Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...

Release Stone Double Bastard Bigger Longer Uncut

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by rphx88, Aug 8, 2016.

1. rphx88

rphx88 Aspirant (224) Oct 22, 2014 Arizona
    Beer Trader

2. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,280) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Very nice. How much.

3. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,040) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

Uncle F^*ka!!!

kwakwhore and Gemini6 like this.
  4. rphx88

Beer Trader

Does it matter?

alucard6679, BWood and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (173) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I think he was continuing the "Borat" quotes :stuck_out_tongue:

6. rphx88

Beer Trader

I like you peoples.

kwakwhore likes this.
  7. MilkManX

MilkManX Disciple (305) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

swolepeer likes this.
  8. Hayden34

Hayden34 Devotee (470) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Jagshemash!

kwakwhore and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  9. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (388) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing they are doing the mixed 4 bastard bomber pack again and this will be one of them. Last year around my area they were $19.99 to $24.99.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (441) Mar 19, 2012 California

Spank me and call me Ethel! I'm in!

SawDog505 likes this.
  11. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Devotee (479) Dec 6, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

this looks like a very pricey insta-buy

i would like to put this in my mouth holes! I like!

diddy4l likes this.
  12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,280) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I tried to add to the wah wah wee wah borat joke.

Hayden34 likes this.
  13. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (331) Feb 13, 2015 California

sounds awesome, just hope it's more reasonably priced than most of stone's other BA stuff

14. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,032) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll pick some up.

Cheers!

15. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (219) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This one is cut with 50% regular Double Bastard and comes in 22oz bottles so it should be cheaper than their BA beers.

16. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,262) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

That damn brewery is always costing me money!!!!!!!!!

creepinjeeper, CJNAPS and cello like this.
  17. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,698) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

Its really nice to know that Ohio will likely get some of this! :slight_smile:

18. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (949) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I understand the feeling brotha hahaha

tlema1 likes this.
  19. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (949) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'll grab some of this for sure, I always have room for Stone releases.

MasterTea likes this.
  20. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (446) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I tried this on tap over the weekend. It is very smokey. I assume it is from the Scotch barrel.

21. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (162) May 23, 2013 California

Had a sample of it and it doesn't taste like DB at all (which is a good thing cause I was never a fan of DB). The Laphroaig barrel is very obvious, super peaty and briny, barely any bitterness from the base beer, and it's smooth as hell for being 13%. Gonna pop a crowler tomorrow and max out on bottles to cellar.

22. rronin

rronin Initiate (185) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

It should be half what the 100% BA Stone product is.

23. rronin

rronin Initiate (185) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

$19.00 to $24.99 works for me.

24. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (143) May 7, 2015 California

Picked up a bottle for $12.99. On the bottle it says "peaty as hell" and that's no lie. The peaty smoke was the only flavor in this beer for me. I love DB but this was not for me.

25. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,012) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The day after I drank it (after one bottle I needed to sleep it off), I went out and bought another bottle to age. This beer will be fantastic after sitting for a few years.

26. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (514) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina

I like.

Urk1127 likes this.
  27. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

Just picked up mine, $8.19. Will try it tonight!

28. Muss42

Muss42 Aspirant (275) Mar 7, 2015 Michigan

Peaty as hell is a great description. It was very flavorful. Bit much for me but very unique. At $10 a bomber for 13% is worth a try.

29. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,108) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

Do you have proof on the Laphroaig? That was actually my first thought, but I'm starting to consider something like an Oban as well. Laphroaig has a bit of a citrus note to it but AB is hopped so I'm not sure if I'm just getting the hop notes that with the peat give me that.

This is wonderful beer for anyone reading. I don't think you have to be a peat lover to enjoy, but you can't hate peat, that's for sure. I'm not expecting the peat to fade as fast as some barrel flavors can or even merge with them. This one is going to be peaty long after the hops fade. :slight_smile:

30. BeerCosby

BeerCosby Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Has there been any news of an Arrogant Bastard Box this year? With the release of Double, Lukcy, and this, it seems like it would be ideal. Going to get this no matter what, but getting them all in one shot would be great.

31. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (252) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

"Peaty as hell," but if you can focus your taste buds it is unmistakably Double Bastard underneath. My bottle, on the "Barrel Info" says 100% aged in Islay whiskey barrels and the Arrogant Brewing site says the same. I guess they decided the blend wasn't arrogant enough and went with a full barrel aged version? This version is definitely a truly unique beer. At under 10 bucks, it was a real bargain and I wish they'd had more than one bottle left because I'd love to cellar a few at that price, which I'd speculate may have been set based on a 50/50 fresh/barrel blend since the barrel aged Double Bastards are normally double this price.

32. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (185) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is a phenomenal and truly unique beer. I'll be buying a few more bottles to age.

33. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Champion (889) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

$9.99 here in Ohio and a super intense beer! Love smoky, peaty Scotch so this really worked for me. Gonna age one too.

34. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (388) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I haven't heard anything about the box in the stone emails detailing the releases. Seems they will all just be sold separately.

35. ArrogantBastard

ArrogantBastard Initiate (122) Nov 30, 2015 California

No Bastard Box this year. But our beer finder will help you track down our recent releases:

Double Bastard Ale: http://bit.ly/DoubleBastard2016
    Lukcy Basartd: http://bit.ly/LukcyBasartd2016
    Double Bastard Bigger Longer Uncut: http://bit.ly/DBBigger

-The Bastard's Minion

Dave_Carlson and BeerCosby like this.
  36. Inquisition

Inquisition Initiate (144) Jun 5, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

I got one for $8.99 recently. Very peaty. I like it but I probably wouldn't drink it again any time soon.

37. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (157) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I picked up a bottle a couple days ago. Cracked it open and loved the hell out of it - it's as if Laphroaig bottled their own beer. It was excellent. Went back to pick up a few more and they were gone. Bummed to say the least, but I'm glad I was able to enjoy at least one!

PaulQuinn and Joshmistake like this.
  38. BeerCosby

BeerCosby Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Very bummed that I might end up missing out on this. No distribution in RI and then the only place remotely close in MA was sold out when I went. Usually most of Stone's stuff is pretty easy to find-- even the Bastard Box last year was.

Also, I have noticed that stores that recently got regular Double Bastard (as confirmed by the AB beer finder), seem to be peddling 2015 Double Bastard with no 2016 to be found. At first I thought it was just maybe one store, but I have seen it at a few places. Just wish I could find one of my favorite beers fresh a bit more easily this year :slight_frown:

39. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (457) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I noticed the same thing. I have never had Double Bastard, so I thought I should try it before I picked up the Bigger-Longer-Uncut version, but everywhere I went I saw the same October 2015 batch.

40. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (252) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You should definitely try it fresh first, but assuming those 2015 DBs you found have been properly stored (probably assuming too much), that beer is fantastic with a little age. I've never had it with one year on it, but 2 year old Double Bastard is wonderful. A very different beer, and maybe even better than fresh.

Gemini6 and Hoppedelic like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.