Stone Enjoy By Tangerine IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by TonyLema1, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (818) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not a fan of enjoy by but I just had a tangerine soul style and it was really good. Blew the regular away.

ST make a great low ABV tangerine peel beer too that I hope comes back this year. It was called tangier

Enjoy

2. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,573) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Did you report it on Stone's website?

Takes less time than posting it on a forum...

ebin6 and StoneBrewing like this.
  3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,389) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Id give it a shot. I wasnt a fan of regular enjoy by because massive onion. Maybe it'll tone it down and add sweetness.

4. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (79) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Looking forward to taking it for a spin. Especially as the daze are getting longer and the weather is getting warmer.

5. JordonHoltzman

JordonHoltzman Defender (640) Apr 9, 2009 New York

It has waned, but Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous was my favorite, hands down. Never tried the Enjoy By variant.

ElijahSF likes this.
  6. Rammed96

Rammed96 Disciple (327) Apr 30, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

It has been reported to Stone

TrojanRB, StoneBrewing and StoneGreg like this.
  7. Razrback5

Razrback5 Initiate (112) Dec 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

They did a Enjoy By back in October at the source where they had Tangerine and it may have been the best beer I had while in San Diego. I hope they somehow mimic that. I will buy a ton of it.

8. Razrback5

Razrback5 Initiate (112) Dec 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

So you had it at the brewery or brew pub back in October? That's when I had it and it was unreal

StoneBrewing likes this.
  9. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (162) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Had it on draft at a so cal bar. They distributed a small amount of kegs.

Razrback5 likes this.
  10. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

I actually came across it at a small bar in los angeles back in October. If memory serves me correctly, the bar keep said it was, if not the only bar in LA, than one of the only that got a keg. I guess he was in good standing with the distributer. It was the bee's knees I'll tell you. I was hoping that someday they would bottle it.

Razrback5 likes this.
  11. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (87) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

I don't know why they haven't changed the name to trendy by or something along those lines.

12. StoneGreg

StoneGreg Initiate (78) May 16, 2002 California

Because if we did that, then everyone would.

13. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Make it stop!

14. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (431) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

15. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (338) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I didn't really taste a huge difference between unfiltered and filtered. At least not big enough where I could say I like one over the other. I bet the tangerine will change the flavor up and I'm looking forward to trying it!

raynmoon likes this.
  16. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Initiate (78) Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I drank both the reg and the Tangerine Enjoy by at Stone Liberty station in December. I was very excited to try the Tangerine and it was good. But I liked the regular best. Of course, I will buy a six of the Tangerine if it comes to Texas. Still waiting on the Unfiltered version too.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  17. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (69) May 7, 2015 California

I had the tangerine back in November at the Oceanside location and it was amazing. A few weeks or a month later they had it again and I got a growler fill. That time there was far less tangerine. Not sure if it was a second batch and they were trying to figure out how much tangerine to use or the tangerine faded or my taste buds were really off one of those times.

I'm hoping that it tastes like the first time I had it.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  18. kimghamburger

kimghamburger Initiate (0) May 3, 2015

They've had it on draft and for growler fills with tangerine for a long time. I wouldn't say they were copying green flash or whoever.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  19. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,481) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

Despite rolling my eyes at the recent and rising flood of citrus fruit flavored beers appearing from breweries across the US and disliking the flavor profile of Enjoy By...

...I'll drink this on draft if I see it.

20. MrHoppyBirfday

MrHoppyBirfday Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2016 Ohio

Totally ready for it and have good vibe about it. Even though I think they kind of misfired with the 4-20 batch. The Unfiltered & Black IPA were delectable.

21. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Devotee (426) May 1, 2014 Vermont

22. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

[​IMG]

This just in. In stores near me anyway

StoneBrewing likes this.
  23. Hyptochrons

Hyptochrons Meyvn (1,367) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

siiick!! stone is hit or miss for me, but always glad to try! didnt love the 4.20 IPA but I still wanna try the unfiltered and would definitely give this a chance!

24. Groenebeor

Groenebeor Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2009 California

yet another hoppy Smirnoff

25. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,096) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Stone has always been smart and if they brew something that starts out as a one and done and it sells and the people seem to love it, they bring it back. Ruin10, Xocoveza, Lucky Bastard, and plenty of others. I think we absolutely will see Unfiltered again. Am I truly excited for this, not really. Will I purchase a 6 pack absolutely. Unfiltered is my favorite thus far also.

26. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

I don't think this will be another "hoppy smirnoff"... what does that even mean? I imagine they won't over fruit it and it will be most bitter rather than sweet. Maybe unfiltered looking a little but not milkshake style. I dunno I have to try it.
    "Hoppy Smirnoff"?! Smh

27. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

It's been on their schedule for another turn in August. Tangerine has another two turns as well after this first one.

28. Dando274

Dando274 Initiate (64) Jan 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

I agree with you. And the fact that we'll try it is why they will keep making variants!

Enjoy By Unfiltered was delicious and a very good IPA but I am not convinced I could tell the difference between it and Enjoy By blindfolded. My bottle looked nothing like an NE style IPA either. That's not a bad thing but I don't think Stone was copying that opaque IPA style because I have to assume they could make one if they wanted too.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,656) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am in that same boat; the unfiltered version just tasted like regular old Enjoy By to me.
    I had it on draft and it was a bit hazy but nowhere near murky/opaque.
    All they did with this beer is 'skip' the filtering process they normally do when brewing Enjoy By. There is no doubt in my mind that they were attempting to obtain some 'buzz' on the popularity of the so called "New England" style IPA right now. As you mentioned they could indeed produce a so called "New England" style IPA but that beer would need to be re-branded since it would be a different beer from Enjoy By.

Cheers!

Gemini6 and Dando274 like this.
  30. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

STOP MAKING IPAs WITH FRUIT ADDITIONS!

fruit flavors from hops not fruit puree

Immortale25 likes this.
  31. Casey3236

Casey3236 Crusader (708) Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

Two or three summers ago was the beginning of the "session IPA" thing. Founders All Day and Stone Go To and then suddenly every brewery had to have one. This summer looks like, led by Ballast Point, will be the summer of fruited ales. Every time I go to the store there's a new release by some brewery of a fruit added ipa, session or pale ale. We'll just have to see if they stick around like sessions did.

32. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (750) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

It doesn't mean anything, its just someone trying too hard to be pretentious.

TriggerFingers and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  33. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

They've done a bunch of fruited DIPA/IPAs and before it got super trendy over the past year or so.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  34. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

I always find it amusing when people complain about a particular beer coming out. FYI not all beer is brewed based on your preference. You don't like it don't buy it, not post on a thread about a beer just to complain about it.

Stone has done a good job with variants and additions so I would gladly give this a try.

ackeeper, Tilley4, Patches826 and 6 others like this.
  35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,656) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What!?! If BA's didn't complain about beers they have not even tasted the number of posts would decrease by 50%!!:wink:

Cheers!

36. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

37. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

Never had it. I understand adding fruit to beer, I do. Just adding Fruit to an Already Fruity DIPA is like frying an Egg (over easy) and placing on top of an Omlete. Just seems pointless to me. Unless you can taste the Fruit and it doesn't over shadow the Base Beer. Then I might enjoy it and reconsider.

38. ElijahSF

I thought it was an interesting brew as it crossed a few beer styles and in my opinion was successful in doing so.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  39. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

I will try it if I cross it's path. I'm not one to turn down a beer. I have been disappointed in just about every Fruited IPA/DIPA I've had so far. While I favor some more, just overall they haven't hit that "Love" string on my heart. Will keep my eyes open though.

40. ElijahSF

Totally understand, I feel the same way in that a lot of the fruited IPA/DIPA notes can be achieved by using hops alone or at least come damn close if done well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.