Squeeze the Hop Bag?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Powaygreen, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powaygreen

Powaygreen Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2012 California

I'm new to home brewing, only brewed 4 batches now, and been meaning to ask about this.... Is there any negative effects of squeezing the hop bag to get as much of the hop breakup into the wort as possible? Or do you just remove the bag, and hold it over the wort for a while to let it drain as much as possible? I've noticed that if you just hold it over the wort and let it drip drain, there is a lot of stuff that gets caught in the bag, and will not make it into the wort.

As always, any advice is much appreciated and thanks.

2. OGB_JBP

OGB_JBP Initiate (19) Oct 27, 2008 Michigan

I don't think it would be a problem to squeeze the hop bag. I've heard you shouldn't squeeze the grain bag because it will release tannins. However, if you're worried about stuff getting caught in the bag, you could just throw the hops directly in the boil.

StaveHooks likes this.
  3. MrOH

MrOH Defender (642) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Yeah dude, why not? So long as you're wearing sanitized rubber gloves, I see no problem with this.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  4. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

kettle hop bag squished with sanitized spoon - yes I do.
    dry hop bag squeezed in any way? - no I do not.

OddNotion likes this.
  5. Naugled

Naugled Crusader (737) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

I squeeze both kettle and dry hop bags. I use a spoon for the kettle and sanitized rubber gloves for the keg.

6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,229) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I don't bag the kettle, but I do squeeze my dry hop bag in the keg just a little. I use leaf only, so it expands pretty well and has to squeeze to get out of the keg anyways.

Squeeze away in any instance, as long you are sanitary about it.

Tebuken likes this.
  7. Tebuken

Tebuken Disciple (326) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

I always squeeze the hop bag carefully avoiding drops splashing into wort, I just let wort slips gently around fermentor walls.

8. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I give it the old twist-a-roo and I'm done when it stops streaming and just dribbles a little.

9. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

If your worried about it going into the wort, you could always squeeze the hop bag into a glass for a sample...

10. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (267) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

Short answer: no
    Longer answer: no.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  11. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I have used sanitized tongs to pull hop bags out and give them a squeeze.

12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,211) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Squeeze, squeeze, if you please,
    No harm, no foul, and no disease.
    Squeeze and all will be quite merry,
    Provided that you're sanitary.

13. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I do a double dry hop in the keg - and I try to avoid letting the bag get squeezed while pulling it out of the keg opening (meaning I have to limit the hops to about 3-4 ozs of pellets). I have gotten vegetal/grassy off flavors from that in the past - especially from hops that were in there for about 2 weeks.

I use a hop bag in the boil for a 10 min addition of whole cones and I don't mind squeezing those as that grassy hoppiness is what I am going for with that addition anyway.

YMMV

14. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (267) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

♪♫ Take me to the bridge! ♪♫

cavedave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.