Stone 15 vs. SSRA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beardown2489, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hey guys,

I am two or so years into the craft beer game. I decided to do a review of stones self righteous ale versus Lagunitas nighttime ale. In my research, I noticed Stone did a black IPA for their 15th anniversary and now noticed that stone sublimely self righteous IPA was their 11th anniversary production.

After some research, I realized the 15th anniversary had some awesome hops that or not included in their 11th anniversary. I am now wondering with the addition of Citra hops, why did Stone not make a improved version of their 11th anniversary and make that their year-round offering. Granted, I have never had the 15th anniversary brew, but after seeing the recipe, I am surprised Stone didn't change their sublimely self righteous ale to the recipe they use for their 15th anniversary.

My question to you is what is better... the 11th anniversary version of stones black IPA, or their 15th anniversary black IPA.

It seems like Lagunitas Nighttime is far better than stones 11th anniversary version of sublimely self righteous IPA. I just drank a bottle of stones sublimely self righteous IPA bottled to be enjoyed by 08/08/14 next to Lagunitas Nightime bottled on 05/14/14, and Lagunitas version blew Stone's out of the water. Not sure when the Stone was bottled, but the Lagunitas black IPA was amazing in comparison.

The stone 15th anniversary recipe seemed like a no doubter, and I'm wondering why Stone wouldn't just bottle their 15th instead of the 11th anniversary ale. I never got to try that beer but from reading the recipe it seems as if it would've been a real winner compared to the 11th anniversary of stones.

Can anyone with experience of these beers give me comparisons of these three beers. I am seriously impressed by Lagunitas Nightime and am curious to see how they compared to the Lagunitas black IPA, Nighitime.

Give me your thoughts

2. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My thoughts? Try Wookey jack :grinning:

3. mctizzz

mctizzz Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Deactivated

Never had 15th but I have a friend who says the 15th was one of the best beers he has had.

4. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

15th Anniversary was awesome. I got a jeroboam of it for $75 dollars early last year and opened it last August. Obviously, it wasn't like an IPA anymore, but it tasted like this incredibly complex brew that was this insane malt flavor to it with just a bit of subtle hops in there to elevate it a bit to seem like an english barleywine or a real old american barleywine. The rye altered that to make it seem like this really delicious roasted stout as well. It was just a really great beer. Not sure how it holds up in bottles, but this was one damn flavorful beer and I would love to have tried a fresh version. I will say, that I haven't had a SSRA in almost a year, but it did not compare at all from what I remember.

5. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

IMO, I don't usually care for the super- citrusy hop character in a black IPA ( or whatever the term is for that style these days) to me, there is a touch of roasty character from the dark malts, I prefer the piney hops like simple and chinook, or the more 'dank' ones in that style.

6. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

When Stone did the 15th, Citra was just becoming popular if I remember it correctly (off the top of my head). The 11th was an extremely popular beer from it's initial relaase, and thus why they made it year round. In fact, I was one clamoring for it, I just absolutely loved the 11th.

Fast forward 4 years later and the 15th is introduced, 2 years after the 11th was turned into SSRA and released year round and proven very successful. Why would they change it at that point? Is the 15th better than SSRA, I guess that depends on who you talk to. I loved both, but I'm happy with the way things shook out with SSRA staying as the year round beer, it's still a damn fine Black IPA and the best one made IMO.....yes better than Wookey Jack.

Regarding Lagunitas' version, I never had it, sorry.

7. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

15th was absolutely awesome. A top ten beer for me.

Stone did a tap takeover about a year ago at Barley's in Greenville, SC so I was lucky enough to try it. I don't know if it was a keg they had cellared or if they brewed up a small batch, but it was great. Really wasn't that hoppy so I'm guessing the former.

Side note: Looking at the 15th beer page, it shows 138 have it checked as "Got" while 3 marked it as "FT"
    OP, you might want to see if you can make a trade for one and see for yourself. I know I would love to get my hands on one if anyone is willing to trade it away. It's been about 3 years, so the hops are long gone by now, but it still might be solid.

8. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Stone 15th anniversary Escondido Imperial Black IPA is still the holy grail of black IPAs for me. Not any other have come close (second is Wookey Jack).
    Most of the black IPAs that are made, in my opinion, need more roasty/chocolate flavors. Many think that if you close your eyes and taste one you should not know that it is black/brown in color.

Stone's 15th anni was the perfect balence of hoppy and roasty with a bit of chocolate flavor. The mouthfeel was full but not thick. The hop aroma and flavor was in your face but very rounded. I have emailed them to re-release it, but no dice. I will make a clone at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.