Stone 20th Anniversary IPA Collection

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillind

hillind Aspirant (268) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

22.99 in Northeast PA at Wegmans

2. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,143) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Damnit still no Jersey?

3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Had all 4 on tap this afternoon. All were good to great and $20+ is well worth this if you see it I think.

CrescentMoon83 likes this.
  4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,502) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Socal or Norcal?

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (210) Jun 13, 2006 California

Carlsbad/North SD.

jakecattleco likes this.
  6. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,502) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Thanks Chaz, kinda what I figured. Any Norcal Costco sightings?

7. HoosierInOhio

HoosierInOhio Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2011 Ohio

Is this only available at Costco or something? Haven't seen this in SoCal yet. I check TW, Bevmo, and even El Cerrito hasn't had it yet? What gives Stone?

8. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (792) Sep 15, 2010 Connecticut
    Society Trader

$18 is my cost in Milwaukee so you sconies can judge the price off that. Case one they're priced at $8 a piece so $32 is not a good deal...

9. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (156) Jan 8, 2015 California

This is a cool collection and great art work on the box. It's a trip down IPA history lane. Not for the faint of palette!

10. timedwards3113

timedwards3113 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Which Wegmans?

11. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

The pack was $24.99 here in Ohio (which I thought was a great deal!). The 15th Imperial Black IPA is still a badass brew! One of my all-time favorites!!

12. hillind

hillind Aspirant (268) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Dickson City

13. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,998) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Never seen that box set here in GJ, but the Citracado is pretty tasty. Just like last year with the AB stuff, no boxes, just singles.

Cheers!

14. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,252) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

@StoneBrewingCo

How limited are these packs? Have any hit New England or New York yet? Big box stores only?

15. DrunkMcGruff

DrunkMcGruff Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2013 Michigan

Depending on where in West Michigan, $34-$40 is the going rate.
    That's not how the three tier system works. If the West MI distributors sell it to stores for $X, said store can sell it at or above $X cost, but no lower. Keystone bottle shop % markup (NOT MARGIN) is about 30%. I've seen stores do 20%, I've seen 40%, but generally independent retail bottle shops work on a 25-30% markup. Specifically in West Michigan, the major Stone distributor is selling these at roughly $75/cs (ballpark because I don't have an invoice right in front of me). A case of these is three-4pk bombers, making cost $25/4pk, adding on 30% markup, that's about $36/4pk. Retail has no control over what the distributors charge.

Having said that, I find it extremely hard to believe that any distributor is selling these so cheap that some of you are finding them for less than $20/4pk. I feel like unless it's at a Costco or some other wholesaler, these are being mis-marked or West MI's distributor is just gouging the hell out of it's customers, because I know for a fact that a 30% markup on the cost from my distributor puts the 4pks at somewhere around $34-38. That's why I didn't buy one either. If you break it down it's still a "good" deal, but stores aren't taking these apart and selling them individually. If I already have had two of the four beers inside, I have no incentive to buy a $35 4pk of bombers.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

Distributors item # redacted so I don't get myself or my sales rep in trouble.

#55 DrunkMcGruff, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  16. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (141) Feb 25, 2013 California

They are $15.99 at Total Wine in Elk Grove and I believe every Total Wine (so it says on the main web site). I get coupons from them all the time which brought my cost to $14.99. I first bought 4 then a few days ago took the last 2 they had. I'll probably check them again in a week. Regarding the price discrepancies all I can think is that some retailers are doing the math and figuring they can charge more. Davis Beer Shop has it for around $30 and I'm sure they are getting them from the same source (as the shops are close and they came out at the same time) - either distro or direct from Stone. If I could buy these forever at $15 I would.

Perhaps western retailers are getting them from Stone where they are super cheap while others (further east) are getting them from distro and paying a lot more. Per DrunkMcGruff they are $26.13 from distro so there's something different going on for different retailers. I'm getting them at almost half that at retail.

Total Wine is a lot like BevMo though the two I've been to are bigger than about any BevMo I've been to. They sell wine beer and spirits.

17. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Crusader (796) Oct 9, 2012 Florida

The Sarasota-area inventory list I get every day from the local Stone distributor now lists this 4-pk as in stock, so it has arrived to Florida. My next order day is Thursday, so on Friday I can update here with cost etc. Now, if we could only get Go To cans back in stock!!

18. DrunkMcGruff

damn, I wonder if I can speak to a Stone representative about distributor price gouging. I get it if Stone is distributing these themselves in California, that would knock the price down drastically, but if Total Wine and BevMo are selling them for $15/4pk, that means they are getting the at the very cheapest for like $30/cs of 3/4pks, and that's 10% markup on a $13.50 cost. We're getting shafted out east. Even with shipping across the country, that shouldn't add $40 to a case considering other stone shelfie stuff is evenly priced across the country.

For reference, what are the re-release 2016 UnApologetic bomber's going for in Cali? Michigan they are roughly $9.99 a bomber at 30/31% markup.

19. StoneBrewing

StoneBrewing Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 California

They are pretty limited and mostly at Costco, BevMo & Total Wine's.

I am sending this information through, but if anyone who has comments about the pricing in their area could send that info at the bottom of this page we can get a much better idea of what's going on!

Cheers,
    Jamie

DrunkMcGruff and MasterTea like this.
  20. MasterTea

MasterTea Initiate (0) May 2, 2016 California

Unapologetic 22 oz bottles are roughly $8 in my area & I'm located in SoCal.

DrunkMcGruff likes this.
  21. DrunkMcGruff

So it sounds as if we're getting the shaft in michigan on these 4pks then

22. mmorris15

mmorris15 Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2015 Maine

Picked one up in Maine for around ~$22.

VABA likes this.
  23. HoosierInOhio

Finally just went to Costco in Rancho Cucamonga, bought 2 boxes, $19.99. Still have yet to see these at any Bevmo or Total Wine. Guessing Costco is the best bet. I wish I would have know this was practically a Costco only deal, would have saved me a bunch of time searching. This was the release I targeted since I learned of it earlier this year.

CrescentMoon83 likes this.
  24. MasterTea

MasterTea Initiate (0) May 2, 2016 California

Total Wine in Rancho didn't have it? The website said it did..

25. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (332) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

any sightings in western Massachusetts yet?

26. HoosierInOhio

I went there before Costco, they didn't have it, told me maybe after the next truck comes. Stone on FB told me it is mostly Costco with "select" TW and Bevmo's

27. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (210) Jun 13, 2006 California

BevMo in Oceanside has these, 24.99 so $5 more than Costco.

28. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,143) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

29. neckbeardahab

neckbeardahab Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 New York

30. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

I'm surprised as well. If Stone only performed a single run of the Anniversary IPA Mix Pack and it is scheduled to hit distributors in NJ, then the beers will all be at the end of their shelf life (90 days is their window of freshness).

If it does hit the NJ market, I hope that Stone did another run of each beer. As of late, I have only seen 20th Anniversary bottles on the shelves with a B.O.D. date of 07/30/2016.

31. Reck

Reck Initiate (18) Apr 22, 2008 New Jersey

It hit NJ this week:

http://www.hunterdonbrewing.com/weekly-spotlight/stone-brewing-xocoveza-and-so-much-more/

I know a few stores in South Jersey that got it, but I haven't been able to pick it up yet (hopefully, later today - been waiting for this one). There are bottle dates mentioned above of 8/28 and 8/29 (first post on page 2 of this thread). I would assume the 20th anniversary beer in the pack is from a later bottle run than the 7/30 one you refer to. Good luck, hope you find it soon.

32. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,891) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ive seen the individual bottles of all four recently i guess someone broke up the box and charged $9 a piece.

33. Urk1127

Society Trader

How far south? I know hunterdon doesnt get to Atlantic county, salem or cape may. But im talking southern ocean.

34. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Has anyone seen this in northern VA? I've called Costco and Total Wine, neither have it.

35. HermitDan

HermitDan Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2016 New Jersey

Our store in Morris County just got 4 or 5 of them

36. mt817

mt817 Initiate (39) Mar 31, 2015 Michigan

$19.99 a box at a gas station in Rochester, MI. 3 left after I bought one.

37. Reck

Reck Initiate (18) Apr 22, 2008 New Jersey

Hunterdon gets to the whole state, I believe, and definitely atlantic county. I know places in camden county that have received it (Cooks in Westmont, Wegman's Cherry Hill, Joe Canal's West Deptford), but not sure about Ocean County. I picked it up at Canal's Berlin yesterday for $23. It was the only one on the shelf, but they probably had more. Bottle dates are all late august.

38. Urk1127

Society Trader

Oh ok i might be confused with Shore Points. i saw a distro map recently it was one of the two. Ill be on the look out.

39. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

Beer pricing across the industry is crazy, my guess is that in states that allow quantity discounts (like California), there's probably a pallet QD that Total Wine/Costco/Bevmo are buying significantly cheaper than the case one price available to anybody else. Keep in mind it's illegal in most states to have a package which is limited to one retailer, it isn't a tough law to get around but that's probably why it's hitting other accounts like random gas stations in Michigan. It isn't all that unusual to see 20% or 30% discount on a big enough quantity discount, depending on the package.

40. CrescentMoon83

CrescentMoon83 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2016 California

Found these 4 packs at a Costco too. Looks like a very limited edition set, saw only a few left on a pallet and grabbed 2. A label on the top of the box says 'ENJOY BY November 23, 2016'. Costco receipt number listed as #1104491 Stone 4PK $19.99.
    [​IMG]

deford likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.