Steady Habit Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by CTJman, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (116) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Yes they were "informed". Good way to put it.

AaronF likes this.
  2. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (102) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

What a joke.. is that a rule at package stores too? Because if not, what the hell is the difference?

3. lic217

lic217 Champion (876) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Agree, I can buy up to 2 gallons of beer at a brewery, but can buy 50 handles of vodka at a packag store...

jlordi12 likes this.
  4. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (159) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Packies=old money, breweries=new blood. The legislature lends its ear to the buck!

Edit-Not only packies but more so distributors.

5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (281) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

From FB:

Ok, Friday 2pm-7pm we will be open for regular hours and filling Our Daily Bread IPA, Respek My Trois IPA and Honeymoon IPA. Also, starting at 2pm we will be selling cans on a first come, first serve basis with Coalesce = 4 can limit and Method = 8 can limit. We probably have enough cans for first 60 folks who purchase a full allotment. Cheers!

Wonder what time the line will start? No club perks mentioned.

CTHopman likes this.
  6. CTHopman

1/2 case max combined. Full allotment for 60. No member perks noted. Best start lining up now. SMH

7. Jsanchez1

Jsanchez1 Initiate (56) Nov 25, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

If you're a club member check your email for release info.

Kozaka likes this.
  8. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

Can release @ 2pm on a Friday? Must be nice to not have to work...

I haven't been to Steady Habit in forever since they changed their hours. Ugh. Maybe someday they'll have Sunday hours or open up at 10 again on Saturdays. :slight_frown:

9. xanok

xanok Aspirant (283) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

There are member perks.

10. pbrian

pbrian Defender (681) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I hear ya, but there's a pretty successful brewery in MA that releases cans every Wednesday at noon. It's the new normal for this shit.

11. skleice

Anybody heading down today? I'm not, but very curious as to the turnout....

12. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (298) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

They also sell cans on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. With this release, I'm guessing you essentially have a 2-3 hour window before they're gone.

Onemoresolo likes this.
  13. skleice

I'd guess much quicker. 60 allotments is not much at all. That's why I'm curious. There may be people lining up already. I'd guess that if you're not there an hour early you are SOL, but I'm not sure how big SH's following is.

14. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (616) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Here are the cans:
    [​IMG]

15. skleice

How was the line?

16. Kozaka

Society Trader

This release had time allocated for the growler/release members to swing by early. Was in and out before one so not sure if line formed after.

CTJman likes this.
  17. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

I was there about 10-15 minutes before it opened and was about 30th in line.

18. Kozaka

Society Trader

Just want to say, against SH advice, think these beers are best poured, not straight from the can. Both open up much more. Can seems really raw.

19. skleice

I thought that was weird too. Aromatics are where SH really shines imo.

Kozaka likes this.
  20. CTHopman

Those cans are in pristine condition. Picked mine up at 2:30, had a 45 minute drive home and the look like a cake left out in the rain. Unglued, bubbled, print bleeding and blurring.

21. skleice

They said he labels are temporary....guess that's a good thing.

Kozaka likes this.
  22. CTHopman

What is in the can is very representative. Good stuff.

23. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (85) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut

Pretty disappointed in the cans. I'm getting a serious odd taste in both the method and coalesce. Did they taste this stuff before putting it out? It should have been dumped.

There is a reason why a place like tree house lists what they have on tap the day of. They've dumped bad batches in the past. And this shit is bad. A good portion of the untapped reviews are complaining of the same taste.

24. CTHopman

Keep cold, take out 1 hour, pour, let settle/open for 5 mins. Honestly, it rounds nice. If still too "odd", wait a week or two. Many say the same about TH. Give them a chance, it is Steady's very first can release. I am on UT as well, but as a BA, you should know and evaluate the representative "members" of UT accordingly.

25. BababooeyHTJ

I've had and have been very impressed with SH in the past. Not so much here and the same taste in two different beers is a little damning.

I've been going to tree house pretty regularly for a while and inconsistency is not something that I can fault them for. Unlike grey sail. This shit should have been dumped just like I'm going to have to do. I hope that SH can fix their qc issues with canning. I'll be waiting before going back for cans. Still, should have been taste tested.

26. BababooeyHTJ

Yup, staying quiet on Twitter which seems to be the only way that they communicate with their customers after putting out a bad batch of cans is pretty classy. I'm not sure that I want to support a company that operates like that. We all make mistakes. I've done it on my own jobs in the past and have always made things right. Not seeing any attempt here. Pretty sad.

27. TJV

TJV Initiate (42) Dec 27, 2014 Connecticut

Went to the brewery later today and got some info on the canning quality issue. The problem was in the canning process, not the beer. Not every can was affected, if the whole batch was bad every can would be. They opened a can of Method for me to try, which was great. No off tastes like described in other reviews. Turns out the can seamer was not set right causing gaps in the seam and oxygen to get in. Definitely a bum situation, but I'm sure it will be made right. I bought 12 cans and if any of them are bad I was told to bring the can back for a refund.

Z0827 likes this.
  28. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (116) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

They actually communicate consistently on Facebook. Here's what was posted earlier:

"Hey guys,

As most of you know by now, there has been a problem with many people's cans. First, we would like to apologize to anyone who was affected by this. We spoke with our canner and it was determined that there was an issue with their seamer and that a very small portion of the lid was susceptible to oxygen. We truly are so sorry to anyone who traveled, waited, was excited, believed, etc etc, our intention wasn't to let people down. Anyone affected can contact us through direct message. Cheers"

AaronF and Kozaka like this.
  29. lic217

lic217 Champion (876) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Shit happens...

30. skleice

What were the prices of the 4-packs?

31. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (126) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

$4 a can

32. HOP-E-DAYZ

HOP-E-DAYZ Initiate (100) May 11, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Give him sometime to figure out what went wrong? Canning lines can be very tricky.and SH is not the first brewery to have issues with canning lines.and its first run...I'm sure John @ SH will make it right.
    Cheers

lic217 and CTHopman like this.
  33. CTJman

CTJman Champion (835) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

I believe the mobile canner is still a little green (?) and heard they will be making an announcement about the error and what the steps are to correct. Just msg SH on fb and I'm sure they'll reply back.

34. xanok

xanok Aspirant (283) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

He posted on facebook today that the canner had some issue with sealing which caused some (many) beers to be oxidized.

So far, I've had two Methods and one Coalesce. Two out of three have been bad.

35. Kozaka

Society Trader

So, who's got the dirt?

Per Facebook, Jon is leaving SHBC:grimacing:

Johnct likes this.
  36. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (170) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Damn. Jon IS Steady Habit. Hopefully they tell us more about the future direction of the brewery.

37. Kozaka

Society Trader

So much for the club investment...

Jasonrsmith0519 likes this.
  38. mattbrown15

mattbrown15 Initiate (24) Jul 8, 2015 Connecticut

From the tone of the Facebook post and responses to comments, it certainly seems like it is not an amicable split. I would expect another brewery to bring Jon on. His beer is very tasty...

39. CTHopman

Not trying to disagree but Jon was SH so I am not sure how "amicable" plays in. Is it possible that whoever owns the entire "plaza" (and perhaps Tony's and the grocery store) including the brewery space sold the property? IF so (and that's a big IF), maybe there was some sort of acrimony. Just speculating.

Not sure who will take over as brewmaster or where Jon might be headed. To Counter Weight with Matt? Wishful thinking but you never know.

40. mattbrown15

mattbrown15 Initiate (24) Jul 8, 2015 Connecticut

I agree 100% that Jon = Steady Habit Brewing to most people, including me. Sounds like he is leaving the company rather than the company shutting down operations. There are two other owners besides himself (according to the secretary of state)...sounds like they are going to continue the business, just without him. His comments on Facebook make it seem like this was not an amicable departure...I could be wrong though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.