Stone Double Bastard to return in 2024

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by jmdrpi, Nov 10, 2023.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

From Stone's social media today:
    Count me as one that will be looking forward to this. I drank my last bottle of DB from the cellar during Cellaruary earlier this year.

Peach63, ramseye4, AlcahueteJ and 9 others like this.
  2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,850) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I might give this one a try for old times sake. Stone makes it fucking hard on their old fans at retail though. I recently saw their 27th anniversary dipa and thought maybe I'd give it a try...$17 for a 6 pack. Sorry Stone, but you lost that kind of cache a long time ago for me

Hatzilla, TrojanRB, KevSal and 10 others like this.
  3. alucard6679

alucard6679 Pundit (997) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Yeah, their pricing has gotten a tad bit ridiculous

4. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Pooh-Bah (1,841) Aug 24, 2020 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I figure it this way....today I paid more than 4x the cost per ounce of a six pack just to get the same beer in draft format at a casual restaurant. The normal 6 pack price for the beer is $12, so the comparable restaurant price for the same volume is about $50. At that rate, paying $17 for a six pack of Stone's DB seems like a bargain....

#4 BillAfromSoCal, Nov 11, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  5. alucard6679

Yeah, $17 for DB is a good deal (I forget what bomber pricing used to be, somewhere between 10-15?). I was more so thinking of their IPA releases these past few years, which I’ve tended to opt for single can purchases with those and am usually glad that I did.

#5 alucard6679, Nov 11, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  6. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Anyone remember those huge Bastard box bottles? I bought 3 or 4 and they were sub $20 a set.

Enjoy

7. alucard6679

Those were cool, I definitely picked up a couple whenever I saw them. I also miss the four packs of Oaked AB, solid beer

8. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Pooh-Bah (1,841) Aug 24, 2020 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ya, although I did really like one of their anniversary IPA releases a year or two ago. As I wrote my post about paying 4x the retail price for the privilege of sitting in a noisy venue with reliance on questionable service and "maybe" clean glassware and the whole driving while impaired thing, I realize I would much rather buy an overpriced 4 pk and enjoy it at home. I can pay $16-20 for a 6 pk or 4 pk and come out ahead on enjoyment and $$$

9. alucard6679

I’m definitely with you on that. It’s been increasingly difficult for me to justify going out to drink, especially without any decent breweries in my area.

10. jageraholic

jageraholic Maven (1,378) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed, I really hope this is $17-18 a six pack and not just bombers. I'll buy a case and it'll be much cheaper than the 12 bomber case of yesteryear

11. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Was not aware people were still doing that

Resistance88 likes this.
  12. CarolinaCardinals

CarolinaCardinals Grand Pooh-Bah (4,695) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I suspect we are paying these prices due to Greg Koch’s bad business decisions last decade. Saddens me as i was one of their biggest fans back in the day.

13. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,850) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They really seem to have shot for premium pricing but they don't seem to have continued to deliver a premium product. It seems hard enough for reasonably priced national brands like SN to stay afloat, a brewery like Stone is choosing to compete directly in the higher end price category with tons and tons of local options and their stuff just doesn't seem to compete quality wise

14. Resistance88

Resistance88 Pooh-Bah (2,786) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'll be getting a case of this for sure

Heading to Stone now to enjoy their Blackened Friday as i do every year.... and to pick up some Coffee Eugene someone brought me .
    @unlikelyspiderperson i agree to a certain extent, but im coming from a very limited view as i have access to a taproom where i enjoy more shit than people that only have access to ( sadly) mass distro.

SN sucks too though...we don't get narwhal or porter.

15. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah Society

These $18 a six releases I can’t pony up. I k is it’s not horrible prices but I just can’t. I walked past Xocho the other day. Double might get me to bite but I don’t know if I even see it. I do like all the Bastards and variations.

Enjoy

16. Resistance88

Pooh-Bah Society

singles at TJs are ~ 2 bux

17. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah Society

Sure, only issue is they don’t sell beer/wine here.

Enjoy

18. Resistance88

Pooh-Bah Society

ouchies. hard to enjoy that.

save yo pennies for summertime as thats when DB will be seeing shelves

19. QuietlyJudgingYou

QuietlyJudgingYou Initiate (190) Oct 24, 2023
    Deactivated

Oh how I've missed that boozy bastard. I'm not gonna get my hopes up of it finding it's way into upstate ny though.

jmdrpi likes this.
  20. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hell yeah! Can't wait for this. This was a transformative beer for me. I hope they haven't messed with the recipe and that the ABV stays the same.