Release Stone 2018 Release Calendar

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by WesMantooth, Dec 7, 2017.

1. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,412) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

#1 WesMantooth, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,573) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

“Oh, also IPAs. We still really like IPAs.”

The Year Round Beers listed:

· Stone IPA

· Stone Delicious IPA

· Stone Tangerine Express IPA

· Stone Ripper Pale Ale

· Stone Go To IPA

· Stone Ruination Double IPA

Yup, they sure are doubling down (tripling down?) on hoppy beer products.

I suppose the fact that Stone IRS is returning this year as a seasonal (March – June) is some diversification of their beer lineup?

Cheers!

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

Very, very disappointing. No Double Bastard. No Ruinten. No OG. Stone has turned into an IPA Company. Sad.

May be I'm just confused with Arrogant Bastard being a separate brand (Double Bastard would be released under it). Or is it. Sigh.

4. CNoj012

CNoj012 Poo-Bah (1,560) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I won't lie, Ruination 3.0 has piqued my interest.

jakecattleco and Stout_Sabre like this.
  5. redeemer

redeemer Initiate (21) Apr 3, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I'm wondering what the difference between Ruination 2.0 and Ruination 3.0 is going to be. I'm also kinda bummed Enjoy By is only coming out four times next year, since I buy more of that than any other Stone beer these days.

At least there's some version of their IRS coming out next year. Does anyone know what the difference between the standard IRS and their "Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout" is?

Tdizzle likes this.
  6. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (328) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium Member

And, what's up with "Scorpion Bowl IPA"?

TrojanRB likes this.
  7. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California

The email I got said it's based on their classic IRS but they're adding some new and exciting hops.

redeemer likes this.
  8. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California

"Our newest full-time addition to the lineup. In a time of fruit-dominated beers, this one really masters the fruity appeal with absolutely no fruit additions."

9. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (164) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Double Bastard wouldn't be on there, since it is officially a different brand. I'm glad to see IRS, albeit a new version, especially in six packs, which is something I've been waiting for for years. No OG still sucks though.

waltari and Tdizzle like this.
  10. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (175) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Solid release calendar, but it could use some more IPAs. :confused::thinking_face:

11. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (128) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I remember when Stone was easily among my favorite breweries. And while they can still make some great beer, they have become a hollow trendy shell of their former selves. I get it you brew great IPA's and they are whats selling nowadays. But why alienate your true fanbase who helped propel you into what you've become today. We miss your diversity Stone, bring back RIS, Smoked Porter, Old Guardian, SSR, Double Bastard etc. They are sorely missed!

12. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,412) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

And now I am no longer intrigued.

13. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (128) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Oh and if they love brewing IPA's so much, then they should re-visit the collaboration with Ishii, and Baird. That Japanese green tea IPA was phenomenal.

14. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (328) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium Member

Thanks. I believe I can say there will be absolutely no fruit additions to my beer consumption, real, fake, or imaginary.

ericwo and WesMantooth like this.
  15. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (306) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Doubling down on ipas? Is that the way to go? I only tend to buy fresh ipas (which happens to either be local stuff or regionals that push out seasonals). I guess I'm in the minority?

What's the point of having 8 ipas on a shelf when more than half are always at least 6 weeks old? I guess people are buying them? Since I know he celandar, I guess I can try to find the seasonals at their freshest.

Other than an occasional enjoy by, I can't say that I remember my last stone IPA, delicious IPA, go to IPA, or pretty much any other IPA. I did love their espresso IRS which they no longer make. They're going the opposite of diversity and I don't like it.

JohnnyHopps, ESHBG and DISKORD like this.
  16. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (579) Dec 12, 2014 California

Only IPAs except 3 stouts...

Tdizzle likes this.
  17. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (208) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would buy more Stone mixed packs if that damn Delicious IPA wasn't in there. Looks like I'll have a window to during the summer.

msscott1973, Blutz and chrismattlin like this.
  18. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (298) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I agree but honestly almost 100% IPAs with some stouts mixed in is how a good percentage of the craft drinkers consume craft. The consumers drive what breweries do. Craft beer in general is moving in the opposite direction of diversity.

19. Beernut9230

Beernut9230 Initiate (161) Aug 17, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Everyone still hunting fresh ipas.. Just imagine if they were as passionate about doing something more productive

20. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (540) Dec 19, 2006 California

Can't argue with this. I greatly miss the Stone of yore, but they're clearly making business decisions based on what they believe "the market" is demanding. Can't blame them. Of course I would love it if they doubled down on their original core lineup and not a bunch of new IPAs, but I guess I'm in the minority.

breadwinner and ESHBG like this.
  21. emannths

emannths Aspirant (215) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

You're definitely in the minority if you don't buy IPAs over 45 days old. Maybe not among a BA subset, but almost certainly among Stone customers. (fwiw, my personal rule of thumb is that I want to consume IPAs within 60-75 days of packaging)

I find Stone to be pretty good at keeping the beer on the shelf fresh, with the exception of a few stores that seem to be repeat offenders. They certainly beat the pants off of Sierra Nevada, where nothing younger than 60 days seems to hit the shelf.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  22. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (164) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Stouts and IPAs combined make up maybe 1/3 of my consumption, and it amazes me that as much more variety there is in available brands today than when I got into craft ~five years ago, there is less variety in styles. I find myself having to stock up when I'm somewhere with good variety and ignoring my local stores except when I know something is being released. I sorely miss Old Guardian, because barleywines are flat out difficult to come by. And of course Double Bastard, because there really is no other beer quite like it. I think Stone will find that 6 pack IRS will be very successful, and I hope they follow suit with OG and DB next year.

ESHBG likes this.
  23. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (186) Dec 25, 2015 New York

What happened to the Stone rep that use to visit here. It's nice hearing straight from someone in a company.

24. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (690) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I'm glad they're not bothering with past mediocre offerings like the coffee stout and citrusy wit. Overall I would be perfectly fine with this schedule if Old Guardian was on there somewhere.

That being said, Stone has definitely lost it's way with me a bit. I no longer get excited for their new offerings like I would in the "old" days.

Tdizzle likes this.
  25. waltari

waltari Initiate (137) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

w00tstout in 6-pack! Cannot wait.

26. Stout_Sabre

Stout_Sabre Aspirant (239) Jan 17, 2015 New York

Really just interested in Ruination 3.0, the return of RIS and Xocoveza. If they ever ax Xocoveza I might cry. Almost did hearing Founders isn't doing their imperial stout this year. Also..wootstout, keep making that please

HorseheadsHophead and Harrison8 like this.
  27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,503) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

Here I was thinking maybe, just maybe, some major regional brewery was brave enough to brew with scorpion peppers and distribute it.

WesMantooth likes this.
  28. Harrison8

People like what they know, and IPA and Stouts are two popular terms in the beer world. It's easy for the average consumer to say "I want an IPA" at the bar, and get something good. Since these styles are requested so often, they are well stocked by business savvy breweries and bars. After all, why fill a line with a barleywine or two if you could move 2 or 3 times that if you filled it up with a couple popular IPAs.

Consumers driving the market place is good and bad, unfortunately, some don't see beer as the diversity that is, and rather as just beer. Unfortunately, I think it's going to get worse before it gets better, especially if interest in craft beer starts to wane and breweries have to rely more heavily on bang for their buck batches.

Personal note, I'd like to see more barleywines as well. It's a style that is truly a treat to sip on in the fall and winter months. My most prized bottles downstairs aren't limited stouts or quads, but the few barleywines I've saved for a later date.

ESHBG and TongoRad like this.
  29. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,380) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

As to the diversity issue, it's looking more and more to me that the percentage of the more 'enthusiast' type beer drinker out of the overall total is remaining constant. It may seem like there are more of us due to the huge amount of 'craft' beer being sold, but the truth is that the majority are still crossover drinkers who just aren't into it the same way.

So, yeah, it's a double edged sword when it comes to certain brewers streamlining their lineups, but I bet you will see smaller brewers picking up the slack.

30. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,369) Sep 15, 2014 New York

No Coffee Milk Stout or Americano Stout? :cry:
    I loved Americano! I also wish they would bring back Citrusy Wit! I absolutely loved that beer. :weary:

mmorris15 likes this.
  31. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,171) Jul 27, 2013 California

Seems like less releases? In 2017 they had Punk in Drublic and Vengeful Spirit....I enjoyed both.

VABA and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  32. Harrison8

Agreed. Regional breweries are fighting with local breweries for sales more and more. It just makes sense, business wise, to try and produce styles that won't sit on shelves until the next release. (Un)fortunately, that seems to be done by producing more and more IPAs, at least in the case of Stone.

Fortunately, there are still plenty of good, local breweries around here producing a wide variety of beer styles.

TongoRad likes this.
  33. BeerCosby

BeerCosby Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Not liking Arrogant being separate from Stone for branding, since now it's more of just wait and see with fingers crossed that Double Bastard comes back and hopefully another Bastard Box.

As far as the actual release schedule; good to see Tangerine Express is 6 packs, Ruination 3.0 has my interest, hop worship sounds interesting, and I see myself getting multiple 12 packs with the Ripper and Tangerine Express (though Ghost Hammer would be great in those packs as well).

Blutz likes this.
  34. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

At least go to is still in 16 oz cans. I pay $8.99 a six and it's always fresh when I see it. It's a buy 3-4 times a year for me as well as AB in 16 oz cans as well for $9.99

Other than that Stone is not on my radar. Too expensive and nothing that great.

Enjoy

35. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

That wit was good.

Enjoy

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  36. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (175) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Imperial Russian Stout is the best decision/thing on this calendar. Especially in 6-pack format.

37. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (270) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Stone was never one of my favorites but I appreciated their product. I'm quickly growing tired of IPAs and like some others have said there are more beers nowadays but less diversity, oddly enough.

I have mixed feelings about this being what consumers want too and the trend may be winding down, I see lots of well regarded IPAs collecting dust.

breadwinner likes this.
  38. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (319) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

Stone's new IPA's were hit and miss last year.

Ghost was meh
    Vengeful Spirit was really good

Give me Unfiltered Enjoy By any day of the week. One of my favorite IPA's to this day.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

But ironically the beer style that is most sensitive to age are IPAs. Considering the number of IPA brands on shelves this competition leads to plenty of old IPAs on my local beer store shelves.

Cheers!

StartedwithSAM, ESHBG and Harrison8 like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

I can anecdotally report there are plenty of non-IPA beers available from my local breweries - both for on premise and off premise consumption.

Cheers!