Sour carboys in different room?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by IPAphilic, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPAphilic

IPAphilic Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2010 Minnesota

An employee at a big homebrew store suggested keeping sour carboys in a different room than any clean beer...

I keep my grain mill and bulk containers of grain in a storage room next to my brew room (for dust purposes). I'm starting sours that I'll age for 9-12 months. I was planning on keeping sours in the back of the grain room. This guy said the grain will get contaminated. Is this true???

I was planning on trying to isolate sour / sacc equipment (dedicated siphon, carboys, tubing, etc) but this seems extreme! The carboys have starsan airlocks and all the grain will be mashed and boiled.

2. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

No need to separate rooms... I ferment carboys of clean and sour beers inches apart... No issues.

3. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

And even if say grain were to get souring bugs on them, I really don't it would affect them in any adverse manner, you mash at temps that would kill the bugs as it is

4. IPAphilic

Thanks. That is what I assumed.

5. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

That sounds like advice one typically gets from Midwest...they have led me astray on a couple occasions.

6. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

i suggest the following:
    separate rooms;
    separate equipment;
    separate furnace system;
    change your clothes every time you enter your bug room;
    after you finish drinking a bottle of brett beer, smash that bottle in your fireplace and build a huge fire to kill all the bugs.

I promise you that if you follow these easy steps, you will likely never have an infection.
    keep in mind that i don't follow any of the above rules and, in 2 years of brewing brett and non-brett beer, i've yet to have an infection.

7. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

Everything ferments in the same room here, too. No problems that I have observed.

8. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,623) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

The grains are naturally covered in bugs and critters. You can sour a beer with grain in the fermenter. Breweries have the grain handing and milling separate to keep the contamination out of the wort/beer, as airborne dust carries the contaminants. For a carboy, no problem, as no dust coming out, and the bugs don't have legs to get around.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Pretty funny information ya got there..

10. IPAphilic

Yeah. I was looking for confirmation, but certainly appreciate the (expected) thick sarcasm.
    :-)

11. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Pooh-Bah (2,291) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Came here to say the same thing.

OP some people are mistaken or maybe intend to explain things differently than they do. Either way they'll be just fine.

12. od_sf

od_sf Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 California

Lacto: "Hey Pedio, you there?"
    Pedio: "Ya buddy, what's up?"
    Lacto: "See that carboy over there, on the other side of the room? Does it look comfy to you?"
    Pedio: "Ya man, that's a nice carboy!"
    Lacto: "Think we should make our way over there? Should we ask Brett if he want to go to?"
    Pedio: "Ya bud, I could use a change of scenery. Let's cruise over there. I'll tell Brett to meet up on the way."

13. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

Give @od_sf a job as writer for the Simpsons . . . :wink:

14. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Mine are in the same closet. I use dedicated plastics for clean & funky.

Grain is already "infected" with lactobacillus, btw.

15. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Guess how I just soured my first Berliner weisse? I threw a handful of grain into a 120F mash. The grain you buy isn't sanitized and isn't cared for. It's the heat of the mash and the boil that kills all that off and makes it a GOOD environment for yeast and only yeast. The information that you received is conservative and wouldn't hurt anything. I think that it's a little overboard.

bgjohnston and Eriktheipaman like this.
  16. atomeyes

#zombieapocalypse

17. atomeyes

*random comment about using a turkey pan for souring*

18. Paramecium

Paramecium Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2010 California

I use seperate equipment for sour beers but like others have said it doesn't need to be kept in a different room. I just mark all of my sour stuff and don't use it for regular brews. No issues.

19. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Zealot (722) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I bought a separate house for my sour beers. Can't take chances.

ericj551, jlordi12 and joshrosborne like this.
  20. Biobrewer

Biobrewer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 California

This is good stuff! In all seriousness though OP, unless you're opening up all the carboys and spraying them all over the room, you're not going to see any cross contamination. Sealed carboys will not contaminate one another. You're good!

Cheers!

Theortiz01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.