361) Sep 19, 2013 New York

I usually take a 7-10 day break between drink sessions with a lot of exercise and strict diet, but I tend to overdo it on that one day. usually 130 ounces or more.

35. PourMore

PourMore Initiate (91) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

If you think an IPA is terrible after a couple weeks from canning you really do need a break. You have been bamboozled. If you were to participate in a blind taste test i GUARANTEE you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 14 days and 60-75 days.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  36. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Savant (918) Aug 26, 2015 Quebec (Canada)
    Society

I think this is totally normal and something we all go through! I drank daily for the better part of 2 years, Tried lots of beers and probably hurt the pocket book more than I should have. Come last spring I took a break and eased back in to a few beers a week. I might try staying around that. I'm going to be at 3 beers tonight after my next and final one spread out over hours. I think we appreciate things more when we enjoy them in moderation.

This may be the millennial in me but the phrase I live by goes as such " You do you and if you feel your not enjoying what your doing as much, find something you do enjoy, Lifes to short to spend feeling like we weren't living it to the best or we are tired of what we are doing! Cheers bud!

37. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

It's a constant balancing act of doing the things you enjoy and things that theoretically will keep you alive to enjoy the things you actually like longer. Be active, eat some healthy meals during the week, but have a few beers, too. Long as the beers you are drinking aren't affecting your work and relationships, I don't think it's a problem. Cheers to your brother and to you. I think you've got it well figured out.

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  38. Nuts4Barrel-aged

Nuts4Barrel-aged Initiate (103) Dec 14, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

Definitely agree with taking a break from drinking and even from hunting. I have spent the better part of the winter hitting up liquor stores and looking for new goodies. Usually enjoy a couple beers a few days a week with more at gatherings with friends. I have gotten to a point where I am not having the urge to go look for beer and have a ton of beer piling up in the cellar.

39. crow121

crow121 Initiate (149) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

i'm a weak individual. ended up going to aslin on thursday to wait in line for some cans. haven't drank any of them yet. will wait for the weekend and drink a bunch. then not drink during the week again. oh well. made it 5 days.

40. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Says the guy from FL. I know I could absolutely tell the difference with a few of my local ones, not Sierra Nevada or such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.