Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Spokane: reliability fresh beer

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by woemad, Mar 10, 2017.

1. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,657) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

Hit up Huckleberry's yesterday to buy some beers for a BIF. I was struck by how many IPAs with dates on them are old. While I frequent Huck's more often than any other bottleshop locally due to geography, it seems like it's always challenging to find fresh beer in this town.

Anybody know a place that consistently has fresh IPAs and other non ageing styles (I'm not worried about, say, a can of Dark Star)?

checktherhyme likes this.
  2. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I don't know that it's just Spokane. Seems to be a growing issue with individually packaged beer. Retailers amd distributors are very reluctant to closeout price or pull from shelves.

Beer tends to be fresher at the bigger supermarkets that just move more products in general. For your geography I'd say Super 1.

beertunes, woemad and Babbo like this.
  3. woemad

Beer Trader

I don't regularly get in there, but I do know they've a decent selection for a grocery store. I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

beertunes likes this.
  4. catscadia

catscadia Initiate (155) Feb 25, 2016 Washington
    Beer Trader

When I read the title I honestly thought Huckleberry's would be your best bet. Spokane simply isn't big enough to really blow through large quantities/varieties of beer like we have available at the likes of JB's and Total Wine. I would think Huckleberry's would be better because they are decently high traffic and have a smaller selection opposed to those other 2 I mentioned.

5. woemad

Beer Trader

There were some IPA cans from last May at Huckleberry's. Can't remember which ones. Goes to show you how important it is to check dates.

beertunes likes this.
  6. Babbo

Babbo Initiate (138) Mar 13, 2014 Washington

I recently picked up a bottle of Lost Coast's Indica IPA at a place I won't name, since they usually do a good job, that was dated August 2015 (which I failed to notice until I cracked it and got the geyser). They were properly chagrined when I pointed it out, but it's definitely buyer beware out there.

stevesbeer, beertunes and woemad like this.
  7. whiskey

whiskey Aspirant (273) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Speaking of fresh beers in Spokane, does No-Li still have enjoy by dates or have they upped their game to bottling dates?

beertunes likes this.
  8. Babbo

Picked up a can of their amber that just rolled out last week, date stamp is 2/23 so I assume that's a packaging date.

woemad and whiskey like this.
  9. Babbo

Meant to mention, retailers generally rely on distributors to police this when they check stock (and once I realized who distributes Lost Coast here, not too surprised).

catscadia, woemad and beertunes like this.
  10. Babbo

Just checked the store, no visible dates on the bottles (12 or 22).

woemad, beertunes and whiskey like this.
  11. woemad

Beer Trader

I think it's happening more and more across the board, and the stores are in complicity with the distributors. No one rocks the boat. The sheer amount of old beer around town boggles the mind.

MjBrewhouse and checktherhyme like this.
  12. woemad

Beer Trader

Btw, what's with Field 41 cans around here? 4 different places I've been in the last week have cans that are stamped as having been canned in November.

NWer and checktherhyme like this.
  13. MjBrewhouse

MjBrewhouse Devotee (476) Mar 25, 2014 Idaho
    Supporter Beer Trader

Have to agree about the amount of old beer on the shelves. i was at total wine in spokane valley last week and it is like they don't care or are not aware of the dates on a lot of the IPA's and Pale Ales that are on the shelves. I saw Stone Ripper which I've been wanting to try and it already had 3 months on it and not being refrigerated I'm like not touching a $12 6 pack with 3 months on it. Most of the Alpine stuff was nearing its best by date as well. I'm like a lot others if there isn't a date on the can or bottle I won't touch it. Have to admit I love Fort George Vortex but the ones I see at Pilgrims in CDA don't have dates on them so I pass them by.

NWer and woemad like this.
  14. woemad

Beer Trader

Just got bit again by the old beer bug. I sent someone a bottle of Impaler purchased at Huckleberry's. Judging by his response on Untappd, it was so old the hops had faded.

beertunes and checktherhyme like this.
  15. woemad

Beer Trader

TW are among the worst offenders, but I'll be damned if I can find anywhere not guilty of this.

MjBrewhouse likes this.
  16. Babbo

17. stevesbeer

stevesbeer Initiate (180) May 17, 2016 Washington
    Beer Trader

I feel this is the thread to point out I was just at the Mt Spokane yokes, they still have barrel aged narwhal, w currants, and bbomb in two varieties, 3 of the recent abyss varieties as well, 2015 and 2016 regular barrel aged included. I only spill this because I have spent way too much lately and can't reap the windfall myself. It's on an end cap just as you enter the beer aisle.

beertunes and woemad like this.
  18. woemad

Beer Trader

Now those are the kind of old beers I like to find!

stevesbeer, beertunes and NWer like this.
  19. woemad

Beer Trader

Definitely seem the worst offenders but not alone.

And why is the distributor okay with this?

NWer and beertunes like this.
  20. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,004) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

The Total Wine stores in the Seattle area still have Urban Family bottles from when they were brewing in Ballard. And Driftwood bottles from when they distributed to WA. Those are some old beers.

sharpski, woemad and beertunes like this.
  21. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I think to some degree a lot of the beer on the shelf is not there because it's a good mover or even making them any money at all, as weird as that sounds. For the distributor, that's space that might otherwise be occupied by competitors. For a retailer like Total Wine, it adds to the "wow look how much we have" appeal. For the brewer, it gives their name more visibility.

If the distributor or brewer is religious about removing old stock, the retailer might see that products really aren't taking advantage of shelf space and give it to a competitor.

The number of people who care is just too small to make a difference.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.