Steady Habit Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by CTJman, Jan 16, 2015.

1. CTJman

CTJman Crusader (784) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

So tomorrow Steady Habit Brewing in Haddam CT is opening its doors for the first time. They will be having a soft opening at 12 and closing at 3:00pm. Check our their FB page for more details but seems they will have their DIPA and Porter on for fills. Im gonna head over and check them out.

www.steadyhabitbrewing.com

#1 CTJman, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Jonny41 and smutty33 like this.
  2. ddobrydney

ddobrydney Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Jon is a great dude. Was lucky enough to try some Our Daily Bread and found it to be fantastic. I would suggest anyone who loves Hops to stop by and check it out.

3. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,448) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

CTJman likes this.
  4. CTJman

Beer Trader

Pahn likes this.
  5. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Aspirant (239) Jan 30, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I hear Jon likes to squat thrust

6. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (276) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Did anyone go to the soft opening today? If so how were their beers?

7. BruinsDude325

BruinsDude325 Aspirant (214) Oct 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

My brother went. Said they where all exceptional. Grabbed a growler I believe of a dipa. I will give my opinion tomorrow after I try it.

8. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Devotee (426) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I didn't make it there today, but one of my customers showed me pictures and damn! There was a humungous line that snaked its way around the whole place. Only two beers on draft: He Died With His Boots On, and In Robust We Trust, a DIPA and robust porter respectively.

Next week it's their IPA (Our Daily Bread) and a 100% Nelson APA (Behold!). I'm sending the girlfriend out to get a growler of the Nelson APA because I'm pretty sure I need it. ;) Hopefully she times it just right, otherwise, I'll have to put on my, "who knew" face if she reports back about a line, lol. My work hours and brewery hours are generally the same, but I live right down the street from Steady Habit/Tony's, so I have to give it a shot.

My girlfriend's dad picked up a growler of the DIPA. He didn't sample it there, lest he ruin the surprise. Hopefully there's some leftover after the weekend, but we shall see.

CTJman likes this.
  9. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@Onemoresolo I'm Jon, one of the guys who runs Steady Habit, if ur around during the week and want to get a fill pop in to Tonys as I work there during the day. I'll take care of you. Cheers!

Genuine, Pahn, blckout20 and 3 others like this.
  10. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,342) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Hey Jarrod how did the opening go? How were the reviews from customers? How many of their own beers do they currently have?

11. jrand2621

jrand2621 Disciple (344) Dec 26, 2013 Connecticut

Porter and DIPA were on yesterday. Line was crazy! In my opinion, Steady Habits beers are better than exceptional. I would highly recommend going to get a fill.

12. CTJman

Beer Trader

@PA-Michigander Opening went pretty well actually. There was a constant line and I think it went smooth. But I'll refer that to @CTBeerPope.

PA-Michigander likes this.
  13. lic217

lic217 Crusader (751) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Price check for a 750 ml fill?

14. DrunkyBuddha

DrunkyBuddha Zealot (502) Jul 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

If u use ur own 750.. Dipa was 9 porter was 7

Pahn and lic217 like this.
  15. 23jlkrause

23jlkrause Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2015 Connecticut

I made it. Picked up a growler of both the dipa and porter. Exceptional beers. Line was crazy but they were working their tails off to help everyone.

16. Kguilmartin

Kguilmartin Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2014

Do they sell 750's or should we bring our own?

17. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@Kguilmartin you can totally bring your own growlers but we only fill 750ml right now

18. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

19. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@CTJman @PA-Michigander my volunteers worked their asses off. We didn't know what to expect to be honest so in the beginning it was dead stop slow but as we adjusted we picked up the pace. We were thrown right into the fire and hopefully next week the adjustments I make will help if there is a line again this time. Big thanks to @CTJman for being my all purpose madman and just being one of my best friends in general. We are starting out with only 2 beers a week for the next few months. I'll rotate through a few different beers I do, mostly hop forward brews as I only have 4 2.5bbl fermenters at the moment. I do plan on increasing capacity if the demand is there. I hope people like the beer and I hope people will give us a shot as I believe we will evolve and continue to grow into something good. This week coming up we have our IPA "Our Daily Bread" on (citra, galaxy, topaz) and an all Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale called "Behold!" The following week we will have an all Amarillo Hoppy Blonde and a single hop Citra Session IPA on. For the future we would like to dive into barrel aging and some wild fermentation when the time is right. Cheers to all my fellow BA's!

20. NuclearRich

NuclearRich Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Very happy for you man, I hope you carve a niche out of this busy market. Glad to have more good beer (I assume, lol, I am looking forward to trying it).

21. CTJman

Beer Trader

you should pop up one day and check it out.

NuclearRich likes this.
  22. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (526) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

This thread makes me happy. Good luck guys!!

CTJman likes this.
  23. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (357) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That Amarillo Blonde and citra session sound breat! What will the ABV be on the Citra sessio

24. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

Citra is 5.5%.

25. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@NuclearRich thanks man, hopefully you can make it some time.

NuclearRich likes this.
  26. CTJman

Beer Trader

Just a heads up - if you were planning to stop by tomorrow keep an eye on the FB page for possible snow cancellation updates.

27. Pahn

Beer Trader

how did today go? weather canceled?

very interested in this new brewery, and i like how you guys are doing it. craft beer is really going in a great direction if more people just make nice, small, local operations pushing out great beer and growing however they can/have to (see NEBCO's growth). hope to make it up and check you guys out in a week or two.

CTJman likes this.
  28. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@Pahn yeah we didn't open. It was a close call but I decided with it only being our second week it would be wise to call if off this time. Next week we will be open Saturday 11am-4pm. We will have one of our IPAs, Our Daily Bread and an all Nelson Pale called Behold! And yes we truly believe in natural growth ie Nebco(whom we r big fans of, Matt even showed up to our opening!!!!.) Hope to meet you sometime soon!

29. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

*call it off.

30. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

I'm sorry I have to correct myself, this upcoming weekend(31st) its going to be a toss up between our daily bread and an all citra IPA. The nelson is definitely going to be on. If the ODB isn't on this coming weekend it will be on the following weekend d. Cheers

sulldaddy and Pahn like this.
  31. ScottieD

ScottieD Devotee (466) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

So only 750 ML, no 64 ounce yet? Just want to make certain.

32. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@ScottieD yes, for now only 750ml. It can be another brewerys bottle too that's fine. I sincerely feel bad about only being able to do 750ml but I only have 20bbl per month right now. The plan is most definitely to increase capacity if the demand is there. Hopefully people will bear with us for awhile. Cheers!

beanoboy7, Beericjb and pjs234 like this.
  33. swierczt

swierczt Zealot (501) Sep 8, 2008 Connecticut

I tried In Robust We Trust at Eli Cannon's Tap Room yesterday afternoon. Really enjoyed it! Will stop in at the brewery soon to try your other beers.

Pahn likes this.
  34. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

35. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Devotee (426) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Fantastic beer this past weekend, especially Geek Nip, but it didn't seem like the separate fill/tasting lines experiment worked.

What are the laws in CT on samples at a brewery? Do they have to be poured right in front of the customer like the growler fills? Because someone walking around with a tray of pre-poured samples (like a shot girl) would be ideal. As it worked out last Saturday, people who got in the much shorter sample line were able to jump the long line for growler fills.

I can't really complain though; it's only week two and you're still experimenting, plus you guys open up early enough for me to stop in before work, and the beer is excellent. Keep on keepin' on, and I can't wait to see what's on draft this weekend!

36. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@Onemoresolo we could have someone walk around but I'd prefer to pour a fresh sample for each person. I guess one of my crew had filled a pitcher and I didn't know about it but the beer got flat over time so folks got flat samples. I'm not a fan of that. Yeah the line experiment was a fail. We will continue to try new things til something works. I think I'm going to implement drop off orders this week where you can fill out a slip and then come back before we close. Once I get my draft system totally figured out I believe it will alleviate a lot of the issues happening right now. Thanks for your input, it means a lot to me to hear what people have to say!!!!

37. Pahn

Beer Trader

drop off orders / take a number, get a sample and chill out = great system. still haven't made it out so i don't know your setup, but i'm always a fan of that.

CTJman and JGLittle like this.
  38. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

@Pahn to be honest we haven't established a good system yet. I think drop offs will help. Maybe try take a number as well. We also don't mind people who want to have bottle shares etc as long as its reasonable. And by reasonable I mean that I get a little taste of whatever it is!

39. ArchietheDragon

ArchietheDragon Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Connecticut

From their facebook page:
    "We are sorry but we had to close due to a major technical difficulty. Hopefully we can re open next week. Sorry!!!!"

Anyone know what happened? CTBeerPope?

40. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

While we have been waiting for our cooler to come in its been a challenge to keep our kegs cold and settled. We took some precautionary measures to be ready for today but as we started to fill we realized we were in bad shape. We will be ready for next week if its the last thing I do. Next week should be a good one with He Died With His Boots On, Our Daily Bread, A Hop And A Dream - Galaxy IPA and A Hop And A Dream - Hoppy Blonde all on tap. We are totally sorry to anyone who this may have affected this week. We feel really bad about it.

Pahn, blckout20, ILOVESTOUTS and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe