Stone Enjoy By 10.31.19 IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AZBeerDude72, Sep 30, 2019.

1. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,814) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

STONE ENJOY BY 10.31.19 IPA
    Frighteningly Fresh

STYLE
    Double IPA
    ALC/VOL
    9.4%
    IBUs
    GET SOCIAL
    EnjoyBy

Consistently delivered faster than any bottled IPA on the planet, Stone Enjoy By IPA facilitated a paradigm shift in respect for and enjoyment of hoppy beers by ensuring craft beer fans the ultimate level of freshness. We brew this intense double IPA with more than 10 different hops, employing hop-bursting and dry-hopping techniques to amp up the peach and tropical fruit notes and overall hop factor. Brewed specifically NOT to last, this devastatingly fresh, golden beauty should be enjoyed within 37 days.

Brewed to be enjoyed fresh
    RELEASE DATE
    September 26, 2019

PACKAGE TYPES
    22oz Bottles (CA only)
    Draft
    AVAILABILITY
    Nationwide

FLAVOR PROFILE
    Hoppy, Tropical, Floral
    WHEN TO ENJOY
    37 Days
    LEARN MORE
    BEERADVOCATE
    FEATURED HOPS
    Nugget
    Super Galena
    Simcoe
    Delta
    Target
    Amarillo
    Cascade
    Galaxy
    Citra®
    Nelson Sauvin
    Motueka & Helga

Roguer and Peach63 like this.
  2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,078) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

good god that hop bill seems a bit excessive. Definitely one I always like to try when I see it

3. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (371) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Do we really need to start a thread every time this beer is released?

4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (45) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I think it's time to retire this series

5. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

How come? I always enjoyed the series, some decent beers over the years. Are you not a fan of Stone or IPAs?

6. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

LOL I think they covered the hops on this one for sure :stuck_out_tongue:

Peach63 and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  7. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (213) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This is a bad take, a revolving fresh IPA series has no reason to be cancelled. In fact, more brewers should put their clackers on the table and go for freshness instead of hiding the date through random codes we all have to attempt to decipher.

MikeP64, lic217, woodchipper and 24 others like this.
  8. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Totally agree. I have been critical of Stone on other things but I always appreciate them for their desire to respect freshness.

IPAExpert69 and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  9. scream

scream Meyvn (1,153) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

so it appears this will only be draft except 22oz btls in Cal or am I missing something ?

alucard6679, AZBeerDude72 and waltari like this.
  10. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (122) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I like Stone (does that make me a Stoner?) and try this recurring release every couple of times. Probably won't get to this one, no package near me and a busy month. I have no fear, there will be another release someday.

KRug likes this.
  11. waltari

waltari Initiate (66) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

That's exactly how I understood it.

GreenBayBA and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Yes,
    I was sort of bummed by this. Not sure if they are laying grounds for all future Enjoy By to go this way but it could be sign of change for them.

Cheers

tzieser likes this.
  13. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Made in California. Nationwide distro. I may purchase, if the price is right. Seems like a pullback in volume and response to the criticism of the RVA IPAs.

14. AWA

AWA Aspirant (263) Jul 22, 2014 California

Clearly we do.

15. AWA

AWA Aspirant (263) Jul 22, 2014 California

I want to say that I'm out based on that. But really I'm going to buy the bombers.

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,969) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Last bottle I had was completely forgettable.

alert likes this.
  17. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (190) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

I had a stovepipe can of 7/04 back in June and did not really “enjoy” it, was really taken aback how how malty it was. That said I love the idea of periodic releases of ipas vs always available shelf turds and I used to go out of my way for this beer.

benzodrums, mogulskier and pjeagles like this.
  18. scream

scream Meyvn (1,153) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Thanks to all for their responses will be in Ft Bragg next wk and will look then

19. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,108) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I agree that batch didn't 'pop'. But I did like the stovepipe can for conveyance to the backcountry. Was hoping that trend would continue, not stoked on the return to bombers. I'd be more likely to sample on draft and buy a 6er of 12oz. I'm not carrying that much glass into the backcountry. Yes, I'm getting older, and yes, I have a spine condition. So while not a weight weenie, aluminum >>> glass.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  20. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (346) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I mean it's maybe the only bottled IPA left on the planet anyway, but sure.

Stone's marketing has always been a little too slick for it's own good.

21. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,248) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Except in Germany...

22. joerooster

I see your point but EB just sits on shelves now, more often than not I see this beer and we are past the EB date.

Bobgass likes this.
  23. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I just got an email from Stone and I misread the original post. Nationwide draft release. Bottles in California. Definitely passing now.

24. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,538) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

The timing of Mitch Steele leaving Stone a little over 2 years ago really is when things went south for Stone. Was it his leaving the cause or he just knew when to move on due to the inevitable shift forthcoming? Their IPAs have been way off IMO from the past, not sure if it’s Richmond issues , my palette shifting , or new brewmaster not at Mitch’s level.

25. Bobgass

Bobgass Aspirant (201) Jan 27, 2017 New York
    Society

Yes. Let’s always celebrate this one.

26. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Did they have freshness issues in Germany? I am not overly familiar with what happened there all I know is they sold operations, etc.

27. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (213) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That's on the store, not Stone itself. I mean sure, they brew too much of the stuff, but all breweries do that. That would be like blaming a bread company for the loafs in the supermarket not being the freshest. Idiotic in my opinion anyway. And I have trashed stone for their bullshit PR lawsuits and ridiculous limited releases previously, I'm by no means a staunch Stone defender.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  28. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (604) Mar 28, 2009 California

I wish they did an enjoy ipa and not enjoy by dipa. Rarely do I buy 6 packs if a 9%+ ipa. It Would be nice to have a good fresh WCIPA I could pickup when it comes out.

29. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

All their beer carries a 12-month best by date in Germany. It used to be 9 months, but got changed around the time that BrewDog took over production, I believe. Not that 9 months would really be much better, but to be fair they had to play by the German rules if they wanted to be in supermarkets, so they didn't have much of a choice in the matter, which I'm sure must have been immensely frustrating to Greg. From what a German Stone representative told me, "many [German] retailers will not accept beer with a shelf-life of under 270 days".

As a result of this and the fact that most distributors in Germany buy beer in huge bulk volumes and then let it sit in their warehouses for months on end before they can deliver it to retailers, I've never seen a can of Stone at under 10 weeks old and those cans are very rare and lucky finds that I scoop up whenever possible, especially Arrogant Bastard. They are usually 4-8 months old when I come across them.

30. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Thank you for the info, I was not aware of this at all. I am sure that did not sit well with Stone and their freshness motto so I can see why things went south in the end. That is amazing how different things are in one country verse another with regards to this sort of thing. I never knew the rules were like that across the board, I would have guessed companies could get cutouts etc. depending on situation. Thanks for the info :beers:

nick_perry likes this.
  31. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Well, it's not quite like that all across the board, just for the supermarkets, gas stations and other mainstream outlets as well as the large distributors that service them. You can find beer a lot more fresh at specialized craft beer bottle shop that use other distribution channels, often ordering from the brewery directly, but those can be few and far inbetween.

I also think that this whole problem is a lot more common in northern Germany because I know that many of the smaller and even some of the larger Franconian breweries shun the standardized 12-month best by dates in favor of 4-6 months and I doubt that they are not in supermarkets in Bavaria.

32. joerooster

Not just you. I pretty much stopped buying Stone beers when they started changing recipes and dropping a lot of their non-IPAs from their portfolio. That along with the beers being produced in RVA did not taste right but that may have changed in the past couple years.

Clearly it's not selling like it once was, that's why they need to just retire it and do something different. Look at how many EBs were done in 2013-2016, since then it's being released a lot less often and it still just sits on shelves (4.20.19 is available down the street from my house). https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-enjoy-ipa-series

mogulskier likes this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,078) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is probably exactly why they are only releasing bottles in CA and are doing draft only everywhere else. Presumably they made less and I'd imagine they have some data about draft selling better but have seen good sales numbers on the packaged stuff in CA. I'll definitely get a pour or two if it pops up on tap here and might buy a bomber

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  34. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (282) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I can still pick up some EB April '19 if anyone is interested. No really, I can :grin:

I haven't purchased a six pack in a long time due to price and ABV, one or two is usually enough for me. If I see this on draft I may try it but not dying to try it or anything.

35. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (255) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

I’d had the same hope— that they would do a lower abv version every now and then (like for the summer release?). I’d pick that up in a heartbeat.

36. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,867) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, no, it's Stone's along with their local distributor's responsibility to maintain fresh beer. They have a "REPORT OLD BEER" page and even say:
    The NBWA agrees: "After delivery, the distributor continues to monitor retailer shelves to ensure product freshness and integrity."
    Most large baking companies (like many dairies) do their own stocking of the shelves at local grocery and food stores and it's their employees who are charged with maintaining product freshness, pulling out-of-code stock, etc. Ditto for the large soft drink companies. I'd guess those profitable companies don't think it's "idiotic", even as it costs them money in time, labor and replacing stock.

37. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (604) Mar 28, 2009 California

Exactly! They did an “unfiltered”, and black
    Ipa. I would take just a 6.7% enjoy by any day. I like the hop profile and flavor but for me it’s just too much.

Junior, beernuts, BikeChef and 2 others like this.
  38. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (63) Feb 3, 2019 California

Agree on this one. It used to be the cat's meow, and you needed to get it quick before it sold out. As far back as last year, I just don't drink Stone EB very often. And yeah, they sit on the shelves awhile. I found that basic "fresh" stone IPA to be a west coast go-to beer.

Perhaps EB does need to be looked at again by Stone and change tactics, the haze craze notwithstanding as this is still red hot and driving business away from west coast IPA's, although there are signs the pendulum is swinging back the other way.

39. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,151) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Bought a bomber the other day. Shared it with a roommate. I enjoyed it. That is all. Carry on.

40. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (391) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to get a sixer of Enjoy By.
    I also secretly dream that Greg pulls a big stunt and says, “Fuck the current trends, we’re bringing old school Ruination back.”