St. Goar

Discussion in 'Germany' started by nathanp01, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathanp01

nathanp01 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Texas

I'll be travelling through this area and staying for 1 night. I wanted to know if there are any good places to get a brew in, from what I understand to be, more of a wine area..?

2. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't know this area, but have traveled in other "wine areas" of Germany and never had a problem finding good beer.

Other members closer to the location ought to be able to give some examples.

3. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany
    In Memoriam

Visting Lorelei, are you ? :slight_smile:
    That area produces world class wine and I'd strongly encourage you to have a Riesling there because all the beer you are likely to find is imported Bitburger and other industrial brew.

4. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Okay, one of the members other than the curmudgeonly Stahlsturm ought to be able to give some examples. :grinning:

5. Stahlsturm

In Memoriam

Truth stays truth even if you denounce me as "curmudgeonly" :stuck_out_tongue:
    There are breweries in Koblenz but nothing is closer than that and the OP may or may not be lucky in finding something good but in all likelyhood wherever he turns he'll find 2 pages of white wine and several sizes of Bitburger in any given menue.

6. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Maybe some fresh Bellheimer? I always had a fondness for that beer...something about the soft-tasting brewing water.

7. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

(Funny part is, I'm probably 20 years older than this Knicker! :grinning:)

8. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Zealot (645) Feb 4, 2003 California

On our bike trip last summer -- with the exception of some passible beer in Koblenz and
    Ingelheim
    -- it was pretty much a beer wasteland along the Rhine once we left Köln (even Brauhaus Bönsch was crap). I was so tired of Bitburger! It wasn't until
    Glaabsbräu up the Main in
    Seligenstadt that we had a decent beer.

9. Stahlsturm

In Memoriam

Steve, 20 years on top of me would put you beyond what's conventionally considered retirement age... Should I treat you like a Senior Citizen then ? :grinning: :stuck_out_tongue:

10. Stahlsturm

In Memoriam

Hence my saying, skip the beer, take on white wine. For wine this entire area is like a trappist monastery in downtown Bamberg.

11. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Really? I knew I should have built my career in Germany! :grinning:

(what is "conventional" retirement age in Germany?)

12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well, we lived a little up river from there, and he is right.

13. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Herr B seems to think it's not that much of a wasteland. After all, it is Germany... I think I could find something worth drinking that was made with barley malt and not grapes!

14. hopfenunmaltz

Pooh-Bah Society

You could, but you have to remember that there aren't much in the way of local breweries in the Rheingau. Koenigsbacher was pretty good, but the brands are part of Bitburg now, so I don't know how that one is today.

I'm, sure one could find some Jever or Koenig also.

Edit - This is the part of Germany where every village has multiple wineries. The Rheingau Reisling is so good that my wife found that she liked it. There are many excellent small wineries that aren't know out of the region. Our German friends would say "Jeff, in France they drink the crap, and export the good stuff. Here we export the crap, and drink the good stuff ourselves!"

Stahlsturm and boddhitree like this.
  15. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

I know it's a different area than what we're discussing, but a wine area nonetheless; I had the good opportunity to spend a long weekend in Würzburg where I thought the 2 cultures blended quite well. I wish I could remember the Dunkelweizen we were drinking at a small fest near the Dom, but it was quite nice. And our hotel was on the ridge overlooking the river and vineyards, serving some nice examples of the local wines.

Hah. But see, I'd bet that even the crap wine in France is pretty good, just like much of the "crap" beer in Germany.

16. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have to admit, when I'm in that area I go for the wine. That place is to good, abundant wine (and food!) the way the Bamberg area is to beer -- i.e. a Fantasy Land :wink:

17. hopfenunmaltz

Pooh-Bah Society

The thing I liked most about the plonk in France was that it was very cheap. Otherwise it was only OK at best. Belgian beer was fairly easy to find, but had import beer prices.

18. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

My wife and I are big proponents of "table wine." The price is always right and we have been lucky enough to find some pretty good examples for or Friday evening repast.

19. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

So I took it upon myself to do a little research and discovered that the retirement age is the same in Germany as it is here in the U.S. -- so I gave you credit for being a much more youthful Kopf-Schläger!

But I guess I was spot-on with my Knicker assessment! :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.