Release Southern Tier Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beenitty

beenitty Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2010 New Jersey

Did this drop yet?
  2. maximep

maximep Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2009 New York

there hasnt been the obligatory post of an apathetic "i really dont understand this beer" which happens with every release thread so i assume no.
    ChugLife likes this.
  3. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (171) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Maybe the paranoid type? Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about beers named after major, life-changing diseases. What's next, ST Parkinson's? Maybe ST PTSD?
  4. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Disciple (366) Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah next thing you know theyll start naming beers after symptoms of severe alcohol withdrawal...

oh wait...
  5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Southern Tier stouts are already synonymous with Diabetes.
  6. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2011 Ohio

Well god damn it all.
  7. Tieman

Tieman Initiate (162) Oct 16, 2007 California

8. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

9. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Initiate (141) Dec 13, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

10. DanH83

DanH83 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

2beerdogs, AnotherImperial and ESeab like this.
  11. bird22

bird22 Disciple (358) Jan 2, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Southern Tier is bringing it to the Firestone Walker Invitational this Saturday.
  12. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (126) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I have to add that Schizophrenia is a pretty uncool name for a beer.
    jkblodge, Caterwaul and gjoker321 like this.
  13. RhyminBelmont

RhyminBelmont Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Illinois

Only if they're attributing "schizophrenic" characteristics to the beer. E.g. split/multiple flavor "personalities", or anything else based on a layman's misunderstanding of the disorder
  14. RedMedicine

Beer Trader

I think it's pretty uncool for just about every reason outside of actually being named something like, "we are raising awareness and/or money for individuals and families coping with Schizophrenia".
  15. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 New York

You can't be serious. You just can't be.
    JArena13, Daniellobo, jmgrub and 2 others like this.
  16. RedMedicine

Beer Trader

I couldn't be more serious. If you want to add an opinion or fact to your post, we can have a discussion.
    Caterwaul likes this.
  17. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 New York

I would love to have a discussion on this topic, as long as mods don't start with the edit-hammer. Why is it uncool?
  18. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (213) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

So I'm assuming you have a problem with Kuhnhenn's 4th Dementia and it's barrel aged variant?
  19. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Uzbekistan

Someone in your family or immediate friends suffers or has suffered from schizophrenia, yes?
  20. RedMedicine

Beer Trader

Well lets at least give it a shot.

For me it seems uncool since Schizophrenia is a disease/disorder that affects people who essentially have no choice. It's a frightening, life altering disease, often with sudden onset that some people recover from, but most don't and require serious antipsychotic meds that have really horrendous side effects. It's one of the most severe and persistent mental illnesses adults can experience.

I guess I don't know what Southern Tier was getting at with the name. I can describe what a person with Schizophrenia might look like, what their symptoms are like, and I can't imagine how that might relate to the name of a beer? If they just picked it randomly or didn't put much thought into it, all the more concerning to me.

The major complaint I have is that somehow because it is a disease of the brain and not the body, it is somehow cool to throw it around as a name for a beer. Why not Breast Cancer? Or Parkinson's? Or Cerebal Palsy?
  21. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

Maybe the owner of Southern Tier is closely related to someone with schizophrenia...Maybe he/she has a slight case of it themselves....Maybe a brewer at ST has the disease,maybe one of the brewers sons/daughters has it....They could be showing respect for any one of these reasons by making something named after it, that something they're making is their passion and life.

Let's not jump to conclusions and assume that everyone at Southern Tier is an a-hole who names beer after life altering diseases to get a kick out of it.
  22. shawnohall

shawnohall Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2009 Texas

What's with all the pissing and moaning about the beer being named Schitzophrenia? PC much? While I'm not without empathy toward any family with a loved one afflicted with a disease of any kind, and most of us have, including mine, some people read way too much into things. The name I'm sure is a reference to the multiple nature or characteristics of the beer. Calling it Breast Cancer or Parkinson's wouldn't make any sense. This is a similar mentally to that exhibited by those that want the Washington football team to stop calling themselves the Redskins, even though their name didn't seem to be a issue for the first almost hundred years of their existence. Also, as the post before mine well stated, I'm sure no one at Southern Tier meant any offense to anyone when naming this beer. If we took issue with every beer that has some kind of malady in it's name, the carping would never stop. With all due respect, for the love of God, lighten up.​
  23. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

please don't derail this thread....being offended by the name schizophrenia is a joke, that's like saying delirium tremens offends you too. really? this guy must be trolling :astonished:
  24. Duffman929

Duffman929 Aspirant (279) Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I think that is where the rub is, assuming people know anything about the disorder. I just thought it was an odd name for the beer. DT's is something that people get from drinking alcohol and Dementia can be induced because of alcohol consumption, but usually people that drink with schizophrenia are trying to reduce some of the symptoms. Anyway, not trying to make this a lesson on mental health, just didn't see the connection, and it's just a beer.
  25. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,243) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I find this debate quite interesting and I can understand both sides. I work on an inpatient psychiatric unit and the main population I work with have diagnoses of schizophrenia. Now I can agree that it is an intriguing word in itself and makes a unique beer name. If they are going for "split personalities" then it is misnamed as schizophrenia has nothing to do with split personalities (the proper name if that's what they are going for would be dissociative identity disorder, but of course that doesn't make a good beer name at all) I agree with some of the sentiments that schizophrenia is an extremely chronic disorder and is unfortunate for anyone who has it, and on that note could understand why some would be offended or off put by this name...especially for those who know someone with the disorder. With all that being said, I would not boycott or complain about a beer name if its good. Take raging bitch or arrogant bastard for example... Both of these have the power to be very offensive, but they are both damn good brews, so who cares?
  26. Smokebox_79

Smokebox_79 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 Pennsylvania

......It's just beer... RELAX!
    Uniobrew31, haknort and regularjohn like this.
  27. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Initiate (93) Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Does sound very good.
  28. RedMedicine

Beer Trader

With all due respect, I just said it was uncool, someone asked why I thought that and I explained. I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    2beerdogs, mellowmark and jRocco2021 like this.
  29. RedMedicine

Beer Trader

What does that have to do with Schizophrenia?​
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  30. shawnohall

The differing characteristics of the beer is, I suppose, likened to the layman's inaccurate idea of what schizophrenia is, as some still confuse it with dual personality. That's just a guess.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  31. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,508) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Glad I'm in New York. Hope I can get my hands on this. Take that West Coast!
    fmccormi and Christopper like this.
  32. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Defender (659) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

As opposed to all those diseases people choose to get?
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  33. DevilDancer

DevilDancer Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2013 Michigan

I was just at the brewery today and asked one of the brewers about it. He told me that its going to be a extremely limited release and will almost assuredly be only on tap and only at the brewery.
  34. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2011 Ohio

I'm with RedMedicine. Making light of that sort of thing just isn't cool. it's not a matter of being PC. To me, dismissing it as being PC seems to imply not getting why it's important to consider other people's experiences when discussing those very people.

Beer sounds fantastic, though.
    j47paco, Etan and Stormfield like this.
  35. mellowmark

mellowmark Aspirant (263) Mar 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

To be fair, the name Redskins is pretty offensive to Native Americans. Slavery was also widely accepted at one point, so I don't see your point. With all due respect.
  36. shawnohall

This is getting off subject, but I'll make this one last attempt. First of all, equating the name of a football team with the practice of slavery is a bit much. The team has been the Redskins for a very long time, and millions of fans identify the name with something very positive...a proud organization with a history of hard-nosed football and success; as numerous championships will attest. I think you'll find that it's the activists driving the discontent. The average person, native American as well, I would bet is not losing any sleep over it. I don't know why there always has to be people who take something that is quite positive and are bound and determined to find the negative in it...and that goes with the name of this beer as well. Some people always seem to be offended by something, and will look for an opportunity to feel slighted around every corner and behind every bush. I kind of feel sorry for such people. At a certain point, the phrase "get over it" applies. Now let's get back to talking about beer and enjoying it. :slight_smile:
    Beerandraiderfan and sliverX like this.
  37. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2012 Washington

38. mellowmark

mellowmark Aspirant (263) Mar 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

It was an extreme example to show a point, the point being just because something is accepted does not mean it's right. I agree, let's get back to the beer.
  39. Duffman929

Duffman929 Aspirant (279) Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Depends on if it was a slow brew or not.
    Tballz420, Duff27, merc7186 and 6 others like this.
  40. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,417) Mar 18, 2010 California

I had it at the Firestone Fest. Solid stuff. Not offended by the name either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.