Southern Grist

Discussion in 'South' started by GaToWyo, Mar 8, 2018.

1. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Aspirant (251) Feb 1, 2013 Tennessee

With two taprooms and bi-weekly can releases, it's probably time for Southern Grist to have a thread.

Discuss can releases and their beers in general.

I thought Appreciate You was fantastic and hope it comes back during warmer weather.

2. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (441) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Was in the Nations taproom last night. Agreed Appreciate You is great, dead on for an Arnold Palmer. The guava lactose IPA is stellar as well.

3. jdhops

jdhops Initiate (105) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee

Really enjoying Electric Ditty Bag. Think it's SGB's best DIPA since [Insert Juicy Pun].

4. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

The Copra Kai that went on this wkend, incl 4-pk cans, is fantastic if you love coconut.

Quilentro and GaToWyo like this.
  5. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (476) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

I agree, not that suntan lotion tasting coconut either. Really good, glad to have them in the fridge.

GaToWyo likes this.
  6. GaToWyo

Agree. Sipping on one right now.

Love that SG is canning now, and the Nations taproom is awesome, and far more convenient for me!

mayorQuimby likes this.
  7. wjrainer

wjrainer Initiate (111) Feb 21, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Any word on when they’ll have another bottle release? Been a couple months since the anniversary. Itching for a good line share

8. GaToWyo

Black Currant Boysenberry Hill is quite good and looks absolutely amazing in their stemmed anniversary glasses.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  9. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

They just keep getting better. The Push 88 that came out a couple weeks ago rocked my world.

10. imyourhero21

Trader

Looks like we finally get to line up at the new location for a release ...

mayorQuimby likes this.
  11. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

I'll be there. Looking fwd to whatever the draft only variant is as well.

12. imyourhero21

Trader

I would guess it would be maybe a coffee variant or maybe some kinda fruit ??

13. bberzina

bberzina Initiate (56) Mar 24, 2015 Tennessee
    Trader

Cellar sale sounds cool. Gimme those B1T's.

14. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (137) Oct 29, 2013 California

Stopped by last Friday night, I must say their beers are fantastic! I didn’t think I’d like the chocolate or sour IPA but I was really pleased.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  15. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

Was a good release on Saturday morning. In line at ~10am and had my bottles by 11:15am. Smooth as eggs...

The beer was very good and loved the coffee variant in the taproom. Only minor complaint was the random system for giving the tickets out for cellar beers. I'm glad they saved me the money I would've spent had I been selected, but on the flip side, kind of confused re: why they wouldn't just give tickets out in order of arrival. Essentially not rewarding on a first-come, first-serve basis. Perhaps, though, this is considered an effective means for weeding out mules.

16. imyourhero21

Trader

Yeah it said on the post that it would be a random number generator done at 1030. Ive seen this done a few times , i know they do this at side project as well for certain releases . Its a way of avoiding everyone showing up at 8 am or earlier in line .

17. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

Any thoughts on Freezies & Hoverboards? The description made it sound like one of the Bruery's new Bruesicle beers, which are epic but impossible to obtain except at the brewery itself. I was cautiously optimistic going in and I think Southern Grist hit it out of the park with this. I hope they keep playing with this beer and different fruit/flavor profiles.

I unfortunately didn't make it to the bottle release a couple weeks back, but had the Moves Like Jaggery on Friday night and it is a coconut bomb. Loved it.

GaToWyo likes this.
  18. GaToWyo

Agreed on both beers. Both were amazing.

Also had the Batida w/ Raspberries which was very good as well.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  19. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,968) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I'm also a fan of the Moves Like Jaggery... I thought that beer was stellar and different... I was on the Launch Sequence wagon when the beer first came out but it has taken a weird turn in the can at this point. The Barista Berry Hill is, however, still incredible and such a different take on that series... Really digging it....

20. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,573) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Was in Nashville this past weekend, Southern Grist was definitely the highlight of the trip as far as beer goes. We visited the taproom on Monday, the beer that stood out was Boil the Ocean. Probably one of the best Gose I have had, rivaling Creature Comforts Tritonia. Everything we had there was legit. This was the only breweries beers that made it back to Houston in my luggage. Great brewery with a good range of beers on tap.

21. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (425) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Also was just in Nashville and really enjoyed SG... As mentioned above, Boil the Ocean was phenomenal. They had some pretty solid stuff overall (preferred Bearded Iris for IPA's, but their downfall is that is all they had on tap). Southern Grist was a bit more well rounded and we enjoyed both locations!

22. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (87) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

Which location should I go to if I have to pick one? Going this Saturday and might have dogs in tow (bonus points for patio).

mayorQuimby likes this.
  23. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

Go to the Nations location, there is a full patio.

Henryb22 likes this.
  24. imyourhero21

Trader

I prefer the east side , but wish they had the west sides food available lol

bberzina and mayorQuimby like this.
  25. bkbergen

bkbergen Initiate (141) Jan 5, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I am driving down from Philly on 9/28. I want to hit Southern Grist and Bearded Iris to get cans to Bri g back home. Do both locations have cans?

Which place is easier to get to. Will be coming down I81 to I 40 West and staying at Hilton Garden inn Vanderbilt.

Are there any other breweries I should check out on the way down?

mayorQuimby likes this.
  26. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

You'll be a little less than 10 min from the Nations taproom for Southern Grist, and 15 - 20 from the original space in East Nashville. Cans are sold at both.

27. mayorQuimby

Premium Trader

Agreed, the character of the original location is far superior vs. the sterile environment that is the Nations taproom. That said, I live much closer to the Nations and the much larger taproom and patio are significant pluses vs. the OG.

28. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (87) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

Looks like a solid can release this Saturday, I will definitely be stopping by.

29. imyourhero21

Trader

Yeah , 100k hill is one of his best beers for sure. Glad to see it in cans !!

SouthernGrist and bberzina like this.
  30. bkbergen

bkbergen Initiate (141) Jan 5, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What is the tax rate on the beers in your fine state? Trying to figure out how much money I am going to spend before I check into my hotel room in 2 weeks!

31. imyourhero21

Trader

Its like 9.75 i think, so just round up to 10 percent . Bearded Iris prices include tax, grist does not do that. Its usually better to buy the beers at the breweries themselves, but you will see some shops around town might be a buck cheaper sometimes .

32. mecmd

mecmd Champion (874) Jan 7, 2012 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I prefer Nations taproom. It is larger and the food is excellent. You can't go wrong with either location.

GaToWyo and SouthernGrist like this.