Stone Soup-esque gathering in NYC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Franch, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,688) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Danggit, was hoping it would remain on the 19th. The 26th is Memorial Day weekend and I almost certainly will be out of town. Foiled again!

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

May 26th is actually the only date that probably,y works for me. Was planning on heading into NYC for an improv based jam session meetup. This could be a great way to do both!

Any thoughts on when this would start and/or go until?

3. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2010 New York

I think I should be able to make that day.

cosmicevan likes this.
  4. cosmicevan

If you will be there I will put in the extra effort to attend and bring something to put a smile on your face for all of your help in the past.

GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  5. WhereTheWildBeersGo

WhereTheWildBeersGo Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 New York

The 26th is good for me

6. shufon

shufon Initiate (190) Dec 15, 2008 New York

Damn, would totally be down for this if it were the weekend before or after. Will be out of town on the 26th unfortunately :slight_frown:

7. Franch

Franch Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia

Hopefully he's not going away for the weekend of Memorial Day...once I get confirmation from the venue, I'll post an official thread and a new spreadsheet. I know not everyone can make any given weekend, but with Mother's Day, Memorial Day, the craft beer event in Boston, the venue being unavailable May 19th weekend, and then getting into June and having summer plans, it seemed May 26 was the best option. If this goes well, it won't be the last!

8. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Initiate (197) Jan 21, 2010 Uzbekistan

Still not sure of my whereabouts for the long weekend, but if I am in town, I will be there.

9. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 Texas

I'll be there with some nice bottles in tow.

10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,604) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Hah, was just wondering to come, but that is the day of our annual hb club Brewbeque. Oh well have fun y'all.

11. zipper8650

zipper8650 Initiate (0) May 10, 2011 New York

being new to any kind of bottle share gathering just curious on proper etiquette? How many bottles do you bring? Bring them cold? I assume its a time for breaking out the good stuff?? thanks all, hope it goes through.

12. nkeckhar

nkeckhar Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2010 New York

Ugh - I'll be out of town that weekend, but if the venue flakes and it turns into June 2nd...I'm definitely in. Also if anything smaller goes down - feel free to PM me. I have some Jester King (Thrash/Black Metal), Goose Island (Big John, Night Stalker), Deschutes The Stoic, and Hangar 24 Barrel Roll Series: 4 Hammerhead that I've been looking to share for some other stuff I haven't had. Cheers. Full list of haves here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApdVN1h7AILndEJxRGF4WkJZUUNEdDFGejRDVS1HR0E&output=html

13. cosmicevan

it really varies, but if you have brew that you are holding onto for sharing, a bottle share is the time to break them out, if not for a bottle share, then what the heck are you saving them for? your birthday is only once a year. my tasting group buddies do bottle shares of just a few of us and at times we get these mega tastings going of more than a dozen people.

a good general rule of thumb is to bring something that you think other people would want to try and stuff that isn't sitting on the shelf around the corner. if you know who will be at the bottle share, not a bad idea to check out people's wants and see if you can help someone knock off a want. if you don't trade and only have access to local stuff, a bottle share is a great time to bring out something that was available local but was limited or perhaps something that you've cellared for a while. got a vertical or a horiztonal? tastings are great opportunities to do side-by-side comparisons since you can get small pours of each to compare.

if you don't cellar beer or hang onto bottles in general, a local favorite or cool growler is always cool...or even better yet, bring some snacks or cheese to share with the group if you don't have beer to share. the number one thing i always tell people who are new to a tasting i host is to not get offended if they bring beer and it doesn't get opened. from my experience, people usually bring too much beer. sometimes i will open 6 bottles, other times i will open none. best not to show up empty handed though.

i'm not sure exactly what i'll bring (and still will need to work out logistics to ensure i can come once a venue is selected), but i would say that showing up with 2 bottles is usually a safe bet...i always over-bring, but that makes for options and who doesn't like options?

14. axeman9182

axeman9182 Meyvn (1,123) Aug 5, 2009 New Jersey

I'll be on the fence until closer to the date. Memorial Day Weekend is a tough time for me to take off from work, but I'll see what I can do.

15. GnomeKing

GnomeKing Zealot (502) Feb 6, 2004 Pennsylvania

So, did this go down? I would love to hear about it. Stone Soup down here is fantastic.

16. FlamingMoe

FlamingMoe Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2008 New York

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.