Stone Delicious IPA bottled for 2015

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Ngntjp, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choicegrinds

choicegrinds Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 New York

Pretty sure this is going in the next mixed 12

BriantheBeerGeek likes this.
  2. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Champion (852) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

@FATC1TY what beer was that? Heading down to ATL area in a few weeks looking to pick up some Orpheus and Creature Comforts.

3. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,281) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Re: lemondrop

If that is, in fact, Experimental Hop 1210, which was nicknamed LemonDrop, then I have a bit of context to add. A couple of my brewer friends and I have experimented with this hop, and its name is fitting (unlike 727/grapefruit) . It is a raw lemon citrus flavor - almost too much, just like lemon juice. It is best tempered by other citrus hops rather than used as a single hop, but coul really be an interesting addition to the trendy new hop scene.

4. jpellett251

jpellett251 Initiate (98) Jan 16, 2010 Georgia

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a straight answer from my hop supplier for the last year about what my hops are actually named, and I still don't know. What I know us that I contracted experimental 04190, and that's what my hop boxes said. As far as an actual name, they've told me Lemon Drop, Lemon Zest, and Pinefruit. I still don't know which one it is...

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (863) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

It's Orpheus Transmigration of Souls.. unfortunately, you won't find any. It's a seasonal beer. A 10% DIPA, that will be back out in the spring, but luckily.. canned this time around as it was draft only.

Hit me up when the golf courses are green again, and I'll send you some.

6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (863) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I remember you mentioning that.. Are they Hop Steiner hops? Regardless, they work with the combo you have going, so hopefully there isn't another varietal with a similar name that could get sent next year in your contract.

Whichever they are, I hope it's the same next year. Fantastic beer, and I need many cans of it in my future. Maybe 16 ounce cans.. :wink:

Also- need Orpheus glasses and a shirt.. put up a store please!!

7. jpellett251

jpellett251 Initiate (98) Jan 16, 2010 Georgia

Fortunately, I'm not really worried about getting the right hop; my contract is for 04190, no matter what it's actual name is. It's through Yakima Valley Hops. We're doing 12 oz 6 packs for Transmigration. Should actually have the can proofs by the end of the week, and are going to release sometime between mid-February and March 1. We'll get a webstore soon, but we do have shirts at the brewery!

FATC1TY likes this.
  8. DaltonC

DaltonC Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Idaho

6 packs, draft, 22oz in the new mixed 12 pack. Nationwide release by next week.

9. schoolboy

schoolboy Poo-Bah (2,487) Dec 23, 2005 Ohio

I dunno but I want to get me some to find out!

10. OleGee

OleGee Initiate (133) Dec 27, 2013 New Jersey

AN IPA THAT LIVES UP TO ITS NAME
    [​IMG]
    We’ve brewed many India pale ales over the past 18 years, from double-down bitter bombs to piney session sippers. Whether it’s big IBUs or a precise ABV, there’s usually a target we’re shooting for. The same is true of this, our latest IPA, but we gave zero thought to any acronyms.

This one was all about packing as much unique and delicious flavor into a glass as humanly possible, regardless of oomph or octane. This intensely citrusy, beautifully bitter beer is worthy of the simple-yet-lordly title of Stone Delicious IPA. Lemondrop and El Dorado hops combine to bring on a magnificent lemon candy-like flavor that's balanced by hop spice. It’s unlike anything we’ve tasted in nearly two decades of IPA experimentation.

Starting today, this refreshingly sharp creation will begin making its way across the country in 12-ounce six-packs and on draft. Check out the official beer page and new video to discover a different reason why we're thrilled to introduce yet another IPA. Then learn even more about this FAQ-deserving beer at The Stone Blog.

See the Stone Beer Finder for help finding Stone Delicious IPA at a retailer or bar near you.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5ec5334c4de0485ce1a0cb338&id=65655af963&e=83280c09f7

FaradayUncaged and StLeasy like this.
  11. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Is this joining the year round lineup? or is it joining the seasonal lineup that now contains Saison and Coffee Milk Stout?

12. Briesch

Briesch Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 California

Quoted from the Stone page, "It is the winter-spring transition beer in our Rotator series, which also includes Stone Saison & Stone Coffee Milk Stout."

tjensen3618 likes this.
  13. element223

element223 Initiate (70) Jan 27, 2013 New York
    Society

Funny that this should have transpired...

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-delicious-ipa/

14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

That's the description of one type of hop? Sounds more like several.

15. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota

Actual recipe obtained:

[​IMG] + [​IMG]

hoppytobehere, FutureJack and deford like this.
  16. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Crusader (772) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yeah, there's a lot of flavors that seem almost contradictory...I'd imagine that how the hop is used determines which part of its flavor profile is noticeable in the beer.

17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Either way, it piques my interest. Never tasted anything with that lemondrop hop before.

18. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (834) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Any price tag on this one? I heard one at $11.50 per 22oz. Does that sound about right?

19. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (78) May 23, 2013 California

No fucking way. I'd assume it comes out at 7 bucks for 22oz.

20. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Its in a six pack in their seasonal lineup. Saison and Coffee Stout were $9 a six, so I'm guessing that's what it will be.

GetMeAnIPA and dcgunman like this.
  21. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Just got an email from my local...I'll have this tomorrow...I'll try to post something useful...

22. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

I was responding to the statement that all of stone's beers are gluten free. You'll notice this one isn't actually gluten free either, but most of their beers are not in any gluten reduced. This is important information to get exactly right for some people. Granted those people hopefully don't get their information here

23. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,095) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

24. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (239) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

I paid 8.99 today in OC for a 6 pack

25. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (467) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Can anyone compare the IPA to the Delicious IPA for me?

I really enjoy many stone beers, but I find stone's ipa absolutely awful. Not sure whether to make an effort to get this delicious ipa.

mccorvey likes this.
  26. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia

Was the intent of this beer to market to the 'gluten free' dieters?

27. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (193) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Funny. First time I had stone IPA I hated it. I described as Perfumey- way too dry and frankly unusual tasting. I've since concluded I musta had an old bottle. When this stuff us fresh it's great. Unique, a tad dank and really tasty.

28. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (336) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I'm actually really disappointed this is "reduced gluten". Hopefully the beer is still good but I hate the idea of them tinkering with the ingredients or brewing process just to appease some ridiculous dietary trend. I guess its nice that those people have a beer to drink, but I feel like my previous excitement was misguided about what this product actually is.

29. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,201) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Definitely looking forward to it, but curbing enthusiasm.

30. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (239) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

Agreed, when its fresh, its great. Ive had some old on tap, not great. Fresh on tap, F'in great. Same goes for bottles of the regular ipa.

31. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia

I pretty much feel the same way. Good for Stone trying to make a decent beer to target the 'gluten free' crowd (seems like most of the current options are terrible) but I have no interest in purcasing a sixer of this beer anymore. I really didn't like the lemon flavor in 16th Anniversary so I was a bit skeptical on this one anyway.

32. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Initiate (88) Oct 25, 2010 California

Do you not drink Alpine either? Because I'd imagine this is the same yeast that Alpine has been using in all of their beers which was synthesized at WhiteLabs.

Everyone looks for a way to discredit Stone, though. So whatever.

mellon likes this.
  33. beernuts

Trader

We don't get Alpine out here. I'm not looking to discredit Stone at all, I love Stone. I tried Abraxas for the first time this year, and all I could think was that it was only slightly better than Xocoveza, which was 1/3 the price and available everywhere I looked. I also don't know anything about reducing gluten in beers, but in my mind its just an element of the process not designed to make the beer taste better.

anyway, I tried the Delicious IPA on draft this morning and it was pretty good, but also kind of unremarkable to me. I definitely would never have known that it was reduced gluten, it didn't taste like health food like I was expecting.

34. mellon

mellon Initiate (43) Mar 6, 2011 California
    Trader

The beer is solid, 'gluten reduced' or not.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  35. pixiesfanyo

If you'd actually spend a second investing the gluten free part, it is an enzyme in the yeast that doesn't change the flavor of the beer at all.

mellon likes this.
  36. beernuts

Trader

ok, my bad, now I know.

37. pixiesfanyo

Sorry to be a dick. I'm not a huge Stone fan. I just think this yeast is a brilliant development especially given the fact I'm a bar owner and people are always looking for gluten free substitutes. It does not alter the flavor at all which is a huge problem with people going from IPAs to something like Bard's. Granted, an individual with celiac could still not drink this.

38. mellon

mellon Initiate (43) Mar 6, 2011 California
    Trader

Thanks for this, it frustrates me that people would disregard the beer based on their false assumptions of what 'gluten reduced' is..

Also, not all people that are gluten-free do it as a "ridiculous dietary trend". That's just insulting to those with actual intolerances or allergies.

I'm by no means gluten-free but I appreciate this effort by Stone.

StoneBrewing, ksi4077 and neurobot01 like this.
  39. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Initiate (194) Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

That's not true. People with Celiac can drink this. I'd bet only the extreme cases would be impacted by the gluten content, as it's below the tolerable level, which applies to most of the population. I have a friend with Celic who drinks Omission (same or similar enzyme) and Wicked Weed's Gluten Freek many times and hasn't had any issues.

I've had these beers, btw, and the flavor is slightly different. It's minor and most can't tell but it's not exactly the same if Gluten Freek is any indication (and Omission Pale is similar to Widmer's Pale).

40. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (361) May 17, 2013 Illinois

I really like this one!

StoneBrewing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.