Southampton

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RandomBattle, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Initiate (136) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I know its super early for this but I was wondering if anyone whom frequents this establishment has any info.

IRS Release. Doing it this year? I think they are, just wondering if anyone heard anything. I know some people on here know Evan pretty well.

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

i have heard that they are aiming to do IRS this coming year, but nothing definite. evan doesn't seem to be into big releases for many obvious reasons and he definitely doesn't want to do a big release for only one beer. he did mention that they will be doing french xmas ale again this year in november. so there is that to look forward to...IRS used to be in january time frame so who knows what will happen between now and then.

3. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (322) Jul 24, 2010 New York
    Trader

French Country Christmas! Evan, you just made my night.

cosmicevan likes this.
  4. RandomBattle

Trader

I've never had that one yet....will need to get some this year.

5. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Meyvn (1,019) Sep 4, 2006 New York
    Trader

In house French Country>>>>Contracted French Country

6. cosmicevan

maybe we can meet there for a pint and to pick up bottles? i missed out on that one last year.

7. xenjoiii

Trader

Let's make that happen. Do you think it will be bottled and ready to go the day after thanksgiving, I could make it then.

8. cosmicevan

only time will tell. for me, best bet is to sneak away for a long lunch or "dr apt" since it is only 30-40 minutes from my office

9. gory4d

gory4d Defender (657) Apr 14, 2007 Texas

Somebody grab me a bottle of the French Country! I had that once a few years back, been after it ever since.

10. stakem

stakem Poo-Bah (5,737) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Bumping this topic. In years passed, the IRS release party had been the last weekend in January. That is less than 3 weeks away. Anyone know if this is happening? Or is it gonna be a low-key dinner release thingy thats announced last minute like last year?

@slander you know anything? Your info has always been solid in the past.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,447) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Their imperial porter is very good. Just had a couple in the last week. Pretty mellow for the cold weather.

cosmicevan likes this.
  12. RandomBattle

Trader

Happy to see this bumped. Eagerly awaiting responses...

13. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Disciple (361) Dec 31, 2012 New York
    Trader

Please let there be an epic release...

14. xenjoiii

Trader

Please let there be a low key dinner/silent release.

cosmicevan, POTABLE83 and BeerWorld like this.
  15. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Bottles were available in April last year. It doesn't go quick

16. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2010 New York

Yea, but they were also released later than usual and they seemed to have been staggered. Also, there were many reports that they weren't even bottling last year's batch so it was a nice surprise for those who stumbled upon them and/or heard about the very very silent release.

Iirc, when they announced last year that they wouldn't be doing a release party, they did say that they were planning on doing one this year. Hopefully one of you guys that lives out there in the sticks can stop by and get some questions answered.

17. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

I work out there I'll pop in and get the 411

18. cosmicevan

sh......

but seriously, as i've heard it...they won't do any big publicized release unless they are releasing more than one beer. evan isn't too into releases and especially didn't seem too into releasing just 1 beer. he seemed to have the vibe of only wanting to do a real release if the brewery had several beers to make it worthwhile for the fans.

although southampton releases have never been a sh*tshow, i still prefer these quiet put them on the shelf releases that all breweries seem to be doing lately. obviously selfish reasons there - ain't nothing like taking a long lunch, grabbing a seat at the bar, getting a good meal, drinking the brew on tap and walking out with a few bottles. ofcourse, if there is a legit release, i'll stand there with the 4 or 5 other lunatics in the wee hours and share some brews...

BeerWorld, SpeedwayJim and stakem like this.
  19. RandomBattle

Trader

According to this article, it looks like they will be doing a 2014 release with a new saison and possibly their Double Ice Bock...which would be amazing.

Only question is when...?

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  20. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,222) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

Awaiting confirmation, I will report back shortly.

Denoas, cosmicevan, gregkoko and 4 others like this.
  21. xenjoiii

Trader

The anticipation!

22. slander

Moderator Society

Southampton will be releasing the Imperial Russian Stout, Double Ice Bock, & Scotch Ale at the brewpub on Saturday, February 8th @ 11 AM.

details on quantities and the like to follow...

23. xenjoiii

Trader

Awesome. Super excited.

24. slander

Moderator Society

The this...

Southampton Publick House 2014 Release Party
    Saturday February 8th, 2013
    Doors Open at 11:00am

In an effort to not have people stand outside in the cold for hours on end, Southampton Publick House will once again hand out numbered, order sheets with our current offerings for the day. These sheets will be available at the front of the brewery at 9:00am and we ask that people pick them up as soon as they are made available. Additionally, we ask that everyone line up, in numbered order, prior to the brewery opening up at 11:00am.

SPH will do its best to gauge appropriate bottle limits; and using the popularity of this event in years past, we came up with the following limits. Please be aware, these limits are subject to change.

Beer Descriptions:

* Southampton Russian Imperial Stout 2014
    750ml - $16/bottle, 550 bottles, limit 3 per customer
    On Tap All Day

Southampton Russian Imperial Stout is a strong version of English Stout, which was called “Imperial” because this type of special brew was exported to the Czar’s court in imperial Russia by the British in the 1800’s. This pitch black beer is brewed with 8 different malts to give it great complexity of flavor.
    10.5% Alcohol by volume

* Southampton Scotch Ale 2014
    750ml - $16/bottle, 550 bottles, limit 3 per customer
    On Tap All Day

Southampton Scotch Ale is an authentic version of the classic full bodied Scottish Wee Heavy that is brewed for export. Brewed with traditional Scottish “Golden Promise” malt to deliver the biscuity, slight vanilla character and balanced with imported UK hops.
    8.4% Alcohol by volume

* Southampton Double Ice Bock 2014
    7oz - $15/bottle, 140 bottles, limit 1 per customer

Southampton Double Ice Bock is based off of a traditional German-style Bock beer. This German lager beer is rich and malty and brewed to an alcohol strength of 6-7%. “Ice Bock” is produced when a Bock beer is partially frozen in order to increase it’s alcohol content. In this process, some of the water content turns to ice, effectively strengthening the flavor and alcohol of the beer. We take this process one step further. After the initial freezing, the beer is decanted off the ice and frozen a second time. The resulting beer is a deceptively smooth and amazingly strong lager.
    18% Alcohol by volume

We will have Saison Deluxe and Grand Cru from 2012 available and fresh Abbot 12 from 2014.

Sidebordz, sjjn, HugeBulge and 10 others like this.
  25. RRtransvestification

RRtransvestification Aspirant (238) Dec 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

So you're saying there's a chance of more peconic county...hehe

26. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Connecticut

Will anything still be available by this weekend?

27. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,229) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania

Release isn't until February 8th... so no, nothing will be available "this weekend."

ThatsThatDude likes this.
  28. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Connecticut

O
    Oh damn! I thought this happened a couple weeks ago misread the date! Thanks LOL!

29. RRtransvestification

RRtransvestification Aspirant (238) Dec 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

For those that have gone in the past. Do you think if I got there at 11, there would still be left over beer after it's given out to those with numbers?

30. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,229) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania

In the past few years, the RIS has lasted beyond the initial rush. The additional beers like Peconic, Double Ice Bock, Black Raspberry Lambic, and Uberliner have not lasted.

31. RandomBattle

Trader

Every year I've gone so far, I knew a few people who walked in after the rush and whatnot and were able to purchase full allotments.

cosmicevan likes this.
  32. facesnorth

facesnorth Devotee (422) May 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've never been to a SPH release, but was just wondering if the '13 RIS tasted any different since Phil had left? Or basically the same beer? Same with the others, should we expect any decrease in quality from those past releases? or is the replacement head brewer on top of his game?

33. xenjoiii

Trader

13' was leagues better than the 12' vintage. In all, Evan's beers have been comparable/better than Phil's work (assuming that Phil was actually brewing at SPH within the past 5 years). Additionally, Evan has been brewing and creating recipes with Phil for nearly 10 years; nothing has changed.

cosmicevan, facesnorth and POTABLE83 like this.
  34. facesnorth

Trader

Oh that's great news, makes me wanna come out and make the journey. Any suggestions on when I might need to arrive if I wanna not miss out on the Double Ice Bock? Any bottle sharing OK or not allowed?

Am I missing something as to why Phil may not have been actually brewing within the past 5 years? Or do you mean that Evan who I am presuming was his assistant, may have actually been doing the brewing during that time?

Side note: Is there any reason not to be excited about Two Roads upcoming barrel aged sour release?

35. xenjoiii

Trader

As per bottle sharing: it has been "okay" in the past. As per a time to arrive: I honestly have no idea how to gauge this release: a lot of people wrote the brewery off after Phil left; they didn't do a release party last year; this years release has received zero publicity; and this years bottle line up doesn't hold, for most people, any trade value, therefore making the trip unappealing.

From my knowledge, Evan was doing most the the brewing at the pub, while Phil oversaw production of Southampton's contracted brands.

In regards to Two Road's sour program - it could be great, but who knows. Most will agree that Igor's Dream is not nearly as good as SH IRS. I am looking forward to Two Roads upcoming sours, however. Especially the first one in April!

36. sjjn

sjjn Aspirant (282) Jun 4, 2004 California

See y'all tomorrow...really hoping to see a rogue bottle of the Black Raspberry Lambic for sale.

37. HugeBulge

Trader

Hopefully
    Hopefully your right and they bump up the ice bock allocation.

38. facesnorth

Trader

What time are people thinking about showing up? Would 9 be too late to have any hope of an Ice Bock? 8 better? Of course nobody knows for sure, but when are more experienced people thinking of showing up?

39. xenjoiii

Trader

I'm already in line.

40. HugeBulge

Trader

Lol. I'm shooting for 9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.