Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Staples Mill, Stillwater Mn info

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Bildo, May 9, 2013.

1. Bildo

I would some backround info on Staples Millls brewery. Was thinking of taking a trip to Stillwater and possibly seeing if it was worth the effort to visit their brewery.

All information would be appreciated.

2. deadbody

Beer Trader

Closed as of right now. Tap room license expired and not renewed. Public safety licenses expired.

I wouldn't count on them ever re-opening.

Chaz likes this.
  3. Cyclone8

Beer Trader

But their (bottled) beers were so tasty!;)

accordselux likes this.
  4. incutrav

Awful beer, but every time I walked by the place there where plenty of people in there. This might be the first 'brewery' to close in MN since the Green Mill Brewpub on Grand ave. Think that was about '04-'05?

5. minnesotaryan

are you interested in going because it is hilarious? that would be the only thing worth going for, the comedy.

6. mnbearsfan

Beer Trader

I like how their "Public Safty License" expired. Maybe the State took it away because it was unsaft to drink?

minnesotaryan likes this.
  7. KarlHungus

Beer Trader

McCann's in St. Cloud closed a year or so ago. I was only there once. The beer was alright, but the food was some of the worst I've ever has at a restaurant. Think bad cafeteria food.

8. maximum12

Beer Trader

Staple Mills: the Ford Pinto of the Minnesota Brewing Renaissance.

9. minnesotaryan

more like daewoo.

herman77 likes this.
  10. LIQUORBARREL

Instead of Staples Mill just stop at Smalley's in Stillwater have the 666 wings.

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  11. iadler

Beer Trader

So you're telling me stout of morning destruction is somehow even more .rar than it was before?! *heads out to nearest liquor store to camp out and buy out morning destruction*

12. shawnp

Beer Trader

Like......Dane Cook funny or Mitch Hedberg funny?

13. ben4bier

Definitely dane cook funny, sad funny. Does anyone know if their facilities are fully. Intact and might be an opportunity for another brewer to setup shop there?

14. dc55110

Beer Trader

But Dane Cook isn't funny, not even sad funny.

15. ben4bier

Certainly not haha funny but funny ib the context of saying, "hmmmmm, that's funny, i thought i was buying beer, not mud piss and bong water"

16. deadbody

Beer Trader

They didn't have a boiler, some sort of rule from the city or landlord. They bought their wort from someone else and just did the fermentation.

17. deadbody

Beer Trader

No they had a couple licenses with Public safety, the MCB for the brewery, the FMW to wholesale it, and IIRC their dept of Ag license expired as well.

18. incutrav

I can't understand why a business that requires so much capital expense to get started would seemingly not even try to put out decent beer? Somebody lost a lot of money in this venture.

If downtown would let them get a boiler to move away from beign only a fermentation house, could be a good options for somebody- I know Blacklist wanted to be in Stillwater, and ol' Fyten from Stagecoach, Fyten Ales, etc has talked for years about being in the 'st croix valley'

19. minnesotaryan

a comedy of errors.

precisely.

20. ben4bier

I haven't had the "pleasure" of trying staples mills and haven't had stagecoach recently but from my experience that wouldn't be a huge stepup

incutrav likes this.
  21. mjryan

While I'm sure the people behind Stillwater Brewing/Staples Mill lost money on this venture, Im not sure it was much. Judging from photos Ive seen, they basically had a small fermentor. They did have kegs and bottles, so I suppose there was some expense in that equipment.

22. mjryan

Seriously, the beer produced by Staples Mill was unbelievably bad. Just rotten. The whole thing was weird from the very begining. I mean, where did they even get the wort they fermented from? And what the fuck is a stout of the morning destruction? Really, really wierd.

23. maximum12

Beer Trader

I talked to the guys who ran the place (brewers?) at the tap room not long after it opened up. Believe it or not, the beer in the tap room wasn't bad...nothing like the swamp-gas swill they jammed into bottles.

Anyways, they told me that they couldn't get a brewing permit because Stillwater was concerned about the odors, especially during the summer tourist season. When I asked about the brewery they were very vague, something like "Gee, if we can get the permit, we can brew on-site. Right now we're buying the wort from a guy in Wisconsin." When I tried to ask a little more, the guy I was talking to changed the subject. They also had some odd, re-usable plastic kegs they were going to put their beer in...seemed like a cool idea, but haven't seen anything like it before or since. I'm sure it's out on the Interwebs somewhere, but I don't care enough to go look.

I always imagined them buying wort from a guy in a black duster out of the back of an old Camaro.

24. knelson

They are called Key Kegs I believe. When I was there they were pushing these as the most sustainable and green option for kegging. Basically its a plastic ball with an inner bag. Air is forced around the bag to push the beer out so no air actually touches the beer. When done you just recycle the ball and the cardboard box they come in. Sounds like a good idea but how is that greener than a steel keg that can be used over and over and over and .....The whole situation was weird there. Oh and the beers they had on tap?...Aweful. I think they had a Brown ale and a Pale all of which paled in comparison to fresh St. Croix River Water.

25. Bildo

it wasnt my only reason for going.....actually was going for smalleys wings

26. Chaz

Beer Trader

Perhaps even: "Yugo"?

Thanks to this thread I guess I can scratch Staples Mill off my list of: "things to do in Stillwater", so some good (and some good laughs) has come from the OP!

ISO: Smalley's Wings -- or is that the culinary equivalent of a DONG? ;)

27. maximum12

Beer Trader

Keg keys. That was it. And you're absolutely right about it being questionably 'green', but they sure did look cool.

And with somebody else making their wort I have no doubt that the consistency of their tap room beer was...questionable at best. But it was fine when i was there.

28. GeezLynn

That sounds slightly more appealing than their grain-laced paint thinner (I think they called it Frat boy pilsner).

I feel like it's too early to publicly trash some of the newest breweries, but will say that I recently had several Staples Mill-caliber beers from a new brewer in the region. Spectacularly bad beers are still out there to be had.

maximum12 likes this.
  29. mjryan

Really, I mean Staples Mill was just all kinds of bad. Now, Leech Lake has its issues, but their beer is ambrosia compared to Staples Mills. Aside from them I can't think of another newish local brewery with such obviously off product.

30. morimech

Big Wood. But not Staple Mills bad.

31. KarlHungus

Beer Trader

Isn't he the guy who thinks that the louder he yells the 'joke' into the mic the funnier it is?

32. Samwhyz

The off taste of their beers was even more odd when from what I understand their head brewer was a certified sommelier.

33. HomeBrewed

Beer Trader

Dane Cook should never be mentioned in the same sentence with Mitch Hedberg.

herman77, Cyclone8, dc55110 and 2 others like this.
  34. olympuszymurgus

Beer Trader

What if we're making a a scale of comedic ability? Statement: Dane Cook(0) to Mitch(10) I would say Patton Oswalt is a 4.

35. HomeBrewed

Beer Trader

Ok, fair enough.

36. ben4bier

Where would we put Jim gaffigan? 7ish? Patton Oswald's voice kind of has a whiny tone that hurts my head

37. knelson

I was not aware that they were not actually brewing on site. If I remember correctly they said that they were in fact brewing there. I thought it was odd that they would not give me a tour of their brewhouse....haha.

38. LIQUORBARREL

Kevin perhaps you should unvail your Beta Queen(Alpha King clone) and have a tour of your brewery(garage).
    Bet it gets more love than Staples Mill!

39. knelson

I gotta figure out how to get it into a key keg first....

40. Chaz

Beer Trader

Here's an "outside of B.A." report on them closing. Maybe another outfit can open a new taproom in that space?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe