Staying downtown at LA Live

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Thishops4u, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thishops4u

Thishops4u Disciple (304) Mar 7, 2013 Kansas
    Beer Trader

Where can I find some good bottle shops and nice tap offerings in downtown L.A.?

2. Aaronkv

Aaronkv Aspirant (234) Jul 9, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yard House @ LA Live has a great happy hour, and some decent taps too. Not sure on the Bottle Shops.

3. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (109) Nov 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Ramirez Liquor in Boyle Heights has great bottle selection, check them out if you have time, cheers!

GRG1313, iluvBA4life and mrcraft like this.
  4. sportstsar

sportstsar Aspirant (225) Jan 23, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Bottle shop info:

If you have access to a car, then Ramirez is your best bet in the area. Sunset Beer Company and Vendome Beverly Hills are also within a few miles.

Buzz is actually walking distance from LA Live (20min or so - corner of 5th and Spring), but they have totally gone off the deep end with their new beer buyer. They were trying to sell their last bottle of Velvet Merkin for $30 - double what it went for anywhere else! Their justification was that since it's the last one, it's even rarer and worth more. They claimed that it was originally priced at $25, then offered it to me for that price after I was appalled by their initial price tag. Apparently it's more of a swap meet than bottle shop now, so go at your own risk.

5. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Meyvn (1,334) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

jakecattleco and albertq17 like this.
  6. Thishops4u

Thishops4u Disciple (304) Mar 7, 2013 Kansas
    Beer Trader

Thanks all. Just arrived time to hit up some of these places.

7. chromebomb

chromebomb Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2009 California

This! The only good thing about Buzz is that they are open til 2am every night.

Weird Beers on 7th between spring and broadway is another option they have some decent stuff.

8. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

Vendome Bev Hills is pretty far from downtown. jus sayin

that's ridiculous of Buzz. by the way, i just saw Merkin at Trader Joe's in Silver Lake (12.99) and bought 3 bottles

iluvBA4life likes this.
  9. sportstsar

sportstsar Aspirant (225) Jan 23, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

If he's staying at LA Live, it's not too bad - just a straight shot down Olympic. That's the route I take to work every morning out of DTLA and it's only about 8 miles.

10. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (765) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Had Sculpin, Ruination and Double Jack yesterday at the LA Live Yardhouse. Chalkboard series has mostly pumpkin style beers including Dogfish Head Punkin. Just the usual. Nothing special. I took the purple line down to Koreatown before to hit up Beer Belly and of course I forgot they don't open till 5. Check out Beer Belly site. I believe they have some nice selections right now and they open at 11am on the weekends. A 10 minute ride on the purple line from 7th St/Figuerora and then a 3 minute walk north on Western. You can't miss.

11. chromebomb

chromebomb Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2009 California

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I will give Buzz 1 point for the most ridiculous loophole jump I have ever seen at a booze store. They have a little bar in the back with a couple of taps but they don't have a full pour permit or whatever so they can only pour tasters, and they have onsite consumption only if you rent a wine locker. I saw a guy buy a bomber, the lady got on the ladder out, took the bomber and climbed up to the wine lockers. She put the beer in the locker, locked it, waited about 5 seconds then unlocked it and grabbed the beer, took it down, opened it and poured it for the dude at the bar. So I applaud them for skirting the rules a little bit but they also wanted $25 for Double DBA.

12. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

i've never been too impressed with their selection. the tasting area seems cool though

the only thing that bums me out is the beers they have sitting out by the front window / door. not sure if they have uv protection or whatever, but to me i don't think it would be good to have all day sunlight beating down on the beers, even if they are in packages

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,646) Mar 18, 2010 California

Wow, 5 second locker rentals.

14. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,670) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Wow. Too bad about Buzz. I've not been in for a while but love the concept of sort of a wine store with "off the beaten track" wines at very good price points.

I thought the beer selection was very good. And, forgive me for forgetting the names, but they have a few bottles that only they seem to get. I hope things improve. It was a pretty good new store from what I could tell the couple of times I went in.

15. Tom-Peters

Tom-Peters Aspirant (263) Mar 1, 2012 California

They had rumpkin for $17.50, steeeep

16. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (165) Jul 2, 2013 California

was at buzz tonight and they had two more bottles of Velvet Merkin for $30 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.