Spontaneous fermentation success

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by azurel, May 23, 2017.

1. azurel

azurel Disciple (346) May 27, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

So this past weekend(Saturday) we were brewing a Citra/Mosaic hop IPA....We ended up having some extra wort....It ended up being about 2 gallons once the mash drained....

So I figured what the hell I have been wanting to try a spontaneous fermentation. So I took 2 gallons boiled it separate and added about .6oz of mosaic at the 20 minute mark for hopefully some antibacterial properties. It was in a small stainless steel pot with a couple muslin bags stretched over it.

I took it out to my moms shed since it was raining at the moment and let it cool overnight....I couldn't get back to it on Sunday so it sat....On Monday morning my mother took it out and let it sit in the flower bed out of the sun....I was finally able to get to it today and see what was going on. I pulled the muslin bags off and it was fermenting already....

Has a real strong fruity nose with a little spice.....Pretty excited to see what happens with it. I know it a bit bigger volume then most start with....

Here is a picture of it in the gallon carboy.
    [​IMG]

2. Tebuken

Tebuken Disciple (323) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

You missed to mention you have pitched enough yeast to develop such a nice fermentation/krausen.

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,062) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

I'm thinking all that fermentation/krasuen is from the wild yeast/bacteria that found its way into the chilling wort. Sounds like he didn't pitch any yeast (thus negating Spontaneous Fermentation).

4. Tebuken

There is no way to achieve that fermentation(as spontaneous) in 3 days, you must consider whatever microbes have fallen into this wort need enormously more time to increase their biomass to get such a fermentation like the foto shows, absolutly no-way.Maybe ET is still living in this people´s garden and he has pitched some of his et-critters overnight wthout being seen..

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  5. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

No yeast was pitched....

When the worth went outside it had just come off the burner and was boiling.....This was taken outside to cool before we even pitched the yeast for the IPA we brewed just to remove that as a factor........Some of the sediment is hop pellets and drudge solids that have settled out.....But it is fermenting by wild yeast....

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  6. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,062) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

in one gallon of lower gravity wort, absolutely possible. Depends on what he got in there.

7. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Some of the foam is also from transfer....But there was quite a bit in the pot when I brought it in to transfer to the jug. It also sat outside for 48 hours before being transfered.

If it had cooled in the brew room I would possibly assume some yeast from previous brewings might have got in...But I don't know of any brewing yeast that can withstand boiling temperatures....

I honestly expected to find nothing or something nasty to be truthful....But reality is it still maybe nasty......Won't know till it fements

8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (675) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

How warm and/or windy was that May Day in Michigan? :relaxed:

9. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

It was about 55 sunny and it was pretty windy all day.....
    They also have a large natural pond on the property and is surrounded by woods....about 2 miles away is an apple orchard as well.....

10. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Here is an updated picture as it sits right now.....24hrs after transfer and 72hrs after being left outside to cool.....
    [​IMG]

Drel and Lukass like this.
  11. Lukass

Lukass Champion (899) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Looking good! I've done open ferments before with small amounts of wort with the intention to catch wild yeast and build a starter culture. But, I've never tried it on an actual batch of beer.

Between sitting in the shed for a day, and the flower bed for an additional day, there must've been a dense population of yeast/bacteria around there to get a fermentation like that. Nice catch. Definitely save the yeast cake if the samples taste good. A yeast like that would work well in a low IBU saison at warm temps I'm sure.

azurel and jbakajust1 like this.
  12. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah for sure....I plan to make some slants as well for safe keeping.....I am willing to bet the amount of wooded area that surrounds their house was a big contributer. ....After reading all I have been reading I probably wouldn't have used such a large amount either..... Sometimes I guess winging it pays off...lol. I am pretty excited to see what comes of this....

So far no off or bad aromas coming from the airlock....

Lukass likes this.
  13. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

Nice work! I also just put out some jars to see if I can capture something. I'm up in Traverse City, where do you live in Michigan?

azurel likes this.
  14. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Kalamazoo.....Good luck....Hopefully you capture something good...If you do post about it.....

15. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]A full week since open air cooling....6 days since transfer to glass carboy/ growler....Still fermentating and bubbling ....Temp today got up to around 70 degrees in the closet I have it sitting in....

Will be making some agar plates and slants when this is all done.....

16. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

So you re-captured a Bell's strain :wink:

swolepeer, Tripel_Threat and azurel like this.
  17. Tebuken

I must appologize for my post regarding this nice fermentation could not be possible in such a few days as OP has posted.I have consulted OLD SOCK and he told me that it is perfectly possible because wild fermentations have a very wide variablity.

Excuse me

My best regards from Argentina

18. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

No worries.....No offense taken at all....I appreciate the reply.

James

Tebuken, lic217 and Andy311x like this.
  19. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

When I read that, I remembered that I regularly drain out my fermenters into the same old stump in the back yard. And I mostly use chico. Perhaps I will try something similar someday.

azurel likes this.
  20. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

No real change....Bout 2 weeks left before a sample will be taken....I have read and seen video where it was stated once it hits roughly 30 days it should be completely safe. Although as rapid as fermentation started I doubt there is big risk of any bad bacteria.

Andy311x and BigIslandfarmer like this.
  21. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Well Tuesday was 2 weeks since transfer....Whatever yeast was fermentating is starting to flocculate out....
    I have noticed the fruity, spicy aroma has reduced over this past week as the yeast really began to ferment. Now there is also a light sulphur smell coming out of the airlock.

Here some updated pictures....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#21 azurel, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  22. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (184) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

This will dissipate if given long enough. It might, however, reappear when you package the beer. Wild sacch. sp., very probably.

Have you tasted the beer?

azurel likes this.
  23. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

I have not yet....everything I have read and seen in video said to wait atleast 30 days....to be safe....so I planned on taking a sample on the 14th which would put it at 4 weeks since cooling.....

I am open to suggestions though....I have about read everything I can find on the net..And still have some questions...I have the book American sours coming as well.

Prep8611 and BigIslandfarmer like this.
  24. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (522) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Check the pH. If it's below about 4.5 it's safe to drink... still, just try a small taste.

azurel likes this.
  25. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Checked on it today and the sulphur has almost completely disappeared.....

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  26. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Took a sample today....

If the calculations were/are correct the OG was 1.048....It is sitting at right now about 1.028/.027. So it looks like it is about 2.6% alcohol.

PH looks to be sitting lower then 4.6. I know strips are not as accurate but was all I had/have on hand and did see color change to the 4.6 color on the comparison chart...I might go get the other strips that test lower or. Titration test kit....

When I pulled the air lock there is a heavy tutti fruity aroma with some spice. No sulphur at all...It has completely flocculated out on this first stage.

Taste was quite bitter from I assume the mosaic hops. Followed by a strong fruit flavor that was similar to the aroma and a bit more alcohol then I would have guessed for it possibly being 2.6%....There is still positive pressure being seen in the airlock....so I think I will just let this go for a few months and see what happens.

It has some pretty nice color to it...
    [​IMG]

27. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (675) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

29 is not that much different 31...you'll be fine, although I'm not sure about your intestines :grimacing:

azurel likes this.
  28. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Well here's to hoping....lol It tasted much better then I expected....still young and needs more time.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  29. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Update.....Well after a week of taking the sample we now have a police forming...So there is some souring starting....Pellicles are really cool looking...
    [​IMG]

30. redgorillabreath

redgorillabreath Initiate (190) Mar 29, 2015 Pennsylvania

Thanks for the posts!!!

31. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

No problem....Pretty interesting watching this change. Two days ago I noticed a white spot the size of a quarter or so....Looked tonight and its what is pictured.....

And this new phone spell check has changed pellicle to police every time I have typed it....lol I see it did it here as well....to late to edit.

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  32. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Devotee (442) Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Maybe the iPhone knows the pellicle is the oxygen police.....

azurel likes this.
  33. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (71) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Keep the updates coming. I want to start some kind of long-term sour beer later this year, and I'd like to capture some wild yeast to throw in for some added complexity, so this thread is fascinating to me.

azurel likes this.
  34. EvenMoreJesus

Will it be your first sour?

35. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

I will.....once this step takes off it will probably be more time in bettween posts.

I am reading American Sours right now as well....and Emailed Michael Tonsmeire(the author of American Sours) about wither I should just let this age out or use this as a starter on a bigger batch. He mentioned the first step was to take a SP gravity reading and PH....If that is with in proper ranges then a taste test.....I have done that and it shows a really positive future. So I think my next step will be to brew a pretty standard sour wort and pitch this into it....Then let it do it's thing long term....Now that it has went through the initial phase it should be good to go...

36. EvenMoreJesus

If you are interested, I can give you some other online resources.

azurel likes this.
  37. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Absolutely.....I am always looking for resources and other paths of information....The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.....

38. EvenMoreJesus

Are you on Facebook?

39. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yes......James Wesley....I have a bunch of frog pictures....that's the easiest way to know you have the right guy.....

40. EvenMoreJesus

Check out the Ambient/Spontaneous Fermentation Techniques: Exploring Local Terroir page.

Obviously Milk The Funk, if you're not on it, is a wonderful resource. The FB page is very good, but the wiki is the best source in the world for making these types of beers.

azurel likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.