Sorting by Top Raters isn't working

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Hayley_86, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayley_86

Hayley_86 Poo-Bah (2,282) Jan 1, 2014 Netherlands
    Trader

Hi,

It doesn't seem possible anymore to sort User Reviews & Ratings by Top Raters whilst at the same time not Hide Ratings. Untill recent this was possible. Now sorting it by Top Raters checks the mark for hiding the ratings and then unchecking that box resets the sorting back to Recent. I would appreciate it if this could be changed back.

Another option I would like instead would be to see a "ranking" of top raters and possibly seperate of top reviewers.

kemoarps, Roguer and beertunes like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,206) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

When you check "Hide Ratings" the non-reviewed ratings (those without an essay explaining a rater's reasoning) are hidden -- I have to imagine that a Top Rater is not considered a reviewer who only adds numbers. I could be off-base on that, but someone within BA would have to explain.

Hayley_86 likes this.
  3. Hayley_86

Trader

Thanks Steve,

I understand your point, but untill recently it was possible. And if (un)checking Hide Ratings is possible it makes it possible to see both the Top Raters and the Top Reviewers.

4. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,280) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Not a fan of Hide Ratings function being the default.

Also noticed that the number of ratings disappeared from under the overall rating score - that was a good feature

And the histograms are still gone - miss those

jakecattleco and FBarber like this.
  5. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,098) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I am. Ratings contribute nothing to the knowledge of that specific beer. If I wanted to see a wall of unjustified numbers I would use untappd. Even someone who's palate may be terrible offers more insight into a beer in their review than some arbitrarily clicked numbers, from a readers perspective.

6. hozersr

hozersr Meyvn (1,064) May 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

I agree, need to switch it back. There is also a problem or a glitch with the following tab. You used to be able to view your followers beer rating. To be able to check if your friends have had a particular beer is important when you have beer tasting to see if they have had that beer. Now only the people whom review it shows up. Even when I check the box to allow ratings it goes back to recent tab.

7. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,988) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I definitely understand this point of view. When its convenient and doesn't distract from enjoying the beer with company I try to provide said explanation you seek as to why I rated the beer in the manner that I chose. However, this site also serves my needs, which at times is to record a beer rating so that I know if I'm willing to buy again in the future, and then if it's convenient for me to input a full rating. Lastly, I've found folks in my region who's simple ratings I trust as to whether I'll buy a beer initially (sans reviews), as its still valuable data even if not necessarily of the ideal depth. Expecting someone to use this site solely to meet your needs seems a bit selfish. TETO

#7 jakecattleco, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    BayAreaJoe likes this.
  8. Hayley_86

Trader

Even though the discussion about full reviews vs ratings is definitely an interesting one that is not what I intended with my post.
    I personally would prefer hide ratings not being the default option, but I do not mind it really.

What I am asking for is the option to turn off the hide ratings setting when sorting the ratings by top raters. This was possible before.

9. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Champion (871) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Looks like that functionality is gone for any of the other "Sort by" options except for "Recent."

10. Todd

Todd Founder (5,569) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

An update was applied yesterday that fixed a bug when sorting by certain criteria with hide ratings enabled (default).

Hayley_86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.