Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Stone/Abnormal/Paul Bischeri & Patrick Martinez - Neopolitan Dynamite

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 12, 2017.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

An Imperial Stout Scooped from the Freezer into your Glass

San Diego may be best known for its hop-forward IPAs, but this county has a long and proud history of stouts, porters and the dark arts. Case in point, the winners of this year’s American Homebrewers Association-sanctioned Stone Homebrew Competition: Paul Bischeri & Patrick Martinez and their champion creation, Neapolitan Dynamite. For our additional collaborator, we enlisted noted Stout Master Derek Gallanosa from Abnormal Beer Company to bring this ice cream sundae of a beer to life in full scale. The result is a rich, decadent beer, with the sweetness of the strawberry and vanilla balanced out by dark chocolate and coffee. Available in bottle and on draft, but not on a waffle cone, unfortunately.

STYLE: Imperial Stout
    ABV: 8.5%
    SPECIAL INGREDIENTS: Vanilla & Fresh Strawberries
    RELEASE DATE: September 11, 2017
    PACKAGE TYPES: 22oz bottles, Draft
    AVAILABILITY: Nationwide
    WHEN TO ENJOY: Drink fresh or age at cellar temperature

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/st...rtinez-abnormal-beer-company-stone-neapolitan

JFresh21 likes this.
  2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (437) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

The recent proliferation of "ice cream beers" kinda scares me.

3. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

This just hit in Ohio and I'm keeping my eyes open.

4. Minnesota_beer_guy

Minnesota_beer_guy Aspirant (263) Feb 15, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Had this last night on draft at Stone. Walking in, I fully intended to buy a few bottles but after trying it, I passed. I didn't get any strawberry or vanilla, just a lot of dark chocolate and a little coffee. Blind taste test, I would swear that this was just a chocolate imperial stout. The chocolate was overpowering and made the beer very heavy, so I was glad to try a couple taster pours but there's no way I could finish a bottle of this.

5. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,385) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

This is one case in which I might check the reviews before deciding whether to purchase. If the consensus is that the strawberry and vanilla flavors are too subtle (or nonexistent), I don't think I'd chance it.

6. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (355) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I grabbed one of these yesterday and opened it in the the evening. I thought it was a little bit of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong it's a good beer, but I just don't think that it lives up to what it is supposed to be. The taste is absolutely dominated by coffee with a bit of chocolate. I picked up only a slight hint of vanilla but there was zero strawberry, that I could detect at least. I let it warm up over the course of the evening (~3 hours) as I slowly drink that whole bomber and at no point did I really get a "neapolitan" flavor or each of those flavors individually. I thought it was good, but I absolutely love coffee and coffee stouts. If you're looking for that neapolitan flavor profile I'd most definitely look elsewhere.

7. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (254) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'd like to know how it compares to Saugatuck Neapolitan. That one definitely tastes like Neapolitan, although I'm not much a fan of sweet flavored stouts (they almost always taste a bit artificial to me). I know this is a bit higher ABV, and I'd expect a little more malt flavor from Stone rather than the essentially all-additive flavor of Saugatuck.

8. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (355) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Saugatuck Neapolitan is much better in regards to hitting that flavor profile in my opinion. Like I said, the Neapolitan Dynamite isn't bad, but it just doesn't hit the flavors they were trying to achieve. It's still worth trying if you find it for a decent price.

9. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Devotee (483) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia
    Supporter Subscriber

Tried this a couple of weeks ago at Lost Dog Café (still on tap). I think it follows closely enough to how it's described so they achieved what they wanted in a Neapolitan Ice Cream tasting stout. Just not my jam, I like it roasty and viscous with just enough bitterness.

[​IMG]

10. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Devotee (483) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia
    Supporter Subscriber

On draft the strawberry is very subtle with a clean palate, I paired it with a seasoned or mildly spicy hummus that brought it forward for me. Cheers.

#10 StartedwithSAM, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    VABA and SoCal_Matt like this.
  11. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (590) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Having tried Saugatuck's Neapolitan and very much disliking it (mmm... artificial strawberry flavoring) I can't help but wonder why anyone would want their beer to taste like Neapolitan ice cream. Why not just have a bowl of ice cream? And before anyone asks, sheer morbid curiosity was what drove me to try the Saugatuck.

eldoctorador and StartedwithSAM like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.