Splurge for special beer(s)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ktr5010, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (352) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'm about to finish building an overly complex chicken coop and run, and wanted to treat myself to a special beer or beers. Budget is $200. Looking for barrel aged stouts. I've had pretty much all the BCBS notable variants so not really after those. I really liked Bottle Logic Fundamental Observation and Darkstar November. What else should I take a look at? Yes I'm buying on the secondary market and don't want the conversation to devolve into whether people should or shouldn't sell beer for a profit.

lester619, Roguer, stevepat and 2 others like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,785) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

"Chicken Coop" and a "special beer"?

BBC's Old Cock Ale
    seems appropriate.

3. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (116) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

Looks like you did some uhh Number Crunching.

Roguer, GreenBayBA and ktr5010 like this.
  4. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (60) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Main and Mill stouts. Had barrel aged imperial breakfast stout recently, which admittedly paid secondary for. It was fantastic!

GreenBayBA and ktr5010 like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,627) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Or Old Speckled Hen.

6. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (48) Nov 5, 2018 New York

I've never built a chicken coop, "complex" or otherwise, but I don't think I'd spend that much: I'd have a few cans of my old favorites, but that's just me.

7. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (265) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Good luck. Not sure anything EVER is worth it on the secondary market. With $200, I’d splurge with some pricier bombers and four packs at the beer store, then $50 for some steaks, and save $100 for the next round of drinking.

Just thinking out loud here. But say a bottle retails for $20. What’s the general secondary market price? Are you dropping $200 on 2-4 bombers only?

8. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (708) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Grab a Fremont Spice Wars and Rusty Nail and pocket the other $100.

9. charlesanaheim

charlesanaheim Initiate (42) Apr 16, 2018 California
    Trader

I would be happy to do a C+S on fundamental observation batch 5 if you want to save money or trade me some chickens.

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,556) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

What does C+S stand for?

GreenBayBA and drtth like this.
  11. Vitacca

Society Trader

Cost plus shipping?

GreenBayBA and Snowcrash000 like this.
  12. BrewmanCapote

BrewmanCapote Aspirant (251) Feb 3, 2013 Illinois

I splurged on a Chocolate Rain for New Year's Eve and loved it.

13. zid

zid Meyvn (1,296) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Against the Grain - Atilla The Hen

Not a stout but a "rye-barrel aged imperial rye amber ale" with feathers on the bottle. It was released not that long ago, and it's quite expensive, but I thought it was really nice. Hard to think of a better celebration beer for you.

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,432) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

OMG! Now I've seen it all!

15. stevepat

stevepat Defender (660) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I'd also recommend checking out Against the Grains selections. There's a good chance they're available in your market but if not they should be easy enough to obtain. Their barrel program is solid and you should be able to get 6 - 10 bombers of delicious stuff from them for that budget.

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,487) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Given your proximity to TG, it's not impossible that you could find someone selling a KBBS but $200 could prove to be a tad low. Still, for a BA stout, well worth it from what I've heard. I haven't captured one myself yet :cry:

17. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Savant (973) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

I'd second the Rusty Nail recommendation, but sub the Spice Wars for Coconut BBomb or BA Unicorn Tears. Fremont rocks!

18. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,035) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

It's not a stout, but, my special occasion beer tends to be DeuS, a Bier de Champagne.

19. ktr5010

Society Trader

Already have some Coconut BBomb via my parents! Never had Unicorn Tears though!

20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,836) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

BA Abraxas would be nice.

21. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (87) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado
    Trader

Any of the Weldwerks Medianoche variants. I'd suggest rye vanilla or peanut butter cup. Not sure how available they are in the secondary market though. BA Abraxas would be nice but I dont think you can get one for less than 200

22. RickBelgique

RickBelgique Initiate (59) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

If you're in the Park Ridge area, try BeerOnTheWall. They usually carry a good amount of limited release stuff that you don't see at other beer stores. However, not having been in there for about 2 months, I can't say what their selection of BA beers is like at the moment.

ktr5010 and GreenBayBA like this.
  23. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,635) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

You might be able to pick up one of the Dark Lord variants roughly in that range if you negotiate well.

Roguer and GreenBayBA like this.
  24. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (743) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I will recomend Wild Onions "Drago". I will not vouch for the flavored varieties, but the stuff in the red cans is mighty good

ktr5010 likes this.
  25. Snowcrash000

Trader

I wouldn't recommend BA Abraxas unless you REALLY like cinnamon.

26. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,184) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

OK, not themed by any means (I love those recommendations, though), but if you're talking about splurging on the secondary market (something of which I do not approve, but I'm not judging either), I would strongly consider:

-Angry Chair limited releases.
    -Toppling Goliath KBBS
    -Cantillon Fou'Foune
    -Dark Lord variants (in particular Marshmallow Handjee)
    -Cigar City Double Barrel Huna

Best of luck!

27. zid

zid Meyvn (1,296) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

You’ve only “seen it all” once you get to see the cashier's face when buying such a beer. :wink: It never fails.

Atilla The Hen is the imperial version of their Kentucky Ryed Chiquen (see below). I've bought each of these a few times and they make such a mess in the shopping bag. Good for a laugh, but more importantly, a joy to drink.

[​IMG]

28. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,577) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

29. Vitacca

Society Trader

WadeBridgman and cavedave like this.
  30. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,487) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Oskar Blues/Cigar City Bamburana (see my avatar) might still be on the shelves somewhere. I'd buy eleven or twelve 4-packs of it with your $200 and call it a day. I'd get more myself, but it never turned up here, though got some in a trade. This beer is incredible.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/382422/

31. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

2 or 3x $60-80 scotch is a better celebratory bang for your buck IMO.

Unless you don't like scotch of course.

32. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (226) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I’d buy Westy 12 if it was my money. Have fun!

33. ktr5010

Society Trader

Already have and love them. Favorite was the cinnamon smores.

These might be out of my price range. What Angry Chair would you recommend?

Got em already. I really enjoy them too!

Personally more of a bourbon person but I like the idea.

Never heard of it but I'll take a look

WadeBridgman and cavedave like this.
  34. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,184) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I can't really give you a well-versed Angry Chair recommendation; I've only had three of their beers - well, I've only had three of their beers while sober enough to review them. :slight_smile:

While I'm not into the secondary market, I would suspect any Cantillon, Dark Lord variants, and Huna variants would be reasonably priced. People trade them on these forums all the time, and they've been around long enough that they're not quite as hyped as they used to be. Of course, I could be wrong.

35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,323) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Utopias?

dcotom and Longhorn08 like this.
  36. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Devotee (423) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Do people honestly spend over $100 on a single bottle of beer? That seems insane. I've spent that much on scotch and really nice ryes and bourbons, but that's entirely different. That lasts months, if not a year. What on earth do you get for that much? I'm the world's biggest beer fan, and am in love with big BA stouts, but my plebian was has never even seen the likes of these ultra-hyped trade whales such as:

Abraxas
    Dark Lord
    Darkstar
    KBBS
    Handjee
    Black Tuesday Reserve
    Hunahpu
    BCBS Rare/Prop
    Fundamental Observation
    SR-71
    Mornin' Delight
    Assassin
    Etc...

I've only heard they're amazing and have always wanted to try one. How much do these things actually cost? Someone offered to trade a BA Abraxas for Vanilla BCBS but I turned it down. I can't fathom spending $100 on a single beer. Is this for multiples? Do people do realistic $4$ trades for these in the trade forums? I'm a fsirly seasoned beer guy, but I have no knowledge of the secondary value hype world of beer. I keep out of that mess.

$200 could get you a Rhetoric Orphan Barrel 23yr or a Highland Park 18, or even a Van Winkle bourbon, if you're into that whole scene. Most I've spent on a beer was $20 for a BCBS variant, and that was a truly amazing beer. Seems like a situation with a whole lot of diminishing returns.

dcotom and JayWhitson like this.
  37. ktr5010

Society Trader

Yes. To me it's about value for the experience. I personally get more value out of drinking a fantastic barrel aged stout than I do a glass of whiskey or wine. Also factoring in scarcity, availability, travel costs (Where is the brewery located? Do I have to stand in line) paying 100 dollars for a bottle may actually make more sense fiscally. Yes I understand that there are great beers available near me but I've had most of them. And this really wasn't the point of the thread. I just wanted input in what people thought I should try.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  38. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Devotee (423) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I'm not calling you out for your financial decisions. If you have that much disposable money that you can spend $100 on a bottle of beer, then go for it. I don't criticise friends who drive $175,000 cars. More power to you. I can't justify it because to me, $100 makes the difference of having rent for the week, food for the next two months, or gas to get to work. If that's pocket change to you, then that's great.

My question was more directed at the general thread audience, and legitimate questions about the cost and availability of the aforementioned beers. You do you, man. Cheers.

rodbeermunch likes this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,836) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve bought off the secondary market albeit many years ago, but there can be some reasonable values out there for beers you want to try outside of your market.

Honestly if I could find a place that would ship me 6 fresh Pliny’s I’d buy them. Most of the sites I’ve seen were always a one bottle and always sold out.

fehrminator and Bitterbill like this.
  40. Snowcrash000

Trader

Having had BA Abraxas, DB Hunahpu and J. Wakefield Desperado, I'd honestly rather drink BCBS, KBS, CBS, Parabola, Bomb!, etc. This is why I stopped trading entirely, all these beers have been disappointing and nowhere near worth the trade to me, I really wish I had kept the Lambic instead. Overhyped and poorly balanced, every single one of them.