Stone - Southern Charred (2014 series)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (626) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Southern Charred

Proper Name: Southern Charred (2014 Double Bastard Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels)

A special batch of Double Bastard Ale was brewed early and aged in bourbon barrels to ensure that Southern Charred’s 2014 debut would coincide with the release of 2014 Double Bastard Ale. Distinctly and deliciously different than last year’s edition, this is a caramel-and-oak bomb with bourbon aromas amplifying its maltiness. Suffused with layers of caramel, hops, and oak flavors accented with hints of brown sugar, it is incredibly smooth for such a high-gravity beer. It culminates with interwoven notes of caramel, molasses, and raw-oak bitterness for an intense, lingering finish.

Style: American Strong Ale
    AGING/BARREL:
    Style of wine/spirit:
    40 Bourbon Barrels
    Type of wood: American Oak
    AGED 5 MONTHS 100% First-Use Kentucky Bourbon
    IBUs: Classified
    ABV: 13.2%
    Bottled: November 2014
    Distributor Release: November 2014
    Public Release: November 2014

#1 BottleCaps80, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

hell yeah. last year's was awesome. hopefully it's even better

tx_beer_man, sunnrider and JohnnyMc like this.
  3. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,300) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Hopefully, I can grab a bottle this year. Never even saw it on shelves here. I don't even know if it hit shelves in MD. The only place I know that got some was the Stillwater bar, Of Love and Regret.

4. neurobot01

neurobot01 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 California

Hmm, much less time in barrels than last year's, and also possibly not blended (which would mean no charred oak)? Definitely will do a side-by-side when this comes out. And don't worry @PuckIt, I'll grab some for you :wink:

5. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

this guy knows me too well :grinning:

neurobot01 likes this.
  6. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,061) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

really excited, this beer was fantastic!

7. ConradKenney

ConradKenney Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Maryland

Yeah, would be stoked to see it here. Never saw it last year.

8. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (469) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

IDK man compared to a lot of other BA beers out there this tastes like they haphazardly threw arrogant bastard into bourbon barrels. Granted that's a BA beer, the base and barrel didn't complement each other here well last year.

swolepeer likes this.
  9. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,074) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Didn't get to try this one last year. Suppose it's a bit better than Crime...?

2beerdogs likes this.
  10. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I don't think it shares any similarity with Crime other than the colors on the bottle.

StrappingYoungLad and ScottieJD like this.
  11. DrStiffington

I know. I was joking. Christ that Crime was a mess. I'm still holding on to Punishment in the hopes that it will mellow over the next few years.

12. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Disciple (327) Jan 26, 2014 New York

Can anyone tell me what the price was on this first release?

I know its barrel aged, but only 500 ml....hoping not too much

13. PuckIt

*decades

14. DrStiffington

Exactly.

15. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (78) May 23, 2013 California

They average out at about 17 bucks usually.

16. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

Agree 100%. I don't know a single person that likes Crime or Punishment. I say anyone who's excited about Southern Charred just get Fyodor's Classic. Prob same price way better barrel aging.

gshak and DrStiffington like this.
  17. neurobot01

Unless you happen to enjoy any sort of complexity in your BA beer.

Okay, I'm being snarky, but Fyodor's is just another BA stout, which are a dime a dozen (even if good ones are rarer); often, even "complex" BA stouts just have lots of flavors along the same general axes (coconut, toffee, dark fruit, etc), although some do of course bring in other elements (licorice, char, etc). I don't love Southern Charred, but I like what it's going for, and I like that I could pick it out of a line-up of BA offerings, which isn't necessarily true of BCBS/Black Note/Uncle Jacob's/Fyodor's/Parabola/BORIS/etc (some of which are distinct, but all of which overlap pretty heavily).

#17 neurobot01, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    ScottieJD, Kurmaraja and gillagorilla like this.
  18. beernuts

Trader

And its not like you can just walk into your local store and have your pick. For most of us these are very hard to come by. I'd be happy to have either one.

19. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

Hey I have mad respect for you pointing that out. I'll admit that I've come to the point with my BA beers where its either a really well done barley wine or a stout and the stout better blow my tits off but yes I agree with you that Southern Charred is different in its own class. I wish more people like you would review beer because you get what it's going for and aren't gonna throw a 5 down on anything because you're 5 beers deep and having a good time at whatever bar/setting you're at. You have my respect.

ScottieJD likes this.
  20. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

I suppose but I'm sure in Virginia prices are less and there are still gem of bottle stores/liquor stores where you can find near-whales for prices we would only dream of on the west coast. Ya beer shops around here get stuff but they know they have it and they mark it up to a point where you hate yourself inside for caving in a paying a markup where the owner can smile at you and think "ya that was just at his/her breaking point".

21. StoneGreg

StoneGreg Initiate (78) May 16, 2002 California

1) Create two beers that are for for very very few people.
    2) Use two of the most accurate names in the beer industry...names that make it nearly impossible for folks to misinterpret that one beer is a Crime, and the other is pure Punishment.
    3) Communicate clearly and accurately what people should expect from the beers. Use both video and the written word to communicate this. Throw in some pictures as well. Make sure the amount of peppers and heat factor are abundantly clear.
    4) Don't use any "calls to action" in the communication such as "Try one today" or "Get yours before it's too late." In fact, don't say or do anything to encourage people to buy it. Leave that choice up to them.
    5) Price it expensive, after all it was very expensive to make. Certainly the resultant pricing alone will keep all by the most diehard pepper and heat lovers away.
    6) Cue complaining complaining complaining when folks find out that you didn't lie to them or mislead them and the beers were exactly as stated.
    7) Scratch head in wonderment. Consider making people sign a bloody form next time to acknowledge that they know what they're getting themselves into.

I would not expect it to mellow. It's called Punishment. ;-]-=

22. beernuts

Trader

its possible but I kind of doubt it. I live in northern virginia, which is a suburb of Washington DC, and we have one of the highest cost of livings in the US. Highly sought after large format bottles are usually in the upper teens and can easily push into the 20's and some into the 30's. There are of course some more localized breweries that make world class beer that isn't nationally known, and that's really where its at. I can get a special release from Hardywood, Williamsburg Alewerks, or Three Brothers for usually around $12. Even those are starting to rise though, Three Brothers' Resolute, a BA stout that is every bit as good as any, will sell for $18 I think this year. And that's at the brewery, which is in a fairly rural college town 2 hours from here. If any were to hypothetically make it into a store up here (it won't), it would go for over $20.

23. DrStiffington

Sheesh! It's literally the only beer from Stone that I didn't like. I paid for the beer, I knew it would be hot, but I still thought I'd like it. I didn't. I'm allowed to have an opinion, right?

24. StoneGreg

StoneGreg Initiate (78) May 16, 2002 California

LOL. Of course. That wasn't aimed at you specifically, but at the general reactions I've picked up on from many folks. Glad you like our other stuff!

Try this...next time you're having a group of people for enjoying beers, crack open the Punishment and try dosing a half oz or so into the IPAs or Double IPAs you're drinking. I love to do this myself. Adds in a less-punishing amount of heat, but still quite a bit, and also I really like the citrus / heat interplay. Personally, it's my favorite way to enjoy Punishment. Cheers!

deford, Ristaccia, sunnrider and 8 others like this.
  25. DrStiffington

Actually, that sounds like the best way to consume that beer. Thanks for the tip!

26. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Disciple (337) May 30, 2009 California

Anyone know if this may be hitting Northern California? :slight_smile:

ScottieJD likes this.
  27. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,140) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Ive still got my 2013...i guess it is time to drink it to make room for this year's :slight_smile:

neurobot01 likes this.
  28. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,140) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Quit being so reasonable.

29. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,107) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I really hope I can grab a bottle this year; I was pretty pissed when I missed it last year (the only one of Stone's one-offs I didn't see). I bought Crime instead, and...

:slight_frown:

30. neurobot01

So, can anyone who's had a chance to try this year's (and also had last year's) speak to whether the barrel-time difference has a noticeable impact on the taste?

31. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

For the record I have and would again easily pick BCBS and Parabola out of that lineup blind. Both are very distinctive. To my palate, there isn't a beer out there that has the mouthfeel of BCBS or the distinctive toasted coconut bomb that is FW's barrel program's call sign. The rest, I'll give you, are varying degrees of similar.

On topic, I really enjoyed Mikhail's Odd and will likely seek this out as well. It's Stone, who does everything quite well. Maybe not the best of the best out there, but I haven't been anywhere near disappointed by any of their offerings.

neurobot01 likes this.
  32. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Honestly, I'm a little bit scared, Southern Charred is one of my favorite beers ever from Stone and hearing of a change, well...luckily I just picked up three from 2013. :wink:

33. gillagorilla

This is a tweet from the DMV Stone Rep.
    I really wish Stone was better at telling people up front what the distribution would/will be like with special releases like this (unless I somehow missed it this time). This is just like what happened with w00tstout 2.0 and Varna Necropolis.

@StoneGreg Whatever happened to Quingenti Millilitre releases going national?

Just my little input for the online comment box. I'm loving everything else though.

Edit: It says So-Cal only on the sales materials site, but the general press releases don't say that. Also, hitting distribution can be confusing because they mean your 'local' distribution through Stone's own distribution company.

#33 gillagorilla, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Ristaccia and tx_beer_man like this.
  34. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (285) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

So this is seeing virtually no distribution, or am I missing something?

35. Wylde

Wylde Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2008 Ohio

Damnit. No Ohio for this. Stupid laws

36. are_doubleyou

are_doubleyou Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2014 Illinois

I liked Crime and Punishment. Not as much as Dostoevsky's classic, but they were excellent chile beers in my opinion. I drank each bomber in its entirety and would have had more. If I see them again I actually might pick up a couple more to save them from being bought by people who will just drainpour them after not listening to Stone's advice.

I am one of those diehard spice and pepper lovers that Greg mentioned BTW.

Also sad to see that Southern Charred isn't getting national distribution. It sounds interesting.

tx_beer_man and StoneGreg like this.
  37. gillagorilla

Correct.
    Nobody is seeing it outside of So-Cal.

This is from Stone's Sales Materials website.

38. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,238) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky
    Trader

Normal consumer.

Oh look a new stone beer, aged in bourbon barrels! Oh yeah they did peppers for that vertical epic, it was pretty good and I don't even like peppers. No idea what kind these are....I mean I don't eat them, but stone is always great.

Pour beer

WHAT IN THE FREAKING HELL IS THIS AWFUL CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it was only 20 dollars, for a bourbon barrel aged beer today that isn't close to causing most to double take. Price it at 40 or 50 and sure people would think twice. BTW I have 3 bottles left of that shit since I just assumed I had to buy fast!

39. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Was really excited for this last year and found one of the few bottles in my area. The barrel quality was amazing but it was much hoppier than I was expecting, thought the aging would lessen the hops but no. This one's aged shorter so it might even be hoppier!

40. PuckIt

I'll trade you my pair for some Illinois goodies?

deford likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.