Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Berlin Groundbreaking Collaborations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by riko, Mar 31, 2017.

1. riko

riko Aspirant (208) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

So I bought a few of these collaborations back when they did the indiegogo campaign in 2014 and got an email this week that one is available for pickup.

When I made the purchase, it was billed as a Lost Abbey collaboration that would be brewed by Stone, Tomme Arthur and a "brewer from a famous, long-standing Belgian brewery." I was hoping for a sour or maybe a Belgian quad.

Then the email that came this week says the beer -- Sticks N' Stones -- was brewed by Tomme Arthur, Steve Wagner and Lee Chase. I have nothing but respect for Lee Chase, but this isn't what I expected or hoped for.

Then there's the beer itself. The email didn't say what style it is, just that it was aged on oak chips (the sticks) and granite (the stones). I go to the Stone website and there are two descriptions of the beer inches apart, and they're different. One says dark imperial lager with German yeast, and the other says black Belgian style double IPA. Which is it? And if they built a brewery in Germany so they could serve fresh IPAs to Europe, why brew an IPA there and ship it back to America? Nevermind the wtf of aging a beer on granite.

I emailed Stone about this and got an automated response saying I'd get a reply within 24 hours. That was a couple days ago and I haven't received a reply.

Anyone else know anything about this? Or try it?

Also, I see that another one of these "groundbreaking collaborations" was already released. Any feedback on how it turned out?

2. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (137) Mar 6, 2014 California

this release sounded Very unappealing after I had read the email & simply tossed. More for other I suppose. Don't get me wrong, some not all, collabs they do are great whereas others are duds.

3. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (355) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I have had several beers where stones have been used in the process, but never for aging. That just sounds like a nightmare considering the measures most brewers take with water treatment. It sounds like aging a beer on stones would simply add back previously unwanted minerals. Who knows, though?

As far as the first collaboration release, it was a solid beer, but the format was absurd and it was severely overpriced. I would rather grab literally any stout off the shelf and throw some toasted coconut in it.

Beer_Economicus and riko like this.
  4. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (154) Jul 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'll be picking up my bottle on Sunday and will grab my "free" taster so I'll let you know how it is.

I will also say that the main if not only reason I grabbed this bottle for the exact same reason figuring that the "brewer from a famous, long-standing Belgian brewery" would be Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen given Tomme's relationship

Beer_Economicus, swolepeer and riko like this.
  5. riko

Beer Trader

Yeah, it does feel like a bait and switch.

6. dksl16

dksl16 Initiate (183) Sep 12, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Agreed. Just rewatched the video of Greg and Tomme discussing the collaboration and it's very misleading.

riko likes this.
  7. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (185) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I don't know much about this beer, but I know that Stone has always been extensively responsive with all of my inquiries within a week's span. Godspeed!

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  8. riko

Beer Trader

Did you get a taster? Did they clarify what style of beer it is?

9. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (7,227) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

"Stone’s European beers don’t adhere to stringent flavor thresholds. 'With Berlin, we’re not as concerned,' says president Steve Wagner." (-BeerAdvocate, 2016.)

10. Fltingrabbit

Fltingrabbit Initiate (119) Dec 27, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I think the belgian style double ipa is the collaboration with Brewdog

11. SuperWhip

Beer Trader

Drinking it I couldn't make up what style it was even trying to be. When I looked on my bottle later to see Dark Imperial Pilsner, I shook my head in disgust.

Overall it reminded me of a thinner bodied Arrogant Bastard, so glad I have 1.5L of it to drink. Even if I open this at a large tasting I doubt it will be even half emptied, by far the worst $30 I've ever spent on a beer and I'm a long time Bruery Society Memeber.

riko and lanedlr like this.
  12. SuperWhip

Beer Trader

Funnily enough that's exactly what I told my wife it should be called as we walked through the garden with the taster

riko likes this.
  13. lanedlr

lanedlr Devotee (421) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This is extremely disheartening. I hope collabs with Alesmith, Bruery etc. better represent what those breweries are capable of. An imperial pilsner that tastes like Arrogant Bastard lite???

14. riko

Beer Trader

I wonder if they will offer refunds for people who don't want this, though I'm sure there was some "subject to change" language in the kickstarter.

Meanwhile, I still haven't gotten a reply from them on the email I sent last week.

15. lanedlr

Subscriber Beer Trader

The Lost Abbey collaboration tastes good to me. A dark imperial pilsner with a woody/flinty taste just as described. Good stuff.

16. riko

Beer Trader

It took a couple of emails and about 10 days but I finally got a reply from Stone. They are offering refunds for this. Two of my friends who bought it and I are going for the refunds.

Roguer and Beer_Economicus like this.
  17. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Aspirant (259) Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not at all excited about any of these but I spent that money so long ago I as well have no interest in my measly $30 dollars. I'll just pick it up and if I don't like it I'll just cap it and walk around the streets of Vegas with it next week. Haven't been excited really about anything Stone is doing.

cavedave likes this.
  18. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (502) Dec 12, 2014 California

Dark Imperial Pilsner :rolling_eyes:

drmeto and oldbean like this.
  19. riko

Beer Trader

I don't care that much about the $30. It's also that I live in San Diego and Escondido is a haul for something I don't think I'd drink more than a couple ounces of. But mainly it's that they did a bait and switch with the whole brewer from a famous Belgian brewery thing.

20. lanedlr

Subscriber Beer Trader

Lee Chase is not Belgian? Was thinking he was but just looked him up and appears he is associated with Stone? If that is true and no Belgian brewer was involved then yeah that video is misleading with all the talk about Belgian brewers and yeast driven beers. The beer still tastes fine but man, bait and switch for sure.

21. riko

Beer Trader

Lee Chase is a great brewer who started with Stone and now owns Blind Lady, Panama 66 and Tiger! Tiger! Super nice guy. I have nothing but respect for him. But he's not a brewer from a famous and well-established Belgian brewery.

lanedlr likes this.
  22. Scottie_A25

Scottie_A25 Aspirant (254) Nov 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone know what's going on with the Stone / Bruery collaboration? It was brewed in January but still has not gotten a release date.

23. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (188) Dec 6, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

They've been recalled for not being up to Stone's standards.

EDIT: I mean the entire series, IIRC.

24. lanedlr

Subscriber Beer Trader

Definitely not the entire series as I am picking up Magik Wootstout and Super Arrogant this Saturday in Escondido.

The Bruery collab had an initial release date in July but that was pulled from the site before July. Perhaps just the Bruery collab was not up to standard?

25. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (188) Dec 6, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

That could be it. I'd have to go back and find the press release I read yesterday.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  26. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (106) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio

I am living in Ohio also and not enjoying the distribution in my 25 mile radius. Only rarely a beer I love comes in less than 3+ weeks old (hoppy beers, obviously,) do you fight this as well? Even big, close breweries like Fat Heads and GLBC don't distribute fresh on a regular basis. Sorry for the rant, this is my inaugural post on here but I have lurked for a long time. Thanks to all of you in here for adding enlightenment as well as humor (and some bizarre shit as well). I've enjoyed the read!

cavedave likes this.
  27. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (185) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I’ve previously worked as a beer and wine buyer, and Fat Heads would arrive about a week (or less) from bottling. I’m also about 15 miles away from them. You’re right that Stone arrives at the earliest 2 weeks from packaging (if you’re lucky).
    I work in the GLBC brewery now, and it’s tricky because we date our bottles “best by” and not “bottled on”. Assume hoppy ales are labeled best-by about 70 days out from packaging, usually.

And I don’t want to “fight” Stone because distribution isn’t possible to get perfect all the time. There always will be delays. There will always be warehouses sitting with beer wasting away. There are so many variables, especially with the enormous distro Stone has. I still enjoy their beers, but I won’t be upset that they can’t be ultra-hyper-Uber freshies (other than maybe Enjoy By). It’s just the nature of wide distribution.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  28. lanedlr

Subscriber Beer Trader

I like the conversation about freshness but this thread is dedicated specifically to the the Groundbreaking Collaboration beers Stone Berlin is brewing. I'm sure there are other threads more relavent to the freshness conversation. Cheers!

29. BeerseAnyone

Sorry

30. BeerseAnyone

Thank you for the reply.

mambossa likes this.
  31. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (437) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Because threads on BA never get even a little off-topic?

Come on, man.

32. Fltingrabbit

Fltingrabbit Initiate (119) Dec 27, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I think it is only the champion of the sun which is recalled. You can trade it (even empty) for two 750 cl bottle of other collaborations.

33. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (624) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

Dark Imperial Pilsner? Surely that's a Doppelbock?

herrburgess likes this.
  34. SuperWhip

Beer Trader

There was nothing Doppelbock about it

35. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,953) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Funny, because BA has it listed in the German Pilsener category. Based on the description, it doesn't sound anything at all like a Pils either. :grin:

herrburgess likes this.
  36. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I haven't had this beer, but it seems like they should just unapologetically put it in the "euro strong lager" box.

steveh likes this.
  37. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

38. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (233) Dec 14, 2016 California

When I went to pick up my bottle of the Maui/Stone collab I got a free beer...but not my beer. They didnt have it available (even though one of Greg's videos DID say that they would), so they gave me a full pour of any beer on the menu.

Im still waiting for the collab's with: Alesmith, Bruery and Evil Twin

#38 BeanBump, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  39. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,009) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm fairly certain I lost the pass/ticket they mailed me...anyone know if we can get the info electronically or some other method?

40. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (392) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yes, they send an email when your beer is released with a customer ID and mention bringing that and a valid ID if you lost your pass.

TrojanRB likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.