Release Stone Exalted IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by stevepat, Mar 7, 2018.

1. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-seasonals/stone-exalted-ipa

Just picked this one up last night. The can makes it sound like it will be a series of varying hop combos. Pretty good IPA, not the most economical (I think it hit me around $12 a six pack) but I've also never heard of Loral hops and stone's work with hops is always interesting.

2. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (794) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Had this a few weeks ago and was one of the worst ipas I've ever had hands down. I LOVE enjoy by so had big hopes to like this one too.

Unfortunately it smells like feet and stinky cheese. Literally.

3. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (58) May 1, 2017 Ohio

I find mostly all of Stone's beers that use new, lesser known hops to be pretty bad and usually pretty weird in general.

It's clear they use weird experimental hops to justify beers that otherwise have to reason to exist, marketing the hell out of them.

I don't have a problem with IPA breweries, fundamentally, as long as nearly all their IPAs are great. But Stone turned and really went down this path full steam ahead but don't even take the time to make decent IPA anymore. I guess IPA doesn't have to be good to sell.

ESHBG likes this.
  4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,268) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

On the up side, you get to try new varieties of hops. I'd only had one beer with Loral Hops before (Yards brewing did a Pilsner that featured them) and my palate was wrecked at that time, so the Exalted was a good opportunity to sit down and really investigate them. As many others found I didn't really like the beer, but that's not really the brewers fault, is it? There was nothing wrong with the beer, it was just the hops. I'm looking forward to more in the future although I know it might be hit or miss depending on my personal tastes.

JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,448) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Jim, I had that beer at the 2017 Philly Bierfest and I really liked it!

As you know, in brewing it is not just the ingredients but the brewing process that will impact the flavor profile of the resulting beer. I strongly suspect that Yards was judicious in their utilization of the Loral hops in that Pilsner beer.

Cheers!

P.S. I was not wrecked (yet) when I drank that beer.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  6. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (203) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Stone uses these weird hops and probably make a killing on their margins. Still gonna be an absolute sucker and try them all. Doubt they will be able to touch Sierra Nevada's Experimental Hop Pack in terms of quality though. Loral & Dr. Rudi's Inevitable Adventure was a pretty solid Stone Experiment though!

7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,266) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I wasn't a fan of this beer either. I also bought the Costco mix pack and the Herkules Revovler tastes like shit. Like fake Canteloupe. I hate Canteloupe. 1/4 of my 24 pack is getting dumped.

rypkr likes this.
  8. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (146) May 7, 2015 California

My guess is that Stone went all in on Loral hop contracts and are now experimenting with the hop to find a beer that sells. Seems a similar thing happened with Mandarina Bavaria in 2.0 and when that went away other beers poped up with that hop. Both of which are in Scorpion Bowl which is now year round.

Looking forward to tasting Righteous IPA which I believe is Mosaic and El Dorado and Ruination 3.0.

9. scream

scream Zealot (533) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

While not up to some of their other IPA's such as Delicious and Ruination I did not find this to be bad at all. I got no onion taste as some mentioned in their reviews. 3.69 rating

10. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

That Pale Ale 2.0 was really unique and quite delicious....I just don't think it had what it takes to be a flagship year-round brew.

11. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

The name "loral" doesn't do itself any favors. Like I would fuck a "Citra", but a loral I would put a blouse on and call it Blanch.

12. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (258) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Hated Exalted. Galaxy Bowl was a step in a better direction in my opinion.

13. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (58) May 1, 2017 Ohio

I think of Laurel and Hardy, so I picture a beer that's a stupid buffoon.

14. AWA

AWA Aspirant (265) Jul 22, 2014 California

I do believe I have a new favorite post of the year.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  15. AWA

AWA Aspirant (265) Jul 22, 2014 California

And btw, I kinda liked Exalted. Probably wouldn't pay 12 bucks for it again, but I didn't feel ripped off.

scream likes this.
  16. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (220) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I didn't love Loral and Dr. Rudis, so I'll skip this one.

17. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,344) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Worth checking out if it shows up around here.:slight_smile:

Cheers!