Stone Brewing Enjoy By Brut IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jageraholic, Nov 29, 2018.

1. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (322) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've haven't had the style yet, but reading the specs on this one, I'm not sure it even is the style or how its different then the regular enjoy by other than "This variant of our Enjoy By IPA series features innovative brewing techniques that give it a bright effervescence and a super-dry finish." Says its 90 IBUs still which I thought goes against the Brut IPA characteristics. Anyone try this or anyone from Stone willing to shed more info?

https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-enjoy-ipa-series/stone-enjoy-010119-brüt-ipa

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,710) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I do not have specific details on exactly what the Stone brewers are doing but the concept for brewing Brut IPAs is that you add an enzyme (amylase enzyme) while brewing to eliminate the vast majority of sugars. This results in a beer that is super dry.

For the interested reader: http://www.thebeerscholar.com/beer-...cisco-is-it-the-next-big-thing-how-to-make-it

Cheers!

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,880) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I may actually pick up this one. I've been enjoying a few brut IPAs lately, including one last night at a local brewery. It was their first go at the style and I think they did well.

HorseheadsHophead, elohim and tzieser like this.
  4. jageraholic

Trader

Right, i've read up on it in craft beer and brewing. But that super dry finish is from a really low final gravity. Usually if you pair that with high IBUs you'll get some really bitter beer, so most brewers of the style go fairly low IBUs like a saison.

5. JackHorzempa

Premium

What was the bitterness level of that beer?

Cheers!

6. JackHorzempa

Premium

I am uncertain how to respond to "usually". The originator of the Brut IPA 'style' chose to solely add hops at the end of boil and dry hopping so that beer had lower bitterness but I have not had enough Brut IPAs to know if the other brewers are doing the same.

Take note of the question I posed in post #5 above.

Cheers!

P.S. There are no style guidelines for the Brut IPA 'style' so there is no definition for brewers to follow.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  7. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Bitterness was low. Big tropical fruit in the aroma, with a smaller showing of tropical fruit in the flavor profile, cut by a very dry finish. The finish was the most bitter, and seemed to be driven more by exposed malts vs. bitter hops.

I also asked them how they brewed it (I've been curious what makes a 'brut' IPA different from a standard American IPA). He said they used an enormous amount of galaxy hops late in the brewing process (I'm still learning about the brewing process) to dry it out, and then added a little pineapple puree to bring back some of the sweetness.

frozyn and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Premium

There was no mention of an enzyme (amylase enzyme) used?

Cheers!

9. Harrison8

Premium Trader

He mentioned one in passing, but admittedly, it went over my head. It could very well be amylase. He emphasized the large galaxy dry hopping throughout the conversation though.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Premium

Yeah, that is where the bulk of the aroma/flavor of the beer is coming from. Plus that is a large cost factor for a smaller production brewery.

Cheers!

Harrison8 likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Premium

Maybe @StoneBrewing will join in this thread discussion?

Cheers!

12. jageraholic

Trader

There is a style description here on BA though:
    American Brut IPA
    One of the newest styles to excite brewers and drinkers alike, Brut IPA first appeared in California in late 2017 and is notable for its effervescence and extreme dryness. Pale straw to pale gold, this style is intended to be lighter in color and body than a typical American IPA. For that reason, the mash is often some combination of Pilsner malt, wheat, corn, and/or rice. The addition of an amylase enzyme reduces the final gravity even further. Bitterness is also kept to a minimum. Fruit-forward flavors and aromas are achieved by late hopping, dry hopping, and the use of neutral ale yeast strains. In short, these beers are highly attenuated, late hopped IPAs inspired by the appearance and mouthfeel of Champagne.

13. jageraholic

Trader

I'm looking forward to trying it anyway. I've never had a Brut IPA, but I enjoy the stone enjoy by series anyway which I think this will be more leaning towards.

14. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I'm in for one if I come across it.

15. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (212) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Another Stone release, another IPA.

Alefflicted and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Premium

I am unsure if brewers ‘follow’ what is listed on Beer Advocate but perhaps this is a harbinger this ‘style’ will appear in the Brewers Association 2019 Beer Style Guidelines?

If so, it will be interesting to see what the Brewers Association Style Guideline lists for bitterness.

Cheers!

17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,385) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I've had a Homebrewed version and 2 commercial versions of Brut IPA. A Homebrewed version of my own is in the plans.

It is a very drinkable style. This Stone version would be super bitter on paper. I might see if my local multitap has it. They percieved bitterness might be fine with the fruity dry hops.

The Alpha and Beta Amylase enzymes that are present in malt break 1-4 bonds in the sugar and starch molecules, do no break the 1-6 bonds. The enzyme used for Brut IPAs is amyloglucosidase, which breaks the 1-6 bonds and creates fermentable sugars. This product is popular with distillers that can use it to maximize the sugar, even in unmalted grains. Using this enzyme Brut IPAs can get down to a final gravity of 1.000 or 0.998.

This is one of the products used in Brut IPA. https://www.whitelabs.com/ultraferm

18. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (324) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I was excited to try this as I’ve never had a brut IPA. I saw it on the shelf just a little while ago and was about to pick it up until I saw that its 9.4%, wtf!!! Why is this a normal thing now? I don’t want to drink beers that get me smashed and make me pass out, that’s not fun.

RobNewton likes this.
  19. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Just gave a local shop a call and they said they have it now. I'll be picking it up tonight and reviewing it as early as tonight.

Very curious on this one, as I've very much enjoyed most of the brut IPAs I've had so far.

EvenMoreJesus and ichorNet like this.
  20. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Knowing Stone off the charts bitterness is probably what they were going for. :wink: This is out in my area but I didn't pick it up, if I can get a single or see it on tap I would try it. I had the opportunity to try New Belgium's Brut IPA and I enjoyed it and open to trying more of this style.

21. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Acquired, but first, a local brut IPA on tap at the shop nextdoor.

The 6 pack should be nice and chilled in the car.

ESHBG likes this.
  22. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Curious to hear what you think of it.

Harrison8 likes this.
  23. Harrison8

Premium Trader

I got a message from a local shop saying I had a 10% off code for one 6 pack. I knew what I had to do, and made a call today to find out they had this release in stock. It was stored in the store's chilled beer cave, and then stored in my cold car and fridge while I worked through this photo, netting an appropriate pour temperature. Here are my thoughts on Stone's nationally distributed go at the 'Brut IPA' style.

[​IMG]

Stone's Enjoy By 01.01.19 Brut IPA.

Pours a translucent copper-yellow with a finger of white foam after an extremely passive pour. Head retention is great, layering the beer in foam for a long while. Aroma is tangerine, papaya, orange and lemon zest, and guava before a dry cut slashes the tropical fruits to null. In the wake of the violence on tropical fruits, a brief display of nutty, earthy, bready malts are present. It smells short and staccato, not lingering on the senses long, but still presenting a dynamic display of notes. Flavor profile is rich notes of tropical fruits - papaya, mango, tangerine, peach, and orange zest - and more bitter hop notes of pine, resin, and dank (evergreen). Dryness is expected here, but the tropical fruits and 'evergreen' notes continue to linger on the tongue long after a sip. There is a lighthearted dryness cutting underneath, but doing nothing to substantially cut the notes down in a dry fashion. Biscuity, bready, earthy malts form a little substance beyond the hops. There is a touch of hoppy, alcohol burn at the back end, making it apparent the beer is 9.4% ABV. Mouth feel is lightly crisp, but carries a medium-thickness, which when combined with a velvety texture, smothers out the crispness. It's still a pleasure to sip upon, but not in the context of the brut IPA style guidelines. Overall, labeled a brut IPA, this drinks more like a 'midwest' IPA, i.e. a blend of typical Northeast, juicy hoppy notes with West coast bitter, biting hops. Aside from the aroma, it doesn't come off as dry, and is a little too thick and velvety to really nail down the style there. While still a good beer, it doesn't meet style guidelines of a brut IPA. All that aside, it makes for a very enjoyable IPA, provided you consume fresh *wink*

Score: 4.25 | 4.25 | 3.75 | 3.75 | 4 | BA Score: 4 | rDev: -4.1%

Personal notes:
    At the time of review, there are 9 other ratings in total, 2 of which are reviews. It amounted to a total score of 4.18, with the histogram showing 7 of those scores between 3.75-4, and 2 between 4.5 and 4.75. My review lands this beer 1 more reviewing in the "4" column of the histogram. I am perhaps being a bit harsh, but I really enjoy the Enjoy By series, but expect them to meet the style guidelines and expectations labeled. This drinks well, and I will gladly keep the other 5 in my fridge for video game nights. Hell, one of them may end up in my glass for a 'redo' review this or next NBS. But as a brut IPA it really just doesn't deliver the goods. Worth picking up for a kick ass brut IPA? No. Worth picking up for a kick-ass IPA? Yes. A touch disappointed in this outcome, despite having another 5 good beers to drink.

I know I got called out for reviewing something last week against the style listed on the site here and rating it lower, but this is both labeled by the brewer and site as a Brut IPA, which is categorized by a dry aroma and flavor profile, and crispness in texture - and it barely nicks the edge of the target for those attributes. I will not rate this higher purely because it's a good beer. It aimed for a target and missed. Likewise, I wouldn't hand a medal to a forward who beat a defender, shot, and pumped the ball deep into the crowd instead of the net.

Cheers.

24. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,299) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I just picked up a 6er at my local today, will try one for NBS on Sunday. After perusing this thread, I'm very curious to try this.

TongoRad and Harrison8 like this.
  25. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (422) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

Haha this isn’t a beer meant to be sessioned. Drink just one and enjoy it, you’ll be fine.

26. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,855) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

I've got one planned for NBS, but it'll be a late contribution after getting the first turns of the season.

Harrison8 and sharpski like this.
  27. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,469) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I also have been extremely eager to try this one. I've only had one Brut IPA thus far from a local brewery. I'd love to see Stone's take on the style. If I see this I absolutely will buy it.

Harrison8 likes this.
  28. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (270) Feb 13, 2015 California

tastes a whole lot like regular enjoy by, and i don't find it particularly brut-y. kind of a half-assed attempt to follow the trend (like unfiltered enjoy by)...still an enjoyable beer though.

Harrison8 likes this.
  29. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (214) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

It looks nothing like the examples of Brut IPA I’ve seen thus far. It is much darker and I thought a very pale presentation is typical of the “style”.

Harrison8 likes this.
  30. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (77) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I have yet to be impressed with any brew's I've had within the style. I'll give it a shot, but my expectations will be low.

31. JackHorzempa

Premium

Have you tried Surly Brut IPA? If so, what are your thoughts about that specific beer?

Cheers!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/356807/