Special Occasion Cellar Pulls

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Plenum, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plenum

Plenum Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 New Jersey

Tonight I have the house to myself.

My wife has taken all five kids to a friend's house at the beach, and it will be quiet for the first time since this same event last year.

To mark the moment, I'm planning to open a 2003, 2005 and 2009 De Dolle Stille Nacht while grilling a full rack of ribs.

What have you opened lately from the cellar to mark an event?

MrFootstones and jedwards like this.
  2. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I was promoted at my engineering firm last week and to celebrate I opened a 2012 Chocolate Rain with my wife who also loves it.

Also, saving a CAftW 2009 Magnum for my 30th birthday (3 years from July).

3. stakem

stakem Grand Pooh-Bah (4,070) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Over the weekend was my child's first birthday party. After she went to sleep we decided to finally open a la folie from 1994 (vapeur not new belgium.)

It was over the hill and not terribly enjoyable so out came a fresh chocolate rain which was a huge hit.

4. kennylopez

kennylopez Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 New Jersey

I just cracked a 2010 Cricket Hill BBA Barleywine on the 13th of June in memory of my older brothers birthadaywho passed.

Crack1Open likes this.
  5. psychotia

psychotia Pundit (821) Jun 27, 2009 Wisconsin

I opened a Fitger's Decadence on the day I received my master's this past May... if you have the chance to trade for this one, don't hesitate putting an extra effort forth to make it happen.

6. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My hb partner and I share something tasty every Fathers Day. This was enjoyed this year. Best beer Tommy K. ever made.
    [​IMG]

7. JAXSON

JAXSON Maven (1,324) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Trader

A few weeks ago I celebrated still being alive and opened a Crianza Helena and 06 Classic Gueuze. Somewhat preferred the 06 with its deeper funk, mushroom character to the light contrasts of the Helena.

Also, about six weeks ago I celebrated having a beer cellar and opened Beatification b3 and b5 one night, and Castleton b2 and b5 the next (or the other way around). Beatification night was much cooler. Castleton b2 sucks now though it was once a great, great beer. Beatification b3 has eclipsed when b2 was at its prime, I think, and was slightly better than the b5, which is a great young batch.

8. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I teach, and a couple of quarters ago I had a really rough schedule (way more classes than typical, and a split of morning and evening courses that had me up at 5am and home after 9pm, lots of grading, and all new classes, so lots of prep work). The day I submitted the final grades, I cracked my last bottle of BCBVS. One of the best beers I've ever had-both because it was a great beer (one of my faves) and because it was such a well deserved treat.

buffs9 and halo21 like this.
  9. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

The only cellared beers that I had been waiting for the "exact" moment was back in December when I had a 2011 fou foune after presenting a huge marketing presentation that I had been working on for three semesters and after graduation in May I had a 2003 de cam oude lambiek.

10. Plenum

Plenum Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 New Jersey

So, to follow-up on the original post. The ribs were awesome. I opened a HotD Adam Batch 77 to drink while grilling, and then followed it with a 2010, 2005, 2003 "session" of the De Dolle Stille Nacht. It ended up being 70 degrees out, wind blowing a bit, and the silence was amazing! Beer was incredible too. The 2003 was definitely the highlight of the 4 brews.

11. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

I decided to open my one and only King Henry on my birthday a couple months ago. One of the better beers that I've ever had for sure!

davey101 likes this.
  12. raczkowski

raczkowski Initiate (0) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Trader

I'm having an engagement party July 14th and plan on having a cooler of about 20-30 beers in it to share with my friends that enjoy good beer...look forward to having a great time with good beer.

MrFootstones likes this.
  13. JRod1969

JRod1969 Maven (1,266) Nov 23, 2010 New York
    Trader

In September I will have a bottle of Hill Farmstead's Biere De Norma for the one year anniversary of the passing of my Grandma Norma.

brystmar, davey101 and Rempo like this.
  14. MrFootstones

MrFootstones Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 California

I'm making a big cellar raid with a few friends and family members tomorrow to celebrate my engagement. I've selected:

Beatification 003
    Duck Duck Gooze
    Cable Car 2008
    Black Tuesday 2010 and 2011
    Rare BCBS
    and 2009 EC Eclipse

And who knows what will get pulled after we get through that haha.

brystmar likes this.
  15. tylermains

tylermains Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2010 Kentucky

I have some old Cantillon including Brabantiae. I'm not sure when to pull em out. I've been looking for the right night. I'm thinking a Tuesday... just because.

16. mgp2675

mgp2675 Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 New Jersey
    Deactivated

When I graduated college my friend and I opened up a 2012 Kate the Great. Today is my grad party, we'll be doing a Beatification!!

17. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

my sister is getting married in a couple weeks and i was considering bringing black tuesday 11, beatification b5 and king henry to the reception. the wedding is in mexico though, so im not sure what the rules are as far as bringing alcohol over the border.

18. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 Texas

Congrats Brian!! :grinning:

My brother is proposing on Tuesday. He and his girl love Hill Farmstead IPAs, so I've got growlers of Double Citra & Nor on the way for them.

MrFootstones likes this.
  19. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Ohio

my first wedding anniversary is today - king henry was cracked over the weekend, & sometime this week a dark lord & a chocolate rain is gonna get opened up (not both in one night - as we want to remember the event..)

20. willandperry

willandperry Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Colorado

Not as much of a accomplishment or as much of a special brew, but after I finished moving this past weekend I opened a life and limb 2. It's tasting great, The maple flavor with the relatively thin body is so unique, but I love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.