Spicy pumpkin beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by johnnybgood1999, Sep 10, 2019 at 6:11 PM.

?

Are pumpkin chili beers appealing to you as a niche option?

1. Yes

38.9%
  2. No

61.1%
  1. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (333) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

How do you feel about them? I have only had New Belgium's Atomic Pumpkin. I think it is a really good beer and love the spice as a unique twist on the style. The heat mixes well with the pumpkin spices. They also did not shy away from heat with the habanero, which shocked me in a nationally released beer. Even more surprising (only because I could see the general public being very scared of a pepper pumpkin beer) is the fact that a lot of stores seem to be selling out very quickly here. Are there any other examples of spicy pumpkin ales?

ESHBG and NeroFiddled like this.
  2. BrewMaven

BrewMaven Devotee (456) Apr 5, 2005 New York

To me, try anything..if you don't like it, just move on.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,854) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I tried and absolutely hated Atomic Pumpkin. Im not aware of any other similar examples, nor would I personally be interested in trying them, but more power to those that do!

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  4. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,611) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I like Atomic Pumpkin and have had one other one that *might* have just been a blend of a chili beer and a pumpkin. Either way, I think it works for my tastes. A little heat and chili flavor rounds things out. I find that I enjoy pumpkin spiced beers for about 1/2 a glass and then I get bored.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  5. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (330) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

I don't know of any that would see national distribution, but I've had several pumpkin beers with peppers. Back before the death of pumpkin beer, the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival always had a couple each year.

Postdoc made a porter with ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers and it was surprisingly drinkable. I should say that I don't spicy beverages in general and don't like eating food so spicy that I feel like I'm dying. Given that, I don't think you would be surprised that I am not a huge fan of putting peppers into pumpkin beers. It usually masks the pumpkin flavors.

6. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (222) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Yeah, Atomic Pumpkin just wasn't my thing (I am very very picky when it comes to spicy beers though), but it sells well so I could well be in the minority there. That's really the only one I've had, and I would try another but I probably wouldn't be super excited about it

7. johnnybgood1999

I will agree that the heat masks the spice a bit, which may be why atomic pumpkin is the most cinnamon forward not imperial pumpkin I've had. Still, I can taste a battle between heat and spice. I'd love to try a a porter or stout version like the one you mentioned.

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,783) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I hated the first few sips. After that, the heat drew me in somewhat. Still, it is not something that I would seek out again.

9. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (268) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've had it once and enjoyed it enough to want to have it again. I typically like pepper beers, though, and anything pumpkin so putting them together works for me.

johnnybgood1999 and Bitterbill like this.
  10. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,471) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I voted 'no' because any chili pumpkin beer already has two strikes against it. I don't like chili beers, nor do I like pumpkin ales. I don't see how such a beer could get a base hit, let alone a home run.

Ffenski likes this.
  11. whitewizard

whitewizard Initiate (82) Apr 1, 2019 Arizona

Atomic Pumpkin is interesting. Tasted it last year and was surprised NB would dare give something as polarizing national distribution. Glad I tried it and I did enjoy it but don't need to revisit.

12. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,860) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Not for me. I have learned to through trial and error that I don't really enjoy chili beers.

13. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (402) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Agree with this whole post. I love pumpkin things (minus pumpkin pie oddly enough) and anything hot, but this beer just was not good at all.

FBarber likes this.
  14. johnnybgood1999

Yeah, the national distro is surprising. Really surprised me, because the combinations in this beer are definitely polarizing. I'm not surprised that this beer is not getting much love in the poll either. Still, this is year 2 or 3 for this beer and it sells quick where I'm at. Must be doing ok. As I said above, definitely a niche beer and I don't even know what niche it fits!

Bitterbill likes this.